Un-panelling a panel truck.

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Since my shop is half here, half there, and all apart, I'm going through building withdrawal... so I thought I'd share pix of a few diecast panel truck bashes I've done over the last few months. Diecast panel trucks are plentiful, cheap, and, once you have half a dozen,... rather boring.

Some of these I shared briefly before, some you haven't seen.

These first ones were based on the Gearbox 1913 Model T, usually purchased for less than $10
PB140001.jpg

They are rather easy to work with, just 5 screws hold them together
PB140002.jpg

My first 'bash' was just a simple repaint to represent a 1920's mail truck
PB130001.jpg

It quickly went downhill from there. Cutting zamac isn't much fun. It takes forever with a dremel and makes a big mess. Judge for yourself if the results were worth it.

Bash #2; farm truck, the bed is basswood and styrene
PB140008.jpg

Bash #3; Model TT 1-1/2 ton box truck. I had to stretch things a bit, the box is a 1/43 diecast with a basswood base
PB260038.jpg

The Liberty Classics 1916 Studebaker also lends itself pretty well to kitbashing. 6 screws hold it together. They run about $15 each.
1102-05.jpg

Bash #4-6 I made the first one into a sedan. I liked it so well I made the other three similar. One tan, one black, one green and white (not pictured).
PC040001.jpg

The Ertl 1923 Chevy is not near as much fun to work with. It's riveted together and the sides are quite thick at the top.
23chevy.jpg

Bash #7 Gasoline tanker I shortened the tank from the 1910 Mack and added basswood carryall boxes for this one.
PB210001.jpg

Next under the dremel was a 1905 Ford Delivery Car. Easier than their '23 Chevy, but then I didn't cut on the body much.
BedkGGQBWkKGrHqMH-CUErgKLYMVTBK9ZnL.jpg

Bash #8 1911 Buick A-2 Express. The body is an Ertl horsedrawn wagon bed and basswood.
PB280037.jpg

I've got another un-panelling job half finished. Ertl 1920 International to semi (articulated lorry) tractor. (pix someday)

At least they're something different.....