Ultra-sonic cleaning?

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I continue with my track cleaning and whilst one of the previously mentioned liquids do change the colour of the rail and therefore presumably cleans it, there is still some work required afterwards. What the soaking in the liquid doesn't achieve is to get rid of the gunge inside the fish-plate nor at the bottom of the rail where the opposite fish-plate was pushed.

I am trying to clean that area with cotton buds but it isn't altogether successful without some significant elbow-grease. I wondered therefore before some investigation whether a member may have tried aforesaid title subject, please?

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I do have an ultrasonic cleaner I use for small scales bits and pieces eg. degreasing chassis etc. I doubt it would have any effect on tarnished rail though.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I continue with my track cleaning and whilst one of the previously mentioned liquids do change the colour of the rail and therefore presumably cleans it, there is still some work required afterwards. What the soaking in the liquid doesn't achieve is to get rid of the gunge inside the fish-plate nor at the bottom of the rail where the opposite fish-plate was pushed.

I am trying to clean that area with cotton buds but it isn't altogether successful without some significant elbow-grease. I wondered therefore before some investigation whether a member may have tried aforesaid title subject, please?

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield
Try a toothbrush for all those little places

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to put your cleaner in danger, have you tried it at all? I expect there are different types depending on the arduous nature of that which requires cleaning.

Having watched a u-tube video they seem to be efficient. I'm just investigating an alternative to the various fluids suggested and to make my life easier.

Sarah Winfield

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I Have one as well, bought to clean motorbike carbs, it did the job in that it removes grease well, but items don't come out looking like I expected there was some brass parts on my carbs and it did clean them but didn't leave them nice and shiny looking. I have never tried putting track in it I doubt it would really clean up the ends of tracks unless you added something to the tank better than the basic cleaning solution and then I have my doubts.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ultra-sonic cleaning...... I don't like the sound of that.

David

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ultra-sonic cleaning...... I don't like the sound of that.

David
One of these days you'll be punished for all those witticisms ;);););)

Reactions: 1 user

Homo Habilis

Registered
16 Apr 2016
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Am I to assume that your track is not installed? If that is the case then some people place their sections in a dishwasher and avoid the heat of the drying cycle.

You might try a search term such as "dishwasher cleaning used track lgb"

A

Alec K

also suggested on the other threads on cleaning track. I think we have 2 maybe 3 concurrent threads now ;)
Agreed - I wonder if some merging of these queries could be achieved?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed - I wonder if some merging of these queries could be achieved?

Possibly depends on the capacity of the dish-washer?? :think::confused:
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I was told that I could strip paint off a Bachmann tram using a dishwasher on a "delicate cycle". It did work but I spent 45mins cleaning the paint which came off in large flakes out of the filter....

Reactions: 1 users
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
another track cleaning thread gone awry... I'm having a hard time Sarah, if you were having trouble springing for the cost of the fluid cleaners, how you would justify a ultrasonic cleaner... I have had several, and can tell you that it would make no difference on the rail ends, it MIGHT clean the joiners a bit, but you would want to still use an acidic solution. The cost of a good ultrasonic cleaner is a bit high, the cheap ones would not clean the joiners. You still need to consider rail clamps.

Greg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
The clamps will have to wait until either I am forced into fitting them or I can obtain some at a good price.

I welcome your comments though. Thanks Greg.

Sarah

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to begin another debate but I hear it isn't good to use an abrasive on the top of the rail.

Is there a majority consensus in favour of a yes or no!

Sarah Winfield

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to begin another debate but I hear it isn't good to use an abrasive on the top of the rail.

Sarah Winfield
LGB Track Block 50040 are a little on the abrasive side but they are the best bet for surface cleaning in my humble view. Plus being an LGB Product should be a recommended good buy and bet. Somewhat like a Peco one but bigger.

Most certainly better than some of the sage advice to use Emery Cloth or even Scotchbright which are even more abrasive or impossible to use (scotchbright) unless mounted on a wagon.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Sarah Winfield

I will let you make up your own mind, but for me, abrasives scratch the rail surface. These scratches accumulate dirt. The train then spreads the dirt, then the trains stop.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Got it, as a matter of fact, just commented on your other track cleaning thread, so price is #1 priority, and ease of implement
I clean both track and overhead mechanically... Abrasive pads with a dremel .... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40-Pcs-...epid=0&hash=item3af1e358dd:g:e9oAAOSw-k1a9RA6

I see the words abrasive, and seems people jumped a bit... if you look at the product, the "abrasive" is really like "ScotchBrite" which is a very mild abrasive open weave material... we use it in the kitchen on dishes, and it comes in various grades.

I use those small wheels myself, and they are great for many jobs where you don't want a wheel that will "dig in" to the surface.

The only downside in my experience with them, is they wear out quickly at Dremel speeds...

Greg

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Got it, as a matter of fact, just commented on your other track cleaning thread, so price is #1 priority, and ease of implement

I see the words abrasive, and seems people jumped a bit... if you look at the product, the "abrasive" is really like "ScotchBrite" which is a very mild abrasive open weave material... we use it in the kitchen on dishes, and it comes in various grades.

I use those small wheels myself, and they are great for many jobs where you don't want a wheel that will "dig in" to the surface.

The only downside in my experience with them, is they wear out quickly at Dremel speeds...

Greg
Yes they don't last long especially if you apply too much pressure, Around 15 - 20000 rpm and very light pressure. Imagine the cost if you used the genuine Dremel ones???????

Reactions: 1 user