using Bachmann Percy with LGB10340 shuttle

edsmitge

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Help

I have a shuttle unit LGB 10340 which works perfectly with my lgb & aristocraft loco's . I bought the Bachmann Percy loco and it won't stop after the diodes and will only travel one way . I have tried changing the direction of the diodes and it apears to work one way and then travels in the opposite direction but stops approx 4ft after it passes over the diode and before the diode that should have stopped it . Has anyone had bachmann loco's wirking with this shuttle. if so can you advise hoe to connect it up .

Regards

George

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I think that Percy may be travelling in the opposite direction to the LGB locos.
If you put Percy on the track with an LGB loco do they run in opposite directions?
To sort this out you need to reverse the direction of Percys travel, ie reverse the motor connections.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't one on my shuttle but it will be because Thomas and Percy effectively run in the opposite direction to G scale standards. All Bachmann locos come set to NMRA standards which are opposite to the G Scale norm. I think there are only two solutions.
1. Swap the wiring round on Percy. This means you have to take the collector wires from the wheels and connect them them the oppposite way around. Never having had one apart I can't say how easy or difficult this will be. I'm pretty sure they don't fit a switch to Percy. The advantage to doing this is that Percy will then run in the same direction as everyting else.
2. Have switchable diodes. At each end you need two diodes, one set each way and a switch to select which one you want connected. Sounds complicated but could be done. If the diodes are placed in the shed this will be easier.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure with Percy but most Bachmann locos have a switch in the smoke box to change from NMRA to 'normal' large scale running. This will cure your problem......unless it is the diode that is failing :(

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember someone wrote that Percy and Thomas don't have the usual NMRA / Large Scale direction switch that we expect in other Bachmann locos (economy and simplicity for models aimed at kids I guess?)

So you'll probably have to rewire Percy's guts so he goes the same way as everyone else! Should be a simple enough job.

edsmitge

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
thanks for the info. There isnt any change over switch fitted to this loco