Wanted marler lights classification lights

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks would anyone have a set of marker/classification lights spare please,brass or plastic similar to the picture ideally clear colour for front of an American loco ..

Attachments

• IMG_3979 _2_.jpeg
    IMG_3979 _2_.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks would anyone have a set of marker/classification lights spare please,brass or plastic

That is a bit of a sweeping statement Paul..
Could you be a little more specific?

Do you mean the red/green 'lanterns' for side-markers on some LGB stock?
Lamps for LGB loco's? - If so, which?
Something more 'British'? - If so which region?
Big? - Like on an Otto?
Small? - Like on a little 'Field Railway' loco?

Cheers,
PhilP.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Your request is not one to be taken lightly

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks would anyone have a set of marker/classification lights spare please,brass or plastic similar to the picture ideally clear colour for front of an American loco ..
Looking at the picture one wonders what that came off, I doubt you will find anything like that except from a discarded original.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Trackside details has brass classification lights ( i didnt see drgw style)
ozark miniatures....perhaps

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the photo that you included in your post was of a Bachmann K27 boiler front.
A spare of this (including the marker lights) can be bought from Bachmann trains in the US but not UK...here is a link :

Their C19 boiler front door (which included the marker lights) is now out of stock.
I bought a couple some time back and still have them as spares for kit bashing.

Accucraft also used to have them as a separate item .. again I bought a few before they ran out.

I will check to see if I have any left ..the Accucraft ones were not cheap.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
First of all, to help anyone that cares; The true name of the "lights" shown in the picture are "Classification Lights" or for short "Class Lights".
In North America they indicate the "Class" of train the locomotive is pulling. Normally they could be; WHITE, if it is an extra train, not on the timetable, or GREEN, if there is a second section of the timetabled train following. RED is NOT normally shown by these lights, unless a locomotive is running in reverse, at the tail end of its train.
The rule governing the use of these Class Lights is: "Flags by day, and Lights by night". As modellers, we do most of our running/operating trains, in a daylight situation, so should really be using FLAGS, not lights, in most situations, although few seem to care, and have sort of an attitude that "More Bells, whistles, and lights the better" !!
Others have suggested a few suppliers of model Lanterns, and lights...mostly located in the US of A, but if anyone is looking for replacement parts for Aristocraft locomotives, try: GLX Scale Models, in Canada www.glxscalemodels.com
I must warn modellers of North American Railways, that the use of Class Lights/flags in these modern day has drastically changed, from the days of steam locomotives, and early era Diesel electric power.
BTW...last but not forgotten...in the old days of Cabooses; the lanterns/lights on the end cars of trains were called "Marker Lights, or Markers". The saying was..."Markers bring up the rear" (Of the train).
I hope this note is of some help to those interested.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there sir thankyou for replying to my post,,I am aware that bachmann has them back in stock,but to be totally honest ,the postage to ireland has got ridiculous and I cant justify it.