Using the 55016p Loco Remote in analogue mode

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
I have just acquired a 55016p Loco remote. I am currently using a 51070 analogue controller on my indoor layout that is under construction. I had thought that the remote just plugged into the back of the 51070 if one wanted to operate in tethered mode. However, reading the instruction booklet, it appears that it is only possible to use the 55016 in analogue mode when connected through the LGB wireless transmitter/receiver.

This does seem to be borne out by plugging the loco remote into the 51070 controller, where it has not worked. Am I missing something, or should I have researched this more carefully. The instructions are rather vague for analogue operation. The most glaringly obvious thing I have not done yet it is to put batteries in the remote, but the instructions imply this is only necessary for wireless operation in analogue or digital. I thought I would put it to the brains trust here for advice, rather than just slapping some batteries in and possibly damaging the remote or the 51070 controller.

Have I bought myself something that is (for the moment at least) useless. I don't really want to use wireless as (a) it is pointless in an indoor layout occupying a room that is 3 x 3.8m and (b) the wireless equipment is nearly double the cost of the 55016! In the nearish future I will be moving to MTS, so I can use the handset then (although my intent is to use the MTS central station with the Massoth Navigator).

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Lobethalbahn2 said:
Have I bought myself something that is (for the moment at least) useless. I don't really want to use wireless as (a) it is pointless in an indoor layout occupying a room that is 3 x 3.8m and (b) the wireless equipment is nearly double the cost of the 55016! In the nearish future I will be moving to MTS, so I can use the handset then (although my intent is to use the MTS central station with the Massoth Navigator).

Im afraid you have......
To use that remote you will need a lgb mts central station 2 or 3.....
And if you intend using a massoth navi you'll need a mts 3 central station
You will need to keep your 51070 controller as a power source for either lgb central stations

I think ive got that right and hope it helps ;)

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
When it says running an analogue loco ,it refers to MTS digital where by you can indeed run analogue wirelessly.
In the case of MTS 2 you have to press the 0-22 button along with reset and then punch 0o into the handset
MTS 3 is 0 0 0 and it switches automatically BUT this is not a true analogue

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The 55016 can operate with the 51070 analogue throttle but wireless only using the 55050 & 55055....

[size=12pt][size=12pt]
Operation with 51070 Analog Throttle​
[/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=12pt]
To use the Loco Remote in this application, you must​
obtain the LGB radio control 55050/55055 (see​
previous chapter).​
If after connecting the Loco Remote to the Analog​
Throttle, no display is visible, you must switch on the​
remote using button ?F.?​
Because you can control several 51070 Analog​
Throttles, you have to select your track block after​
the power is turned on. If you have only one throttle,​
and you have not changed the settings of your​
55055/55056 Wireless Receiver, select track block​
No. 1. The last track block you selected is displayed​
as L xx (xx is the number of the track block).​
To change the track block, please press button ?O,?​
then the display shows L - - . Input the new two-digit​
number (01 through 08). Then the newly selected​
track block is displayed.
[/size][/size]

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mark, that's what instructions said, but I think the description in the catalogue is a little more vague. Never mind, I guess I'll just have ante-up for a central station in the near future.

LittleRedTrain

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ash Vale, UK
Best answers
I hit just the same issue a while back. It does seem rather counter-intuitive that you can't plug the 55016 remote straight into the 51070 controller.

Fortunately, it is worth my while having wireless and I managed to pick up a transmitter/receiver pretty cheaply, so it wasn't all lost!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
This may help explain.

http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...85256B12006B772F/$FILE/55055_55056_072004.pdf

This is the data sheet for the 55055 receiver unit.

For use with the 51070 unit, you need to connect the cable with the wider (8/8) connectors from the appropriate socket of the 55055, which I guess uses analogue signals.

For MTS (as I use), you connect the other cable with the narrow connectors (6/4) which I reckon used serial/digital protocol.

(In fact, with my 2nd hand 55055 unit, I only received the required (6/4) cable.)

Thus I suspect that the 55055 device is converting the R/C signal to either digital or analogue as required. Your 55016 Lok Handy (Loco Remote) is a digital device, and this can be plugged into a MTS box as it is also digital.

However, your 51070 is analogue and it therefore must be using the 55055 as a digital to analogue convertor.

It's worth keeping your 55016 Lok Handy should you go down the MTS III route. You can then sell it on once you've purchased the Massoth Navigator....

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Gizzy, that makes it all much clearer.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I use a wireless remote with an analogue controller with a reciever module that plugs in the back. I can't quote the lgb code numbers. But it works - or did till I left it out for days in the rain doh.