Very basic questions about using DCC.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Is it always essential to have insulated rail joiners each end of a reverse loop, please?

SW
The reverse loop must have an isolated section therefore two insulators at each end one for each rail.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, the concept is that you must be free to "reverse" the connections to that part of the track freely, both rails. If either rail is not completely isolated, reversing it's connections could cause a short.

I'm curious why this question came up after the protracted Q&A on this?

Greg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Greg.

For the second part of the question and the chance to "double your money", I have one track off my main line which then, through a point, becomes 2 tracks which then rejoin the mainline.

Where do I put my isolating joiners where the track comes off via one track, please? I can either put them before the point or after the point and isolate both tracks of my reverse loop. (Hope that makes sense?)

Thanks,

Sarah Winfield

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
It actually did though perhaps my description was in-accurate.

I hope my previous post clarifies the situation.

Sarah Winfield

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Unless the point and additional tracks/ sidings are part of the reverse loop isolated section (not really advised) you would only need to isolate it if you want to switch off all power to any engine stored on the sidings.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
YES !!!!

The reverse loop must be completely isolated....

Echoing Gregs' very emphatic YES!
The loop (or at the very least, a long enough section of it to take the complete length of the longest train you will ever run on the line) MUST be totally isolated from the rest of the track (isolators in both rails, at both ends of the section). The reason is that the isolated section must be free to have its track polarity reversed without in any way affecting the polarity of the rest of the layout.

Jon

Edit: sorry, was typing and posting this before reading all the subsequent replies, so apologies for re-stating the same as other posts - however this is a very important point and thus cannot be stated too many times! ;)