korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
talking about playmobil...
be carefull if/when buying playmobil locos. the new ones are all RC and batterie powered. but there are still second-hand older trackpower locos around. (to be recognized easy by the contact-sliders between front- and backwheel.)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
talking about playmobil...
be carefull if/when buying playmobil locos. the new ones are all RC and batterie powered. but there are still second-hand older trackpower locos around. (to be recognized easy by the contact-sliders between front- and backwheel.)

Or easier still in a photo on eBay by the steps down from the cab.

EDIT: I need to clarify this - steps down from BOTH sides of the cab; the RC only has them on one side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Radio control works well with kids, and it’s worth limiting the voltage with kids, I run on my Lgb trains on 12v and it bring some the top speed down, to prevent derailments.

And for cheaper things you can get train 757 brand or search for east coast rotor on eBay, there good for play value and modifying.

The loco has mixed reviews but the restaurant is good

Dan

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Radio control works well with kids, and it’s worth limiting the voltage with kids, I run on my Lgb trains on 12v and it bring some the top speed down, to prevent derailments.

And for cheaper things you can get train 757 brand or search for east coast rotor on eBay, there good for play value and modifying.

The loco has mixed reviews but the restaurant is good

Dan

Thanks for the suggestions Dan, I can't find the 757 brand.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions Dan, I can't find the 757 brand.
Hullo and welcome to the forum. The 757 brand is a Chinese make also known as Newquida or Train.

Try East Coast Railways, who also stock Piko....

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Hello everyone,

An update from today and yesterday's work, so the wall has been broken through, despite hiding a nice 2 inch wide steel plate, viaduct built, although it will need to be rebuilt as and when the lockdown ends as I'm out of sand and cement.

Tomorrow I'll have the surveyor back, and hopefully have enough levels in place to complete all remaining track I have on site.

Then it's a case of waiting for pay day!

The 153 has been mocked up, although clearly quite a few improvements needed. The plan is to make it modular so that while I would prefer a full length version, shorter versions could be made for tighter radii and shorter lines.

I'll post a topic elsewhere for this for more comments etc.

P1030854.JPGP1030848.JPG

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Hullo and welcome to the forum. The 757 brand is a Chinese make also known as Newquida or Train.

Try East Coast Railways, who also stock Piko....

Hi, and Thanks for the info.

I've seen the Newquida models, they're good as far as they go, but not ideal for the types of trains I would like to have, plus I would prefer to have track powered as I don't want to spend time charging batteries etc.

I'm aware that there were issues with the previous version of the forum regarding Newquida, so perhaps the less said the better! :)

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, and Thanks for the info.

I've seen the Newquida models, they're good as far as they go, but not ideal for the types of trains I would like to have, plus I would prefer to have track powered as I don't want to spend time charging batteries etc.

I'm aware that there were issues with the previous version of the forum regarding Newquida, so perhaps the less said the better! :)
Good for bashing as they are so cheap. I turned a coach into a Driving Trailer, but it has now donated its chassis and roof to a dining car....

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Good for bashing as they are so cheap. I turned a coach into a Driving Trailer, but it has now donated its chassis and roof to a dining car....

Pictures? I'm intrigued!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Pictures? I'm intrigued!
You might have to search on the forum, as I only have my smart phone for viewing GSC at the moment?

Have a look at my thread at my old home as in my signature....

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
You might have to search on the forum, as I only have my smart phone for viewing GSC at the moment?

Have a look at my thread at my old home as in my signature....

Thanks Gizzy, found your old thread, but sadly the pictures did not make the transfer from Gscalemade...

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings! I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old. The older one loves Thomas, so I have the Thomas locos. They are great bang for buck, but the plastic is very brittle and the glued detail bits are easy to break off. LGB tends to have more pliable plastic and pop out detail parts that can be put back.

The younger one loves a new old stock German-made Stainz I picked up at a nice value. With the Stainz, you can actually push the loco (as the little one is wont to do) and the wheels turn and pistons rods move. Most other things just slide uncomfortably!

I’m still working on the multi year outdoor project, so we run a different interior layout each week.

I look forward to updates and welcome to the forum!

- Dennis

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings! I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old. The older one loves Thomas, so I have the Thomas locos. They are great bang for buck, but the plastic is very brittle and the glued detail bits are easy to break off. LGB tends to have more pliable plastic and pop out detail parts that can be put back.

The younger one loves a new old stock German-made Stainz I picked up at a nice value. With the Stainz, you can actually push the loco (as the little one is wont to do) and the wheels turn and pistons rods move. Most other things just slide uncomfortably!

I’m still working on the multi year outdoor project, so we run a different interior layout each week.

- Dennis
Pity that the German Dicke Trains are not easily available in UK. They run on 45 Track and are a sensible price. Not the most robust of things and running a bit lumpy but perfectly adequate for the younger ones.

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers

- Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the heads up on the Thomas models, I have considered getting them, although given they're a bit brittle maybe I'll avoid for now.

Pushing along stock is really important for this age range, they also push along my OO stock, including a short 3 coach and two power unit HST, somehow without derailing it!

The PIKO diesel we have refuses to be pushed along sadly, and also has a rather worrying tendency to almost roll over (front to back) if you stop it too fast without any trucks on. All very concerning when it's on a 80cm stone viaduct! But apart from that it's the ideal engineering train, robust, chunky and comparatively low cost.

We originally started indoors, but let's just say running this scale in your living room isn't the most conducive to family relations! In any case outdoors was always the main aim, but as I'm sure with everyone this is a multiyear project, but the sooner you start the sooner you'll finish! :)

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Pity that the German Dicke Trains are not easily available in UK. They run on 45 Track and are a sensible price. Not the most robust of things and running a bit lumpy but perfectly adequate for the younger ones.

Do they run on 45mm? I saw a very nice tram on amazon yesterday but was sure the scale was off see below:

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Ouch! :D yes you're right, in my case there's unlikel to be an extension, but certainly single track line will get doubled, sidings will be added and other bits and bobs. But sadly all these require points, and points mean prizes, well maybe not prizes, but certainly money...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Do they run on 45mm? I saw a very nice tram on amazon yesterday but was sure the scale was off see below:
That is not one of their Trains that run on 45mm. It is a push and go floor jobby. This is certainly the real deal, though it will be gone very soon. Key to looking for these on EBay is to search with G or Gauge 1.
The Tram that you show is 1:43 scale I think.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Back in the late 90s there was a cheap 45mm gauge battery set by Scientific Toys that was sold for £25 in our local Lidl. I took the motor and gearing out of the loco as we had a young lad who also preferred to push stuff along :) It lasted pretty well. I think we still have the wagons, and I still see bits of these sets turn up on ebay occasionally. I expect there is a similar set in current production out there somewhere.
P7070004.JPG

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Back in the late 90s there was a cheap 45mm gauge battery set by Scientific Toys that was sold for £25 in our local Lidl. I took the motor and gearing out of the loco as we had a young lad who also preferred to push stuff along :) It lasted pretty well. I think we still have the wagons, and I still see bits of these sets turn up on ebay occasionally. I expect there is a similar set in current production out there somewhere.
View attachment 266147
Obviously bearing up well