Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0

Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
20
2
50
Sweden
I just received the new subframe for my old 4-6-0.
FB_IMG_1600464875860.jpg

As I'm going to install RC and batteries in it, i.e. a brand new logo, I decided to repaint it as well.
I really didn't like the maroon/silver and gold paint job though...
FB_IMG_1600464879601.jpg

The maroon fields on the cab and tender were masked.
The tank bands were also masked.
FB_IMG_1600464855155.jpg

FB_IMG_1600464858582.jpg

I washed all the parts thoroughly with dish washing detergent and then primed with red etch primer.
FB_IMG_1600464861742.jpg

Then a coat of Stynylrez black primer.
IMG_20200918_225709-01.jpeg

IMG_20200918_225817-01.jpeg

I went for a black, gold and maroon finish.
IMG_20200918_230122-01.jpeg

IMG_20200918_225739-01.jpeg

I have the smokebox left to paint in graphite and then the interior walls green.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200918_225739-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200918_225739-01.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
M

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
951
91
South Australia
To my eyes, that's a big improvement. While you have it in bits, I suggest that you add some lead to improve pulling power and reduce wheel slip.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
20
2
50
Sweden
To my eyes, that's a big improvement. While you have it in bits, I suggest that you add some lead to improve pulling power and reduce wheel slip.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Thanks!
I will add some lead in it.
I will install a MyLocoSound chip in it also.
 
JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
This exactly what I am planning with my 10-wheeler after obtaining a new chassis, though the weather has been to nice to be inside painting :)
 
Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
20
2
50
Sweden
The repaint and conversion to the new chassis is almost complete.
There was a bit of a problem with fitting the air tanks though...
I had to move the tanks 1/8" to the rear to make them clear the cylinders.


The tender will get some weathering as well.


I cut the power pickups in the loco to prepare it for the RC conversion.
The tender will get the batteries, rx, esc and connections later.
 
JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
There was a bit of a problem with fitting the air tanks though...
I had to move the tanks 1/8" to the rear to make them clear the cylinders.
I have not painted mine yet, but on the trial assembly I did notice some discrepancy with the fitment of the air tanks, in the correct position the front of the tanks are over the cylinders, however the new chassis cylinders are higher than the original, and therefore interfere with the air tanks.
 
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
28,454
3,435
North West Norfolk
The origins of this loco is the Tweetsie - the East Tennessee and West North Carolina (ET&WNC) #12 and Bachmann have used multiple liveries following that.

Images of the loco in its green livery show the air tanks as being behind the cylinders. Strictly speaking the running board should also move back, but only superdetailers are going to worry about that, and there is a step at the front between the top of the cylinder casing and the running board.

It also accounts for the unusually long wheel centres on the front bogie, being designed such that the wheels clear the cylinders on the 3ft gauge :nerd::nerd:
 
Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
20
2
50
Sweden
Thanks!
Another photo:
 
Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
20
2
50
Sweden
I designed a kerosene headlight for it:


It's printed and is currently being painted.
 
Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
20
2
50
Sweden
Now it's pretty much done.
Ive only have to insert the new battery when it arrives.






Tested it without major problems (except for the too weak battery I had).
 
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
28,454
3,435
North West Norfolk
That's a nice looking loco :clap::clap::clap: