Weathering a truck with an airbrush, an idiots guide mark 2.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
pugwash said:
Quick question Mel, looks like the jars of acrylic paint screw straight onto the airbrush, are they a standard size? And obviously if I wanted to use enamels would they have to be put in a jar, and subsequently washing out the jar with thinners? :nerd:

Yes, you hit the nail on the head Ian. The Tamiya paint jars screw straight onto Badger airbrushes. What I found using enamels (The little Humbrol tins) was that they always needed thinning for airbrushing and you then had to be really scrupulous with the mixing otherwise they wouldn't dry matt. Then the mixed paint had to be decanted into an airbrush jar and finally, (as you say) everything had to be thoroughly washed in yet more thinners. Not only does this cost a fortune in thinners, but you waste such a lot of paint that a little tin often only does one or two jobs. Plus, all this faffing about is often what puts people off using an airbrush. I hope I've shown that it doesn't need to be that way.

I should mention that I went on a trip with the G Scale Society to David Buckingham's brilliant railway a couple of years ago and met David's friend who weathers all of his stock for him. This guy really knew his stuff (he'd done some work on the models for the original Star Wars films) and I got a lot of these tips from him. Also, although he used a higher quality airbrush than mine, he still seldom spent more than about 25 quid on an airbrush.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
pugwash said:
Quick question Mel, looks like the jars of acrylic paint screw straight onto the airbrush, are they a standard size? And obviously if I wanted to use enamels would they have to be put in a jar, and subsequently washing out the jar with thinners? :nerd:

Yes, you hit the nail on the head Ian. The Tamiya paint jars screw straight onto Badger airbrushes.

Yeah but watch out - there are two sizes of Tamiya jar. Recently I've only been able to find the smaller size jars, so I make sure I keep all my old larger jars that do indeed fit some airbrushes. Of course you can also buy paint jars that will fit, from artist supply shops and the like.

What I found using enamels (The little Humbrol tins) was that they always needed thinning for airbrushing and you then had to be really scrupulous with the mixing otherwise they wouldn't dry matt. Then the mixed paint had to be decanted into an airbrush jar and finally, (as you say) everything had to be thoroughly washed in yet more thinners. Not only does this cost a fortune in thinners, but you waste such a lot of paint that a little tin often only does one or two jobs.

I was taught that for best results with airbrushing you should thin enamels to the consistency of milk and use several fine coats. Hence I tend to keep my commonly used Humbrols thinned in their tins anyway, and simply use an eye dropper to transfer small amounts to my airbrush. I use a top-feed airbrush with it's own small paint recepticle as I find this is easier to work with small amounts of paint and little wastage.

Same goes for my Tamiya acrylics - I tend to keep a jar slightly pre-thinned with water, plus another full strength jar for brush painting.

Plus, all this faffing about is often what puts people off using an airbrush. I hope I've shown that it doesn't need to be that way.
Yes, great article and will be very helpful to get folk to have a go!

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for putting this thread back on Mel, nice one.

I'm an idiot so I reckon I'll be having a go.

Edit Just a thought, I've got the brown L & B Vans, would Mels weathering colours suggestions work on the brown OK? (told you I was an idiot). :D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
3Valve said:
Thanks for putting this thread back on Mel, nice one.

I'm an idiot so I reckon I'll be having a go.

Edit Just a thought, I've got the brown L & B Vans, would Mels weathering colours suggestions work on the brown OK? (told you I was an idiot). :D

Yes mate the colours would work. As the brown is darker that the light grey, you would probably use the darker weathering colours. I reckon a quick wash of Khaki followed by one of dark grey would likely be just the ticket.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Try painting a piece of card roughly the same colour as the truck, then practice on that.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]Super smashing champion great,

I am now confident to get that present from ages ago out of its box. clap an air bottle to it and screw that bargain jar of paint up,

I class myself as less able than an idiot, so my confidence has soared

thank you
[/align]