TURNTABLE FOR MODEL T FORD RAILCAR

treetop

Model boats, trains and gliders.
1 Sep 2010
Christchurch New Zealand
Best answers
7ddf218f700a422a8ba849a3ee64727f.jpg

As I have previously described the railcar ran forwards and backwards along the same piece of track with magnets placed on the track to make it stop and then go in the reverse direction at each end. I was aware of the fact that this ?reversing manoeuvre? was very unrealistic, with the prototype being turned at each end via a turntable.
A successful hunt through the garage for appropriate wood scraps and electric motors, etc. prompted me to have a go at upgrading the system. It had to be automatic in operation, and thus based around a delay timer, reed switch and magnets, similar to the railcar. This would also have to be modified slightly to fit in with the turntable cycle.
The actual turntable was roughly cut out by wood saw and then made round and true using a sanding disk with a suitable shaft at the centre point of the table.

49f0018a58874f41b43f7161b59dbb42.jpg

The centre bearing was originally only a hole drilled in a piece of aluminium, but after some use (and wear!) this was replaced by a small ball bearing race. The underside of the turntable also has two contacts connected to the reed switch.

8f273aa4ed7746f1b284e0408024a6ed.jpg

The table is supported by three equally spaced old-style curtain rollers running on short axles mounted across holes drilled in the base board. Two wiper contacts connect with the reed switch at each ?stop? location.

5a750630419944b6b760930da2fbeb1a.jpg

The electric motor (ex photo copier I think) was ideal, having built-in reduction gearing and a suitable output wheel. Drive to the turntable is via an idler disk, with suitable sized O ring, which is spring loaded to maintain pressure for operation. The direction of rotation is such that under load, the idler tightens. A good idea I thought, except for when things get out of alignment, hence the improved centre bearing.

9e283656682e4c929e40125d061a6f5b.jpg

The ?Ladies & Gents? building conceals the main drive motor and circuit board.

The overall operation is as follows: Railcar arrives at turntable, passing over a magnet mounted just before the actual table. This magnet closes the reed switch under the car which turns off the power to its motor and starts a delay timer (approx. 50secs).

4e20d9a02e3242ffbbfff37bd3253a07.jpg

Momentum carries car onto the table where a magnet mounted under its front axle closes a reed switch located at the centre point of the table.

9834efdd41ec46c1b853e2208cbf9bba.jpg

Car stops before running off end of table (ideal situation). This switch starts a 555 delay timer (approx 15secs) after which power is momentarily applied to the second electric motor. This ?pulse? winds a cord up and pulls the ?latch? lever out from the table and also starts the main motor via the micro switch.

b496ae14c00440e19e9793eec8c788a0.jpg

The table rotates 180deg (takes approx 12secs) and stops when the ?latch? lever returns to a home position in one of two recesses in the circumference of the table. These are slots filed into pieces of aluminium plate. The micro switch turns off the motor drive at the same time. After the balance of the original 50secs has expired the car starts again and leaves the turntable passing over the magnet. This is ignored by the car because of a second delay timer (4secs) inhibiting the reed switch circuit.

68ca6f99e27346378bc7054fff0959d5.jpg

Having now turned the car around, rather than going through all of this construction a second time, I opted for the easier solution of putting a ?balloon? loop at the other end of the track. The 12 pieces of a 4? diameter circle are arranged as shown.

6888cda40e274871bbaeab426e971621.jpg

I have made a symmetrical, spring biased point for this purpose.

Intermediate station stops for the railcar can be organised by placing more magnets on the track.
Other aspects of the project include, increasing the stop time of the railcar from 12 to 50secs, and changing the logic so that it does not reverse direction. I have fitted a two-way switch inside the railcar to select between the two modes of operation. (shuttle or turntable).
So far the whole setup has been very reliable with few problems.
I do have to adjust the position of the turntable magnet periodically, moving it closer to the table, to compensate for the decrease in railcar speed, and resulting momentum, as the batteries expire.

I could come up with a circuit diagram if anyone is interested.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Very ingenious indeed! What I like about it is that there seems to be no, or minimal electronics.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very clever indeed! Would love to see a vid.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Really impressive and very elegantly done. I like the way you've found solutions to some of the problems in the junk box (eg the curtain runners).

I'd be interested in the station-stop circuit. Am I right in thinking you use the momentum of the railcar rather than some sort of decay circuit to slow it down? Do you use a flywheel? I'm concerned that as I'll be using a worm drive (without flywheel) on my planned railcar the stop will be abrupt without a decay circuit.

Rik
Rik

treetop

Model boats, trains and gliders.
1 Sep 2010
Christchurch New Zealand
Best answers
ge_rik said:
Do you use a flywheel? I'm concerned that as I'll be using a worm drive (without flywheel) on my planned railcar the stop will be abrupt without a decay circuit.

Rik
Rik

I did consider some form of speed up/down ramping early on. However I put it in the 'too hard' basket so
yes, it does stop/start quite quickly. Being only a small model it doesn't seem to matter that much. Getting it
to stop on the turntable might have been an issue with an extended stopping distance.
I will be interested to hear how you get on.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
treetop said:
I will be interested to hear how you get on.

I've sent off for the Babani IC555 Projects book - hopefully that will give me a few ideas. Electronics is not my strongpoint but I'm willing to give it a go. If I get anywhere I'll post my experiences on the forum

There is a circuit on the web

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/AutoStop.html

I'm assuming I can replace the phototransistors with reed switches. Not quite got my head round what each component does (the resistors aren't labelled in the diagram) but I'm assuming it will begin to make sense once I start adapting it.

Rik

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
852e3750e9404ee9bd340c49b14b4ba2.jpg

Often, the turntable was fitted underneath the railbus. This enabled the railbus to face the right direction of travel, without the need of a "proper" turntable. Alyn

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
themole said:
Often, the turntable was fitted underneath the railbus. This enabled the railbus to face the right direction of travel, without the need of a "proper" turntable. Alyn

Now there's an idea for a model. Imagine having all that done by radio control!

Rik