U class binding issue

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon all.
I'm having a problem with a 1995 U Class that I'm very fond of. It has started to run very jerkily. I've taken the base off and was running it upside down. The jerking is more pronounced when running forward and there seems to be a lot of slop in the back axle. Your experience would be greatly appreciated.
Secondly, part of the plastic motion rods has fractured and I was wondering whether spares are still available and if so, from where? Those who know me on this forum are aware that my knowledge of dismantling and fabricating is progressing but still limited when it comes to engines.
Trevor

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Wasn't this the 'Achilles heel' of this loco?

One of my foibles was to refer to this problem every time somebody claimed that LGB were perfect / bullet proof ;);)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon all.
I'm having a problem with a 1995 U Class that I'm very fond of. It has started to run very jerkily. I've taken the base off and was running it upside down. The jerking is more pronounced when running forward and there seems to be a lot of slop in the back axle. Your experience would be greatly appreciated.
Secondly, part of the plastic motion rods has fractured and I was wondering whether spares are still available and if so, from where? Those who know me on this forum are aware that my knowledge of dismantling and fabricating is progressing but still limited when it comes to engines.
Trevor
Quite often the gear gets one or two cogs out of synk, this can cause lumpy running. Have a careful look at the front, middle and rear spokes, just one. Are all 3 pointing exactly the same? If not taking off the bottom plate and adjustment should resolve the issue. While you are in there look to see if tye main gear on the axle has split this could also be your problem. As for the motion rods, if you cant get a spare repairing with small BA s rews and a flat piece of fabricated thin brass or nickel silver sheet will do a good job.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Whoops, forgot the pictures.
IMG_20220206_104805.jpgIMG_20220206_155517.jpg

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I know now what to look for.
T

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This may not be for this model, so be prepared to ignore this:

Was it the U-class, that had the dangly/reverser bits, within the motion? These could occasionally 'flip', so would be sticking up (if they should be down), or down (if they should be up)..

They then tended to jam/Bind, and things bent/broke..

PhilP

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
I had a look at both sides. One seemed a little out, so I made an adjustment. It looks correct now and seems to be running more smoothly. I can check this outside tomorrow the right way up. I shall have to fasten down what Phil might describe as, 'a dangly bit', which is attached to the broken part, so it doesn't catch up with the rest of the motion.
Thanks folks.

IMG_20220206_175905.jpgIMG_20220206_175815.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg and all.
Trevor

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another potential slop cause is the u shaped area where the axels sit In the motor block.
With lots of run time, heavy loads, the u slots can become worn and enlarged, eliptical. Only a slight change will cause gear teeth to slip.
If this is the issue, you will need to replace the motor box. Even with new gears, and correct quartering, the gears will continue to slip unless the axels sit in proper slots.

Reactions: 1 user