Using R/C to switch on lights

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Thanks to all those who replied to my previous thread on the Mtroniks speed contoller. It works well in combination with Hobbyking's 2.4Ghz Tx/Rx. However I'm trying to figure out a way to use a a spare channel to operate the loco lights. What I want to do is use one channel to turn the directional lights on ie push the lever one way to switch on the lights at the front and push the opposite way to switch the lights on at the rear. I can think of a mechanical way of doing this using a servo and a double throw switch but its a bit cumbersum. Is there an electronic way of doing it? I'm aware there are receiver operated on/off switches availabe to turn on landing lights and so on on model aircraft, but I need a double throw latching solution on one channel. Any ideas gratefully received.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Mike at 'Chuffed2Bits' was showing me some tiny r/c controlled switches the other day which are american. Not sure if they would operate how you want it to? maybe worth an email/phone call?

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Dieseldonkey said:
I can think of a mechanical way of doing this using a servo and a double throw switch but its a bit cumbersum.

That's my method. No more 'cumbersome' than anything else and about one quarter the price of the electronic methods. No voltage drop in the electronics and a larger current handling capacity also.

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a new little board similar to Tony's that will be released any day now (as soon as I can complete the manual). It is a fun board for the creative individuals ... It will drive sound triggers, LEDs, Lamps, and relays, with many user programable options for momentary, latching, toggle, crossing lights, and ditch lights. Selling price will be $29US.