VOLLDAMPF magazine from Germany

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Last week I asked if anyone on here had seen a copy of a German-published G scale magazine called VOLLDAMPF - apart from a couple of people who responded that they had seen/got the odd copy, it seemed like most folks over here were unaware of it (or if they knew of it, hadn't actually seen one). So, on finding that their website offers a free sample copy (posted anywhere within Europe free of charge), I thought the best thing was to ask for one - which I did, got a very polite email in response, and the copy turned up in the post this morning, just five days after I'd requested it online. I said that I'd review it here when it arrived, so here goes.....

I was sent issue 1 of the 2011 volume, which has a cover price of 5 Euros.
Physically, it's an A4 magazine, 58 pages plus stiff card covers, perfect-bound, and printed in full colour throughout on a very nice quality semi-gloss art paper. It's a VERY well produced mag - for print, paper and production quality the best thing I can liken it to is those very upmarket, glossy modelling mags that you find in WH Smiths - Air Modeller and AFV Modeller. If you've ever leafed through a copy of those, you'll know the sort of thing I mean.

Of course, no matter how nicely produced a magazine is, it stands or falls by its actual contents. Well, from what I can see, VOLLDAMPF is very good in this regard too. I say "from what I can see", because I don't read much German. What I do know is from a couple of years of school lessons (mostly long forgotten) plus many holidays in Germany and Austria as a kid (from which I probably picked up and have remembered much more of the language than I did from school!). Basically, I can read most of the picture captions, and figure out SOME of the text - already being familiar with the context helps. But, even with this limitation, I still consider the magazine to be a good buy - it is filled with excellent colour photos (model and prototype), inspiration and ideas which make it well worth the money, in my opinion - and if you can read the text as well, consider that a bonus! ;)
There is a LOT in the issue I was sent - a comprehensive multi-page article on the 2011 Nurnberg toy fair, covering all the G-scale manufacturers there; a very well-illustrated layout report; prototype articles on the HSB, RHB and the Orange Empire Railway Museum (USA); a piece on coach lighting and other electrics; new product reviews; a full-page review of the new HSB KoF; "special freight on the RHB" (with a dismantled LGB croc being moved on LGB flat cars!); and an excellent photo article on the winners of a competition to customise a Stainz - the results of which are quite amazing and very inspirational. There is more too, news pages, hints and tips, etc etc. There are adverts, of course, but the don't dominate the mag and it's very interesting (and useful) to see ads from German suppliers and manufacturers.

Of course, the other thing I must say is that it's ALL G SCALE; LGB features heavily of course, but Piko, Trainline and others get a good showing too. It's mostly Euro stuff, though some US stock gets a bit of coverage. The only live steam I could see was Regner, who had a full-page advert. Being into Euro G and track power, I liked it a lot, as you can probably tell; live steam fans and US prototype modellers would find less of use in it, but there would still be some stuff in there for them, and it's all excellent eye-candy.

Overall verdict? Very impressed, both in presentation and content. I will be ordering a subscription based on this sample issue, and will probably buy a couple of years' worth of back issues as well. Highly recommended - take a look!
http://www.volldampf.org/

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You're welcome, James, I think you'll like it. :clap:

Jon

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
How do I order the preview copy, Im not too good with the lingo bit, says he who's traveling to Germany next month........:rolleyes:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve, put "Volldampf" into Google, then ask it to translate the page into English; it's not perfect, but it's good enough.
Then go to the online-shop page, full in your address details and click the box for the free sample issue - you can even choose if you want the latest issue (the one I got) or an earlier one. Then go to the bottom of the page, click the button to say you're just ordering the free sample, then the one to say you've read the terms and conditions.

Jon.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Jon, I think Ive done it...........:D

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers... I think ive just ordered one too
No good with the words but I like pictures ;)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mmts said:
Cheers... I think ive just ordered one too
No good with the words but I like pictures ;)

Me too....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
So, have you folks had your sample issues yet? What did you think?

This morning the postie delivered a very heavy package from Germany - enough reading material (well, OK, looking-at-pictures-material) for several months - I decided to order all the Volldampf back issues that were listed as available on their website, so I now have complete years from 2004 to 2010; ordering them all in one go meant only one fixed shipping fee for the big parcel. Now to start looking though them and getting inspired...... :clap:

Jon.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jon mine arrived yesterday.
I thought the quality of production was very high - and wished I could read German, as there seems to be a lot of good content!

Photo reproduction was good - and as Jon states in his initial review the variety of content appeals to me greatly. I just with there was an English translation available!

Interestingly cover price is 5euros, cheaper than Volldampf but with a card cover and thicker stock for the paper.

I don't think I can justify a subscription - unless I learn German... however those with a basic German understanding could probably get enough understanding to make it worthwhile.