Water

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Hi all,

Anyone have a good link for integrating real water features? Looking for the simplest ideas, like small falls through short river too small pond and return tube.

Thanks in advance.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I cannot help with an answer, all I can do is post a pic to drool over and hopefully inspire. It was taken in the garden of Paul (father) & Aaron (son) Wise at their G Scale Society garden open day at Lambourn, Berkshire, Bank Holiday Monday, 29.8.2016. Their garden slopes very steeply and as such lends itself to a spectacular water feature. Us mere mortals with more level ground could never replicate a feature like this.

dig 160829045.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Wow. That’s beyond impressive. Good for inspiration. Now have to find out the mechanics. I am sure (pretty sure) that it’s the basic pond garden. But I am curious about lining the feature and if you can indeed make scale (ish) rivers, etcetera...how much flow is required and such.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wow. That’s beyond impressive. Good for inspiration. Now have to find out the mechanics. I am sure (pretty sure) that it’s the basic pond garden. But I am curious about lining the feature and if you can indeed make scale (ish) rivers, etcetera...how much flow is required and such.
Water feature creation is a pretty large subject, s Hobby in its own right in fact.

Certainly for a good feature the best Liner you can afford works, Butyle is what you need. The Pond itself could be a preformed One but these can be a bit tricky to disguise and make natural, if you go that route it should be a Black one. Digging the hole can also be a big job but the excess soil can be used for say a Water Course if you have the space. If you do a Water Course line the sides with bricks to make a ravine then put in Liner over the bricks and cover that with Rocks do not forget the Underliner to protect your Butyle. Those Rocks can be held in place with cement or joins disguised by smaller rocks and pebbles. Any Cemet used near the Water if Fish are involved should be sealed with G4 to protect them from Cement Chemicals. Now for your pump, this can be tricky to work out as distance covered to the top of your Water Course and height lifted can both effect the Water Flow. Do you want a Torrent of Trickle?

Much of this advice can be confirmed with a Good Pond Supplier, do not use a Major DIY Store to get the bits as they will not be able to give expert advice. A Fish Stockist, Koi Stockist will also be able to help I find them to be very interested in whatever your project is and may even be able to do it for you if your Budget extends to that.

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 3 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look at the various layouts in the 'picture' section on here. Several very good pond and stream sections.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Excellent system. I liked reading the write-up. A simple handmade system without cost and limitations of pre-made water systems. What sort of pump did you use (what do I look for in terms of power...do they advertise in flow per minute?)? Thank you!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent system. I liked reading the write-up. A simple handmade system without cost and limitations of pre-made water systems. What sort of pump did you use (what do I look for in terms of power...do they advertise in flow per minute?)? Thank you!
Hi Jeff
Mine is rated at 8500 l/h. I managed to buy it in a sale several years ago. I tried a cheaper pump first but it was too weedy.
IMG_8500.JPG

Rik

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Perfect, thank you.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Wow, converting to gallons it’s about 37 gpm. Quite powerful indeed! No wonder you had to split the line.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've found that a spa pump often works well, they come in "two speed" versions and the slower speed is often perfect.

I have a hayward SP1510-z-24-e ... about 23 gpm... on low speed...

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jeff,

I suggest you take a look at the Russell Water Gardens and Koi website. I bought my initial "pondless" waterfall setup from them as a kit. There are some step-by-step directions there. They were very helpful to me. My pump, a ShinMaywa Norus 50CR2.4S, flows a bit over 5000 gph. I get a good looking flow in my stream which is averages a little over 2 feet wide.

You might want to take a look at my "Phil S' RR" thread in G Scale Pictures on this forum.

Phil S.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Huge thanks, Phil. I’ll take a look. I am at that stage that I’m excited about all the plans resultant from daydreaming.