Understanding 3D printing

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are heaps of YouTube how to videos for the Ende3V2 from assembly,bed levelling all the way through to fitting a BL Touch sensor.
The best ones I have found are BV3D (Brian Vines) and Filament Friday (CHEP).

The Creality slicer is based on Cura a popular slicer and is free to download if you wanted to have a play (evaluate).

For a CAD I use TinkerCad which is educational software for teaching kids (I fitted into the category quite well) it is cloud based also free to download for playing (evaluation) purposes.

A member of this forum ge_rik has put together excellent tutorials on how to use Tinkercad plus his experiences of starting out in 3D printing.

I use PLA+ filament which is supposedly better than plain PLA
Some great replies in this thread, thanks to all…
Cheers
Martin

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are heaps of YouTube how to videos for the Ende3V2 from assembly,bed levelling all the way through to fitting a BL Touch sensor.
The best ones I have found are BV3D (Brian Vines) and Filament Friday (CHEP).

The Creality slicer is based on Cura a popular slicer and is free to download if you wanted to have a play (evaluate).

For a CAD I use TinkerCad which is educational software for teaching kids (I fitted into the category quite well) it is cloud based also free to download for playing (evaluation) purposes.

A member of this forum ge_rik has put together excellent tutorials on how to use Tinkercad plus his experiences of starting out in 3D printing.

I use PLA+ filament which is supposedly better than plain PLA
Great info here, thanks GAP.
Well, after weighing up all the pros and cons, having several board meetings with myself and arguing with myself on what do I really need one for, I’m almost at the point of buying a Creality Ende3 v3 SE, which is at the moment at a very affordable price. Ok, I might never get to make a complete tram, but there are loads of things that I could make and at the moment would cost a small fortune in comparison with printing my own. I’m taking here about simple things like railings, proper American buffers, chain link fences, oil drums, general depot rubbish etc etc…the list is endless, and the more I think about it, the more uses I can think of for using one…so steep learning curve here I come!
I might even get to make some inlaid track sections to fit R1 curves.

Cheers
Martin

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, after weighing up all the pros and cons, having several board meetings with myself and arguing with myself on what do I really need one for, I’m almost at the point of buying a Creality Ende3 v3 SE, which is at the moment at a very affordable price. Ok, I might never get to make a complete tram, but there are loads of things that I could make and at the moment would cost a small fortune in comparison with printing my own. I’m taking here about simple things like railings, proper American buffers, chain link fences, oil drums, general depot rubbish etc etc…the list is endless, and the more I think about it, the more uses I can think of for using one…so steep learning curve here I come!

Cheers
Martin
Welcome to the dark side..

If you need any assistance, please always feel free to ask. Everyday's a school day!!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Cheers
Martin
This is a 1:38 scale tram (lego scale) which could possibly be re-scaled using tinkercad.
As for oil drums fill yer boots
and wooden barrels

Last edited:

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is a 1:38 scale tram (lego scale) which could possibly be re-scaled using tinkercad.
As for oil drums fill yer boots
and wooden barrels
Can you please repost the link for the tram, I can’t find it.

Cheers
Martin

Polarblair

Registered
25 Aug 2023
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A new contender has arrived for king of the hill in user friendliness. Bambu lab just released a new machine ( I'm aware it's starting to sound like I'm on payroll)

But their A1 mini looks like darn good value for money when you consider it's multi material printer straight out of the box. Apparently it's faster than my X1 too.

Only downside is the build volume at 180x180x180mm.
That could mean a fair bit of work in terms of modelling to split larger models into smaller parts which definitely counts against it for user friendliness for our use case.
For smaller multi colour models though it looks quite compelling.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A new contender has arrived for king of the hill in user friendliness. Bambu lab just released a new machine ( I'm aware it's starting to sound like I'm on payroll)

But their A1 mini looks like darn good value for money when you consider it's multi material printer straight out of the box. Apparently it's faster than my X1 too.

Only downside is the build volume at 180x180x180mm.
That could mean a fair bit of work in terms of modelling to split larger models into smaller parts which definitely counts against it for user friendliness for our use case.
For smaller multi colour models though it looks quite compelling.
Hm interesting, the small size looks like a possible winner and possibility for me. Most of what I need tends to be smallish parts so the 150mm may work for me at the moment.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare