Two New Vans

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Saw these also on ebay 2 Newquida RHB vans so made a purchase cost me including postage cheaper then one equivilent LGB van well duly arrived very quickly Courier . and so unpacked very impressed just out of the box except to strange things
47f499e350ec41f9910b46a92f8004cd.jpg

Gareth

28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Well there seems to be a spacer on one end of van for coupler that is not needed ! And the other is the wheels have a dished Moulding pip on the wheels so when running sound like flat wheels ( Probably Brakes need adjusting:D) Just joking I think new wheel sets will be aquired I.ve arrowed the wheels on the photos . Otherwise these vans are excellent value for money and you can,t complain !
d67f9c93a6a845239ba07b01d6dc6092.jpg

c746967b1a6443eea39af24001aacc5d.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That's something to look out, but they look good and easily put right - nice to get a bargain

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
More bangs for your bucks :D:D

probably all fairly easily fixable - good way to go :clap:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
This must be your lucky day! I can let you have some lgb plastic wheelsets for a mere £25 per axle.
Or a hell of a lot less if you're prepared to haggle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a bargain, you are the man :clap:

D J Mason

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Essex
Best answers
hi

I purchased one of these last year and solved all the problems by mounting them on redundant Bachman diamond frame bogies so they look better and go round sharp bends

regards dj

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
By the look of the photo of the two coupled together the couplings hold them miles apart, far more so than LGB, how do they look when running? And if they look daft is it possible to shorten the couplings? :thinking:
Just noticed: the coupling at the veranda end doesn't appear to stick out as much, would they look better coupled veranda to veranda? Go on, get yer camera out, we need photographic evidence here :D

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
these vans are not simmetric.
the aixles are (almost) simmetric to the car-box. the veranda sticks out to one end.
the couplers are very long, and at the veranda end is even prolongated with an adapter.

i too plan to put bogeys/trucks under these vans. (after cutting away the verandas)

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
korm kormsen said:
look here
The exploded diagram for the LGB version shows identical axle holders with a coupling adaptor at the veranda end only. The photos appear to show an adapter at each end.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
So in theory one adapter could be removed, or seeing as the couplers are held to the adapters by screws the overly long adaptor could be shortened and the coupling refitted? :nerd:
The reason I ask is because I like the look of the wagons but want to stick to 4-wheelers, but not if they look like they have an aversion to each other.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
So in theory one adapter could be removed, or seeing as the couplers are held to the adapters by screws the overly long adaptor could be shortened and the coupling refitted? :nerd:
The reason I ask is because I like the look of the wagons but want to stick to 4-wheelers, but not if they look like they have an aversion to each other.

For the price of these wagons, there's gotta be a way of doing it :clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
pugwash said:

For the price of these wagons, there's gotta be a way of doing it :clap:
Looking at those pix as posted by Korm, it should be possible to remove the extension piece, so that the coupling is lined up with the buffer, not beyond it.

This is how it is on my NQD coaches....

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Everyone,
I've just bought 2 as well for the same price. My intention is to remove the verandah & roof overhang , then repaint them grey in the hope they they will give the impression of G.W.R. MINKS . Well they might if I stand some distance away & squint. The writing on the trucks doors made me laugh. " Railway express , Royal Giving , Special Tunnel , Train Model of the World " not much research there then!
Cheers Garry.
P.S. it works the other way too , the 70's advertising campaign that ended in the slogan " Come alive with Pepsi " was translated into mandrin & used , It's claim was " Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead ! " bet that went down well in a country where ancestor worship was the main religion !

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
Hi Everyone,
I've just bought 2 as well for the same price. My intention is to remove the verandah & roof overhang , then repaint them grey in the hope they they will give the impression of G.W.R. MINKS . Well they might if I stand some distance away & squint. The writing on the trucks doors made me laugh. " Railway express , Royal Giving , Special Tunnel , Train Model of the World " not much research there then!
Cheers Garry.
P.S. it works the other way too , the 70's advertising campaign that ended in the slogan " Come alive with Pepsi " was translated into mandrin & used , It's claim was " Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead ! " bet that went down well in a country where ancestor worship was the main religion !

In case you didn't see it when it was current, I have already produced a verandah-free version of one of these - See the "Chinese Surgery" thread on the Kit building/bashing & scratchbuilding section. You have to go back to 28th December 2009 for its last update, but it is still on the system!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Seen what it says on the doors of Korm's? Completely quality reliable firm. Well, time will tell :D

Gareth

28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Well problem sorted new wheels fitted and simple matter of removing unecessary spacer block works perfectly well !

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rock on, Tommy !! :clap::clap:

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Miamigo259,
I have seen your article , in fact it was reading it that inspired the purchase .
Cheers! Garry:clap:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i have to apologize.

i took and published the pics qiuck, without looking well.
yes, the van shown has adaptors on both sides.
my text was based on one van, i bought abot a year ago. that one had just one adaptor under the veranda.
the two, my daughters gave me last christmas, have both an adaptor on each side.
everything else (measurements, etc) is the same on all three.