UP Caboose Scratch Build

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I wanted a caboose to replace the USA caboose I had picked up a few years ago. I mostly use MDC cars and the caboose looked to large, plus it was the wrong era. I found some simple plans in a old decal book I got off ebay and altered them some to match the MDC cars better. I used 1/8" plastic for the basic structure. The frame/roof are from a buy of Delton parts last year on ebay. As on my snowplow build I am using metal duct tape that I use a pounce wheel to emboss with rivet patterns and draw the lines in with a ball point pen. I took some pictures of a UP caboose that is displayed near here that I am using for details. I still need to finish the 'metal' on the sides, this is a work in progress right now. Holing up inside with A/C while it is so hot outside.

a3ca75dd5ab54ecbbbeb3d0bcf53676b.jpg

07d15d73b4be441396cf2dccbc39a1c7.jpg

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of modeling Jerry. :clap: Alyn

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got all the foil on the caboose, surprised it came out even. I had planned to use roof pieces from some Delton roofs I had gotten last year from that guy on ebay. Then I noticed the body from an Aristo stock car that I had removed from the base to make into a flat car. The roof looked like it would fit and had the standing seams I needed, so I cut it off and you see the trial fits here, should work out fine. I will use the roofwalks/ladders/brake wheels also. I'm a recycler!

2c05fda2749d4a12b2094769eaa30d9c.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Looking very nice Jerry , will look good with your Rotary sow plow.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
There's no stopping that man! Nice work, Jerry - will look really good when it's done,

John

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got the steps worked up and glued in place. THen I discovered the bolsters on the Delton frame were going to have to be moved 3/4" of an inch so the trucks would clear the steps. So I cut them out and moved them. Since I took this pix I did get the porch floor glued on. I will glue some diamond plate etched plate over them, happened to have a piece I'd picked up at the hobby shop when I was in Chicago. Not much in the few shops we have left in Nebraska.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
A rare piece of modelling there Jerry, does the tape take paint ok?

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pete, it's just metal duct tape I got at the hardware store. Has a backing you peel off, but put in your lines/rivet patterns/whatever before peeling it off the back. On my web site(Rolling Stock page) you can see how I did the McKeen car trailer with some copper foil, duct tape is cheaper! You can use a pounce wheel from an art store to make the rivet patterns, or sewing stores have tools with round wheels that have points of different spacings.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
clever guy!

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got a bit more done on the caboose. I've been working from some pictures of one I in the next town.
I found some plans online, and it seems to have been high speed trucks for a caboose on a fast freight.
I made the back piece out of 1/8" plastic, the front piece out of 1/16". I'm using some plastic and brass pieces to sorta look like the original. Having fun! Still a ways to go yet.

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Great looking Caboose Jerry. I look forwards to seeing the completed model.
I use almost the same method as Jerry, only I use the foil from large meat trays. Emboss it with a pounce wheel or overlay and rub it in. Then affix with Evostick.
This method was first touted by Yogi Wallace, he has many great tips using Foils. Here is his URL. Well worth a look.
http://users.stratuswave.net/~wd8jik/index.html Rod

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got back to this after getting the radiator back in the Buick, it runs cool now!

I made the 'springs' by wrapping brass wire around my awl. Glued them in with super glue and shot them with a 'kicker'
A few details are left to do, the plastic wheels are just for figuring things out. The connector is loosely based on the one
I made for my live steam shay years ago, gee I'm getting old!

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I made the handles for the caboose from 1/16" brass wire bent to shape and inserted in drilled holes. I made the box for the bottom and an air tank for the other side. I had gotten my wife some roses for our anniversary and each stem had these little plastic tubes with a round bottom. Cut off two of them and joined them together to make a nice air tank.

I still need to paint the box black and some of the frame that got sprayed. Will put in a blinking red LED in the rear roof and use black vinyl to simulate the windows. I have designed the decals but can't seem to get ahold of the person that prints them for me on her color laser printer, may be on vacation.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
NICE one mate..keep up the good work mate.....hope u will get decals soon....good luck..............so if i cant get hold with peoples who make decals for me mean i have to oo on the net,copy it print out,cut out,put in on and then weathering it and bit of matt satin varish just little bit around the edges as same as my tweetie pet product boxcar!!!

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
there u go for u jerry....tht why i cudnt get u.p.decals..hope u like it...save me monies and times..

p.s.i loves yr idea on scatchbuilt caboose....nice!!!!....what is normal colour on the roof of the u.p caboose?..red?dark red browish?..wood on top?....in real life?...any pictures from the net?...

i have scatchbuilting u,p.bobber caboose but need to make sure if they did make a roof with wood plank??...or

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff as always Jerry. Your ability to create a superb model from practically nothing is inspiring :D

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I finished up the UP caboose. The trucks have brass sleeve bearings in them. I made the axle 'ends' from embossed metal foil that I tapped with a brass tube for the round area and pressed the end of a file in it 3 times to get the bumps. I made the decals from clear laser decal paper. THere is a blinking red LED up on the cupola, you can barely see the light behind the smoke stack, it is a piece of brass tubing.