USATrains Motor Brick Differences

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I am trying to figure out the differences between the different motor bricks in USA Trains locos and a good source for parts for each, as needed. The GP7, GP38, and F units, have the same brick and I have ordered them from Only Trains. R22-115 for those. Now that Greg pointed out that the Alco S4 uses a different motor brick, I see that Only Trains also has those and now I have a reference number and a visual there. R22-12 for the S4. So the question I have is what motor brick goes in the 44 ton switcher? I don't see those on Only Trains or anywhere else so far. They have tabs on the end of the motor brick for couplers. So can they also be found for sale as a whole unit? Or, is this a case where you get wheels, axles, gears and motors (as needed) and rebuild the ones you have?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
what motor brick goes in the 44 ton switcher?

The G-bits website (mentioned above) includes dimensioned drawing of all three USA Trains 4-wheel motor blocks, but says (of the motor block for the 44 tonner) " Unfortunately we have had to de-list the smallest 160-0010 71.7mm short wheelbase power truck (datasheet) - these have not been available from the manufacturers for nearly five years" (and I think I may have first read that two years ago!).

The parts list for the 44-Tonner is at USA Trains but the only currently available item is listed at 44 Tonner Diesel Locomotive Parts .

I've been researching this lately and have managed to buy three of these motor blocks second hand (to add to the one I already had) but all three have been "messed about with", with axles cut flush with the wheels, and track and motor pins bent and soldered together (and one without a motor).

I think you'll struggle to find an as-built one if you need to replace one in a 44-tonner.

Best wishes

David

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the sundry parts, varying 4 wheel chassis should be available by modifying the 6 wheeler chassis, as this has a movable wheel set one end I can see no reason why this could not be removed to make a shorter chassis, unless of course you are a tight wad!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if this is why evilBay offerings of the 44 Tonner, are either very cheap, or very expensive? :wondering:

Wonder whether axles / wheels are common to another model? - Then perhaps an enterprising person could print a 'block' to take a different motor? :think:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Why not get it from the source ?
USA Trains - G Scale

Because they have not made the 44-tonner for several years..

The only repair part listed, is the toolbox!

Though it would not surprise me if other parts were available? - Always worth sorting out the part-numbers from the listings, and either emailling them, or giving them a call..
I have always found them to be very helpful.

PhilP.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Sometimes a phone call to Mike in parts can be very helpful I found.

Phone : 781-321-0090 (Customer Service)
Toll-free :1-800-225-4424 and 1-800-225-4425 (For Order Only)
Toll-free Fax:1-800-287-0090
E-mail : customerservice@charlesro.com

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
All change!

The 44t truck having been unavailable for several years, USA Trains have actually just had a new batch made. I'm importing a bunch into Europe, so I'll be updating my website first to 'expected', and then with a price etc. once customs have done their thing and I actually have possession of them.
Not that I want to loose any sales, but clearly anyone who's in the US already will find going to USAt themselves much faster/cheaper than double shipping them across the Atlantic.

I believe current availability is blocks, motors and both kinds of spare axle. The coupler mount is a separate part, and not currently available, though there are rumours for later this year/next.

In terms of which block fits what :

44t - has its own unique block and coupler mounting system.
NW2/S4/mightymoe - share the same type of block, but with different cosmetic sideframes to represent various 8ft wheelbase switcher trucks.
Everything Else (that's on four wheel trucks) - all use the same 94.5mm wheelbase unit with cosmetic bits representing EMD Blomberg trucks.

Given that the 44t version is available again, it's probably a moot point, but internally, while they obviously share a design heritage, there are precious few major parts in common - there are five axle types across the three sizes, three different motors (I believe the 44t and NW2/S4 share the same 'core' actual motor, but they use different versions, the NW2 has longer shafts and different worm placement to suit its longer wheelbase), etc. Some screws, pickup sliders/springs and traction tyres are about the only common spares.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The wheel diameters vary a bit, reference chart here:

about mid page, also lots of other info.

RR Dave:

Are you trying to buy a loco, or establish good parts availability for scratch building?

By the way I have a burlington 44 tonner that needs 4 new axles that needs a home.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
By the way I have a burlington 44 tonner that needs 4 new axles that needs a home.

A bit too far.. And the parts are closer to you, if available.. Oh, don't mention the tax! :(:eek::cry::cry:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The gears a unique on the 44 tonner so no other wheelsets will fit. I got some parts for a 44 tonner last year. Although not listed on the site when I emailed USA Trains they had the parts I was after. I then popped over to Boston to pick them up. Yes really although SWMBO still thinks we went there for a nice holiday.

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all, great list Greg. I swear I saw that before I even started this thread. What was my name again? ha ha. But good links and info have been obtained here as results from my question so, thanks again to all. I will email you, Greg about the 44 tonner you have. A good price is what you can get someone to pay for what you have, right? Ebay is all over the board on price when you try to buy something and so hard to see what the innards look like most of the time. I usually expect the worst and don't get disappointed. I saw a Milwaukee 44 tonner for 250 (plus all the shipping and fees) and then you'd need another 50-100 bucks worth of parts to get it to run well if it's a mess. Is that a "good deal"? Guess it depends on how bad you want one, huh? If I want one bad enough, there's a GN 44 tonner in the UK for 388 plus 135 shipping. So, do I want one bad enough to pay 520 dollars?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I need to look it over, and see if it has the handrails, since those are not cheap, if available.

So I sort of work backwards, one in perfect shape would probably be worth $300 tops right now (although if new ones are coming that might be a re-think, but I don't think they are coming in the near future).

Then subtract the $$ for all 4 wheels and then subtract for any missing detail items. For this loco, I was figuring $100 roughly plus shipping, it's not a money making operation, but a club member that needed to sell some of his locos. He had no idea the axles were cracked/stripped, he bought it used and did not run it... the seller told him it was virtually new.... argh...

Greg

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, I sent you an email a couple of days ago. Just a heads up for whenever you get back to this or that.