Two queries in one: - tight radius curves and Relco

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A query in two parts; last year my attempts to run a G scale train around the tree were just but only just acceptable.
To begin with I have limited space available ie a diameter of only 31"(80cm) to the track centreline. I tried bending Accucraft and LGB flexitrack but the joints were decidedly "clunky". I even bought a rail bender s/h (GRS?) but that proved not to be of any use whatsoever, to begin with the profile of the rollers despite being claimed to be "LGB", did not match LGB or Accucraft, or Aristo or even Peco. Even if the profile had been correct I couldn't see how the rail would feed into the bender as the rollers are all smooth and the moment pressure is applied to put in a curve the rail simply slips on the rollers and does not feed.
Consequently this year I have resurrected my OO and N gauge equipment after a long "rest" of well over 20yrs.
Everything seems to run Ok but I don't relish the constant track and wheel cleaning. On digging out my Relco unit I realised that in the absence of the instructions I haven't the faintest recollection of how to connect it other than recalling that it wasn't just a simple "connect the controller leads to one side and the track ones to the other. For reasons which entirely escape me I had left it with one of the Controller Side terminals hard wired to the Track Side one:banghead:
Can anyone assist please in an idiots guide to setting it up? Or even a scan of a set of instructions.
The unit is an early one marked TypeC.

One other solution would be preferred - is there any track out there with a radius of 31"?

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Keith,

Looks like someone else has had the same troubleas you re the Relco- goto the following link,

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9672

You will have to register - which looks to be free (I am not a member) then you can download some instructions that are on the above link

Yours Peter

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
peterbunce said:
Hi Keith,

Looks like someone else has had the same troubleas you re the Relco- goto the following link,

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9672

You will have to register - which looks to be free (I am not a member) then you can download some instructions that are on the above link

Yours Peter
Hi Peter
Would you believe, I went there earlier today. I couldn't get the jpeg to load so I registered and still could not get it to load despite going back several times and so I had given up on it
I have been back there again since reading your post and BINGO! this tme it has loaded.
Thanks for prompting me.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
A query in two parts; last year my attempts to run a G scale train around the tree were just but only just acceptable.
To begin with I have limited space available ie a diameter of only 31"(80cm) to the track centreline. I tried bending Accucraft and LGB flexitrack but the joints were decidedly "clunky". I even bought a rail bender s/h (GRS?) but that proved not to be of any use whatsoever, to begin with the profile of the rollers despite being claimed to be "LGB", did not match LGB or Accucraft, or Aristo or even Peco. Even if the profile had been correct I couldn't see how the rail would feed into the bender as the rollers are all smooth and the moment pressure is applied to put in a curve the rail simply slips on the rollers and does not feed.
Consequently this year I have resurrected my OO and N gauge equipment after a long "rest" of well over 20yrs.
Everything seems to run Ok but I don't relish the constant track and wheel cleaning. On digging out my Relco unit I realised that in the absence of the instructions I haven't the faintest recollection of how to connect it other than recalling that it wasn't just a simple "connect the controller leads to one side and the track ones to the other. For reasons which entirely escape me I had left it with one of the Controller Side terminals hard wired to the Track Side one:banghead:
Can anyone assist please in an idiots guide to setting it up? Or even a scan of a set of instructions.
The unit is an early one marked TypeC.

One other solution would be preferred - is there any track out there with a radius of 31"?

LGB R2 curves are approx 2'6" radius (approx 30")

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Doug 30" diameter that's 60" radius! :-

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
hi Keith,

there is -in first- ONE important question:

you first talk about a 80cm DIAmeter, what is VERY sharp.
At the end u asked for a 80cm RADIUS.
That ist just QUITE sharp.. :D

the radius should be bendable without problems. I have a railbender (single string) with what its possible. Even though i dont use radius less than 1200mm.

But for a 80cm Diameter all would be "on the edge".

Frank

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
Made this a year ago from Tenmile track ( not sure of the spelling of the track name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEeSI5cBDs

Steve I hadn't even contemplated Tenmille.
That looks to be a VERY tight radius, far more than adequate.
Is it flexi or fixed radius track?
EDIT: Having looked at the Tenmille site I see that it is flexible.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
coyote97 said:
hi Keith,

there is -in first- ONE important question:

you first talk about a 80cm DIAmeter, what is VERY sharp.
At the end u asked for a 80cm RADIUS.
That ist just QUITE sharp.. :D

the radius should be bendable without problems. I have a railbender (single string) with what its possible. Even though i dont use radius less than 1200mm.

But for a 80cm Diameter all would be "on the edge".

Frank

Hi Frank
My mistake I mean't 80cm Diameter! Very sharp. :-

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
yes, thats VERY sharp indeed.

but i suggest a single-string bender. i cannot imagine that a doublstring-bender will work on THAT sharp curves.
...puh...ever thought of a switchback instead? :D

Frank

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
coyote97 said:
yes, thats VERY sharp indeed.

but i suggest a single-string bender. i cannot imagine that a doublstring-bender will work on THAT sharp curves.
...puh...ever thought of a switchback instead? :D

Frank
Not sure that I know what a single string bender is. :thinking:
Mine has 3 rollers mounted on a backing plate the middle one of which is adjustable. One of the outer rollers has a handle ostensibly to wind the rail through the bender but as I commented earlier it wont do that because it slips against the rail.
The best it can achieve is to put a kink in the rail!

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
sounds like a single string bender (no clue if thats the right expression...im german and have to deal with my "school-english"...LOL)
if you can´t bend tight enough, it may be possible to take some other ball-gearings with the same inner diameter but a slightly greater outer diameter.
industrial supply could offer it, and chinese ball bearings shouldnt make mor than 2 or 3 Euro one.....

So u reach a "deeper" draw on your bender and the radius should get tighter

Frank

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
coyote97 said:
sounds like a single string bender (no clue if thats the right expression...im german and have to deal with my "school-english"...LOL)
if you can´t bend tight enough, it may be possible to take some other ball-gearings with the same inner diameter but a slightly greater outer diameter.
industrial supply could offer it, and chinese ball bearings shouldnt make mor than 2 or 3 Euro one.....

So u reach a "deeper" draw on your bender and the radius should get tighter

Frank
Hi Frank
I understand, a single rail bender as opposed to one which would bend both rails simultaneously.

I am going to give the Tenmille track a try, failing that it looks as if the track around the tree will be N gauge this year and for next year I may try to get the rollers on the track bender turned on a lathe to the correct profile or even replaced as you suggest. At least then I might stand a chance of getting it to work as it should.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I will try to post a pic of the track bender. I am not using my usual PC or software so it may be that the image is the wrong size but here goes...
My bender is identical to this except that a handle has been brazed to one of the outer rollers.
EDIT: If you left click on the image it will enlarge.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
campain for plan speaking loves keith t

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:

R U mocking my bender? 8|

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
mike said:

R U mocking my bender? 8|

I'll bet you didn't mock those in my email.......:clap:

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
uhhh...should be able to bend very tight.........

a pitty they dont use ball-bearings: its cheaper than simple rolers, because bearings are a many-million-product.

though....THAT bender didnt work?????

Frank

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Relco units might cause problems if you are running didgital, you need to check this out