Very new again!

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Years ago had a reasonable collection of G scale, all of it long gone, the sunny weather has tempted me to buy another Stainz and start again, but this time it will be just one loco ,and a minimum of track.
Absolutely astounded by how prices have risen, but what hasn’t! Anyway hello, hope to learn a bit, again!

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Years ago had a reasonable collection of G scale, all of it long gone, the sunny weather has tempted me to buy another Stainz and start again, but this time it will be just one loco ,and a minimum of track.
Absolutely astounded by how prices have risen, but what hasn’t! Anyway hello, hope to learn a bit, again!
Welcome to the forum, all theadvice you'll ever need is available on here. As for prices, they probably haven't risen that much in real terms, but you tend get better quality stuff, with much more advanced running capabilities

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I tried that starting off with one loco and a short track But.... This stuff breeds Be warned. Best thing to do is don't go on Ebay or look at any trading sites etc Yeah Right. There is no cure once you start:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
This is the Stainz I’ve ordered, think it’s an older version, without sound/smoke, just got to get some track power connectors , then should be good to go. I am really susceptible to model train obsessive buying, so have got to be controlled by wife. Lack of space/money is no deterrent unfortunately!5B6DDBDE-FF7B-4D55-8AE8-450857383A58.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
the sunny weather has tempted me to buy another Stainz and start again, but this time it will be just one loco ,and a minimum of track.

Famous first words, and welcome from the Colonies.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
How are you all doing down there? Think NZ has kept this awful thing at bay pretty well? Visited Auckland and Wellington in 1967 on the way home from by ship from Sydney.
Never believed all the stories the Aussies told me about your countrymen!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!

Good advice (mostly), bad jokes (compulsory), and we likes pictures! :):nod:

PhilP.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Pete....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
This is the Stainz I’ve ordered, think it’s an older version, without sound/smoke, just got to get some track power connectors , then should be good to go. I am really susceptible to model train obsessive buying, so have got to be controlled by wife. Lack of space/money is no deterrent unfortunately!View attachment 267534

Hmm, from Rails Vault? They've had a multitude of Stainz for sale recently.

Oh, and only total, permanent lockdown will limit you to one loco and a short length of track.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
How are you all doing down there? Think NZ has kept this awful thing at bay pretty well? Visited Auckland and Wellington in 1967 on the way home from by ship from Sydney.
Never believed all the stories the Aussies told me about your countrymen!

We are well ahead of the game in the C-19 stakes. By next week, there will be no restrictions on mass gatherings, or social distancing etc. just boarder controls, which basically comes down to from where you come from. If your country has met the same level of C-19 control, then you may, just, get in.
Wellington hasn't changed much since 1967..... I was there then, and am still here.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, from Rails Vault? They've had a multitude of Stainz for sale recently.

Oh, and only total, permanent lockdown will limit you to one loco and a short length of track.
Surely this is essential services, how else will plastic people get anywhere?:)

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I thought C-19 was a 2-8-0 loco. :think:

Welcome Pete. Your Stainz is an earlier one. You can tell by the metal rods. I'm not sure if you are familiar with what's available now but if you are after some budget bogie gondolas, the Newqida/Train one's are a good deal with 2 in each box. They come with hook n' loop couplings. The seller below on eBay seems to have the best deal. ;) Careful comparing prices with other sellers, some sell them individually.

G Scale Garden Flat Bed Cargo Wagon Freight Carriage 45MM Gauge Railway Train UK | eBay

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Or look for Playmobil on eBay or post in the Wanted section on this forum.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I thought C-19 was a 2-8-0 loco. :think:

C-19 is indeed a 2-8-0, and Corona is a nice drop of beer, too. Funny how the latest fads always pinch respected names.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is the Stainz I’ve ordered, think it’s an older version, without sound/smoke, just got to get some track power connectors , then should be good to go. I am really susceptible to model train obsessive buying, so have got to be controlled by wife. Lack of space/money is no deterrent unfortunately!View attachment 267534
That looks very much like some sort of a special livery or perhaps was done for a specific Set. Certainly does not appear in LOk book of allegedly all LGB Locomotives. The metal valve gear is certainly a Bit of a give away on age as this changed to plastic around 1997-2001. Though there are instances of either type of gear between those dates! 21211 Stainz2 is dated between 1997-2000 plastic valve gear but Stainz Augsburger Puppenkiste 25201 is dated 2000 with Metal Valve hear, though this was a special edition. Enjoy your Stainz, they are long lived locomotives and as you can see give many years of relatively trouble free service.

Oh welcome back to the fold.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the Stainz has left it's mark on the GScale world

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
That looks very much like some sort of a special livery or perhaps was done for a specific Set. Certainly does not appear in LOk book of allegedly all LGB Locomotives. The metal valve gear is certainly a Bit of a give away on age as this changed to plastic around 1997-2001. Though there are instances of either type of gear between those dates! 21211 Stainz2 is dated between 1997-2000 plastic valve gear but Stainz Augsburger Puppenkiste 25201 is dated 2000 with Metal Valve hear, though this was a special edition. Enjoy your Stainz, they are long lived locomotives and as you can see give many years of relatively trouble free service.

Oh welcome back to the fold.
Thanks for your trouble, think Rails had obtained someone’s collection of Stainz locos, I liked the look of the metal rods and there seemed to be quite a bit of rivet detail and nameplate etc. Hasn’t been dispatched yet, but getting quite childishly excited already!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your trouble, think Rails had obtained someone’s collection of Stainz locos, I liked the look of the metal rods and there seemed to be quite a bit of rivet detail and nameplate etc. Hasn’t been dispatched yet, but getting quite childishly excited already!

I've seen both split and bottom plate style motor blocks with the metal rods. They all work well, the split one just more difficult to open for inspection and lubrication.