VW Combi Drasine/Speeder

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, as I mentioned earlier, the Brekina offering is a tad pricey, but I believe it's at 1:22.5 scale.

127ab9773f734a44aba8781c2d8bc042.jpg

To make one yourself, there are really two scale options; 1:18 where the models are readily assembled, die cast, with lots of opening bits and pieces, which could open at embarassing times. The other drawback is that the models are about £40, and are quite highly detailed, a bit to posh for chopping to bits.

The other scale is 1:24, where there are a few options. I bought the die cast, screw together (as in 2 screws) simple kit, which can still be found on evil bay for about £10.

There are also various ready built, die cast models at that scale, including a customized cut-down window job, and various emergency vehicles with a roof light mounted front centre - should be easy enough to dismember these by drilling out presumably just two rivets.

Also, and this is what started me off, Revell have just brought out a plastic kit at £25, and there are still some of the old Hasegawa kits on evil bay, especially interesting if you want a van as opposed to a micro bus. Haven't seen inside a Revell box, but the Hasegawa body is basically a one piece with a few doors to fit.

I felt the die cast body would be fairly resilient, as would the slightly heavier duty plastic chassis that they use.

So here we go :clap:

9bed32c332f14d489fbed355438ff205.jpg

I first attacked the chassis. I think if I were not trying to keep to a tight budget, and use as much stuff as can be found in the spares box, I could have been be tempted to work with a 1:32 slot car chassis, which would provide instant bearing and motor mount solutions.

Never mind, front bearings are Slaters, reamed out to accommodate the Accucraft axles; I soldered small nickel silver tangs onto them, to provide a bit of anchorgae when fixing to the plastic with 2-part epoxy. Rear set up is brasss tube, soldered to brass RHS acting as a spacer, soldered to a brass plate, epoxy glued and screwed to teh plastic chassis. The motor mount is a pieces of brass bent into a top hat section, and then with side reinforcing pieces soldered on - these are a bit oversize due to the first chassis/body mod which is....

To accommodate the 45mm gauge wheels, the chassis has to be cut back a by 2/3 mm each side, and the plastic wheels arch inners have to be cut away from the seat/interior moulding.

Here's the chassis, motor is mounted at a slight angle to miss the rear seat back :clap:

b44983f5d0824a19b175624fdeb7dedf.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
That's looking good. :)
Just think if you go for a Westfalia conversion the PW gang would have somewhere to brew up and have a kip! :rofl:

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
What gears did you use in the gearbox?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Doug said:
What gears did you use in the gearbox?

The motor still had the pinion from the Bachmann Big Hauler (this was an early battery powered version with plastic drive wheels) and I simply used the crown wheel that formed the first cog on the drive train, bored out to force fit on the Accucraft axle (slightly eccentric as well - the crown wheel, not me - but the pinion is long enough to accommodate that)

It's probably a bit highly geared, but for a simple lightweight, I thought it wouldn't matter.

This is the second project that's used bits from Paul (Rhb) 's bug mauler that he sold me, and the third project that's used bits from that same £10 transaction :clap::clap::clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Right, now the seats are in place - but there's bit more chopping to do to fit the battery boxes :-

There's less space around the motor than I thought, so I've got to find another location for the charging jack. Under the front seat, below the driver's backside seems an interestsing possibility :banghead:

6b4a8152d9cb403da3f610f3875e0c23.jpg

And a trial fit of the body -well you have to don't you? bit more paintwork to do to change the colour scheme from a family car to a railway workbus :thinking:

194e0c0e1ccf4963972b9ec2bd96f6c2.jpg

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
That is brilliant Ian :clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hold your horses (well, your meekats actually) - wait until it's finished, it's going to be a bit of a squeeze.

Anyone got a 1:24 model of a meerkat for the driver? Otherwise my LGB driver's going to need a bit of surgery to fit :callme:

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Hold your horses (well, your meekats actually) - wait until it's finished, it's going to be a bit of a squeeze.

Anyone got a 1:24 model of a meerkat for the driver? Otherwise my LGB driver's going to need a bit of surgery to fit :callme:

42d6fac46af84cc2bd79d9b3e799672b.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'll have the one in the middle :D

Where did you get the family, Steve? :-

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
Where did you get the family, Steve? :-
Well, mummy and daddy meercat were in a good mood ...................... :rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
'Twos a leading question - I thought somebody would oblige :happy::happy:

I was also wondering where it would be possible to buy a little family of meerkats like that - I'm hooked now, I can envisage it, mounted on a spring, so that it sways from side to side as the Combi rattles along :D:D

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
I was also wondering where it would be possible to buy a little family of meerkats like that - I'm hooked now, I can envisage it, mounted on a spring, so that it sways from side to side as the Combi rattles along :D:D
It would be SOOOOOOO disappointing if you didn't do it now!;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Find me a Meerkat !! :eek:nphone::eek:nphone: :callme::callme: :impatient::impatient:

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
MMTS Bought them for me

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
MMTS Bought them for me

Where's Edward, he owes me a beer - I'll exchange it for a family of meerkats :clap::clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Steve said:
MMTS Bought them for me

Where's Edward, he owes me a beer - I'll exchange it for a family of meerkats :clap::clap:

I believe he's still trying to appease his missus.... :happy:

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
i will have a look next time im in town and get you one;)

FYI they are by seilhch

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Body mods today.

Plus did a bit of the electrics last night, but there's not much to show for that.

7f46de7762f24a2b9d6c0d4f113c979a.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
More progress :D

Charging jack, on/off/charging switch, and battery packs installed.

'Tis v. tight inside :banghead:

Picture's not too good - I painted the inside a darkish brown, more suited to railway workmen that light fawn, and the flash seemed to be confused by the white modelling board behind :rolleyes:

608cb3f219d34d00bfcf0fcec1352f1f.jpg

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Come on Ian this is brilliant have you done any more