Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LGB Mallet which came with an XL decoder already fitted when I bought it. The Massoth Service Tool identifies the XL as an older type with firmware version 1.90.

The XL decoder works fine and I want to connect an eMotion S decoder to it to give the Mallet sound. The S is one of the later models so I've been trying to update the XL firmware to the latest version as this would appear to help ensure the 2 decoders work seamlessly together. Unfortunately, the XL steadfastly refuses to take the firmware update.

The Massoth Service Tool actually warns you that firmware update is not possible in every case for XL decoders, so I'm assuming the version jump from 1.xx to the latest firmware (2.90) is not a viable option. (I've recently successfully done a firmware update of an XLS decoder and used the same hook-up when trying to do the XL update, so I'm pretty confident the problem is within the decoder and/or firmware, not the physical hook-up I'm using.)

The XL decoder looks like the later ones in that it has what appears to be a SUSI connector on the top surface. However, I'm not sure whether the old XL firmware will support data transfer via the SUSI connection which means I'd need to link the 2 decoders in a different manner.

I appreciate I could "suck it and see" but I don't want to inadvertently damage anything or render one or other decoder unusable. So I wondered if anyone has had expereince of adding an eMotion S to an older XL and whether there are any pitfalls to avoid, handy hints that could be shared.

Thanks in advance.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You could always connect the S to track power rather than SUSI if there is some doubt. There are pros and cons of doing it this way but it is an option.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Check the Massoth site for intermediate software revisions.. It may just be the 'jump' that will not work.

If you do go the track-power route.. Put a means of switching off either decoder independently. - That way you will be able to make changes in the future without pulling the loco apart.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I'd really like to avoid the track power route if I can but it may be the only option as I can't find anywhere on the Massoth site older firmware versions. Could be my naff German but I think they've changed the service tool as in earlier versions I seem to recall there was an "Older Firmware" folder.

I'll try calling them tomorrow.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil.

On the older models the "susi" bus was actually an "lgb" bus until f/w v2.1 when it became the "massoth" bus and from v2.2 It could handle the susi protocol.

I do not believe that versions before 2 had the ability to perform a firmware update and if they could it would be using the slower (via the track) method rather than the "fast update" option.

FYI the massoth hotline is not available (due to staff holidays) until after the 26th.

Last edited:

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mark. Helpful info as always.
Cheers.