Two loops or one?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
My ten day layout building holiday starts on Thursday...

My plan has been for somewhile now to build a twin track loop- however this means I will get to use none of the exisiting track work- so far more effort- and there is also a large over head in additional track costs.

I know only I can decide... I can afford it but equally it would also be the cost of a nice big beastie to use on my new track...

Anyone have one? Can I practically sit back and watch two trains running unless i have two loops? What's the consensus?

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Two trains on Digital :clap: just dont take your eyes off the ball:rofl:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Two loops or one?

I run two trains on analogue with no worries. They have a 200 foot circuit to go round and when the faster on gets close to the slower one I just drop the slower on into the passing loop, let the fast one overtake it and then let the slower one out. With two locos which run at a similar speed I can go over half an hour before having to pull one over. You could also have one train track powered and one battery powered, this works but is kind of complicated to control.

Ok the above is crude, simple and not proper control but the only head on collision ever on my line was when we plugged in a dcc unit. Three trains were being controlled quite nicely until someone managed to get one train going the opposite direction to the others.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZcqe-S_5M from 4:50 onwards

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

I did what for me was the best of both worlds. I have two single track circuits which allow two trains to run separately but connected so I can have one long continious circuit. which can also allow two trains usung DCC. I have managed atotal of three to date each circuit having a track powered train plus a battery controlled third. Don't think I could manage any more

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Best answers
Country flag

Steve said:
Two trains on Digital :clap: just dont take your eyes off the ball:rofl:

Four trains on two loops :clap:, definately don't take your eye off the ball, but its great fun

7681302ae2bd4bc7bd7958e0405262b3.jpg

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

Your Railway is brilliant Rick :clap:

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers

I'll whisper this post:

Because Caradoc is insulated, I was going to try running both it and my electric loco at the same time but was going to keep quiet about it until I'd cleared up the mess.....

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag

if you like to watch, without working, you might consider an automated analogue system. (LGB-epl style)
one or more loops, as you like.
each loop can have as many trains, as it has sidings. (even numbers only)
(you just have to rewire half of the locos, that the motors run in the other direction)

schaltplan1.JPG

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag

2 trains on one track - no problemo, but as Rick & Steve have said, you've got to pay attention.
In principle, with digi, you can run as many as you want. In practise it depends how fast you can press the buttons to switch trains (and in my case, find my glasses).

As far as double track is concerned, a few pro's & cons:
Pro's
Two trains can run unattended
Trains look good when they pass in opposite directions
You could switch one and leave the other running all the time.
You could have one circuit with no points and mainly use it for live steam, without bothering to clean the tracks.
Con's
It generally doesn't look right for narrow narrow gauge if you get my drift
If you want to connect the circuits, then you need some crossovers and some wiring if you are analog
Watch the curves - you always need more 'way' between the tracks than you think - keep your longest two vehicles handy !

If you really want to screw it up, lay double track & then buy an Aristo RDC - even if I chop a chunk out of the middle, and file off all the corners it'll hit something.:crying:

Given the choice again, I would still opt for double track - one to run and one to play with. Generally, I've avoided trying to connect the tracks & switch between them.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers

Spend the extra cash on a radio controlled loco. They also don't need the track cleaning.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Well this is an interesting query because I am thinking about two trains, unattended, running simultaneously, or even at the same time. But I have problems. First of all I have an existing layout, so I have to add to it, not start from scratch. I have what I feel is a very limited space. At present I have the typical dogsbone which is jammed into a space which is 40 feet in length. The nominal diameter of the single line section, to the right , is 6 feet, the opposite, double section is about 9 feet. So there is no way I can put in a same level double line to the right, I cannot extend it at the top or the bottom due a wall one side and space the other. The only way I can get a complete second loop, I think, is by going up into space. Now, also, if I am going to extend, I have to buy a lot of track etc, and there isn't a lot of cash around. However, I do have the hanging layout inside the house, and that gets very little usage now. I think if I could see my way forward outside I might be tempted to dismantle at least part of the hanging one.
I don't like muscling in on someone else's subject, but as we might be tossing ideas around maybe something will pop up. As they say, if any of you want to run something up a flagpole, let's see who salutes
1ad0c66a24dd481da40b31c8c06787d9.jpg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag

easy.
make a second siding above the one, you have.
then put the trains in lower station, one heading right, one heading left.
let each run half a dogbone.
when both reached upper station, let them run on, back to lower station.

you will need four reed contacts and two turnout or signal switches.
the turnouts dont need switches, just springs.

function:
when both trains are in station one, they aktivate the reeds A1 and A2.
these reeds, activate the two switches.
if the switches are connected in series, both together start both trains in station one.
(and, with the same action they shut down power in station two.)

when the two trains reach station two, the same thing happens, using the reeds B1 and B2.
basicly that is it. two trains - zero operating - trains run in different direction.
(one can add some timers and other gizzmos for more realism, but that is not necessary)

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

thanks as ever for the thoughts- i think on balance I am heading for twin tracks- but what has occured to me during this thread is that I can build a twin track and if time/fund limits stop progress it can have a loop on either end for now and be a dogbone in the interim!?

ps no worries about the thread Glengrant - it's all on topic!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

you know i think a double line-ie 2 independent loops makes more and more sense-not necessarily a double mainline -but for instance a mountain line above-or whatever and another

i had thought that a single long route was preferable -but in light of my total remodel and makeover-im thinking about 2 routes with some sort of junction-

this allows for booby proof operation-2 entire trains of differing character-the grand and the dimunitve-

and considerable visual interest as well as varied speeds, direction and varied routes-

one could be R1 and another R3 or R5

plus when one has issues when guest arrive you can always have the other running successfully