WEATHER PROOFING LGB SWITCH MOTORS

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
No protection on my 10+ point motors but when the railway is not in use a ceramic tile is placed on top of each motor. The tiles are heavy enough to stop the wind moving them, 5 winters survived without problems. The tiles also protect the point blades and frogs.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
van5 said:
No protection on my 10+ point motors but when the railway is not in use a ceramic tile is placed on top of each motor. The tiles are heavy enough to stop the wind moving them, 5 winters survived without problems. The tiles also protect the point blades and frogs.

I would suggest that this and a dab of silicon grease in the terminals to stop any corrosion, would be more than sufficient.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I just use mine regularly - fine for three years now and some were second hand then.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
mbiff said:
lol - u nutters - aint the screws plated brass !!!

That's what we all thought. But that just goes to show you what can happen when you think. :thinking:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
mbiff said:
lol - u nutters - aint the screws plated brass !!!

Early ones are definatly plated, probably zinc though. The later ones ie LGB implosion time seem to have a reputation for rusting at the cover screws and terminal screw's all mine are like me, old!! so I've never had a problem with the either set's of screws.....................

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe i have the wrong idea of the thread but this was my simple answer mainly done for cosmetics

d343f1281c5d4929b99b7141905f89a8.jpg

360a2d2f15bd4e8eb919d46fddbffece.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I have just covered mine up with labels from the dymo machine as i numbered em all for ease of use. That is if ever get round to having visitors....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
I have just covered mine up with labels from the dymo machine as i numbered em all for ease of use. That is if ever get round to having visitors....

Thats a good suggestion. Simply place tape over the screw holes. Brilliant.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Met an interseting problem with mine today. I was totally full of a very fine dust - looked a bit like cement. Ants have been in and filled it with that fine earth you see around nest entrances. Quick dismantle, blow clean (lung power) and reassemble - works fine.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thats the nice thing about these switch motors. They are easy to disassemble and clean.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:

I like that idea?

Consider it stolen....

Mike Bett

Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I simply cover mine with a small strip of good insulation tape (black) it keeps the water out and can be peeled off if needed and then replaced with a new bit.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi
I have often advocated on this forum and GSM that the application of a blob of LGB graphite grease should be applied to the "screw holes" of anything outside which is electrical that includes point motors decoders etc.

I have done this for many many years and it does prevent the screws becoming rusted and therefore they can be easily unscrewed if nescessary.

afew years back a retrailer sold me some used point motors whichhad been in outside use for around 18 months, he did not charge me for the attached 55024 decoders as the previous user had taken no precautions and initially the screws were solid, (WD40 did eventually come to the rescue)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have often mentioned when I started in G scale in '76 there were very few sources of advice ( if any) and the few users around in those days had to experiment!
I would say that it seems that many these days seem a little afraid to do anything without getting chapter & verse on things before daring to make a move!
Experiment a little you will be surprised what you learn!!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
Hi
I have often advocated on this forum and GSM that the application of a blob of LGB graphite grease should be applied to the "screw holes" of anything outside which is electrical that includes point motors decoders etc.

I have done this for many many years and it does prevent the screws becoming rusted and therefore they can be easily unscrewed if nescessary.

afew years back a retrailer sold me some used point motors whichhad been in outside use for around 18 months, he did not charge me for the attached 55024 decoders as the previous user had taken no precautions and initially the screws were solid, (WD40 did eventually come to the rescue)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have often mentioned when I started in G scale in '76 there were very few sources of advice ( if any) and the few users around in those days had to experiment!
I would say that it seems that many these days seem a little afraid to do anything without getting chapter & verse on things before daring to make a move!
Experiment a little you will be surprised what you learn!!

Odd that you should mention graphite paste. It's the very first thing I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I agree with your experimentation theory. It's how I have learned garden railroading. But as I like to point out to my younger co-workers, when I work that is, I have forgotten more than than you guys will ever know.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
too true steve..

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I never did anything with my one and only LGB electric point - it operated off 12 volts Dc on a momentary switch. Its dead now - it wasn't the rain that killed it but rather a misguided visitor who rerailed a loco on the point and told me it was clear! It wasn't until I went to look at it myself that I saw the problem - the loco was jamming the point and being told to switch point (more than once I might add) killed the point motor.
To be honest, I haven't taken it apart, but it was working immediately prior to the incident and now it isn't!

Mick