turning a toy into a model

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think the clue is in the question - your post #5 says the gear is toast. I think you have to ask the reason why.

Large scale locos end up doing quite a bit of work, and the drive trains take the brunt of it.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If the loco in the first picture is what you are working with then my advice, which come from experience with one, is keep the body and throw the rest away.
The drive is that weak it could not pull the skin of a rice pudding and will fail under a heavy load which is what has happened to yours.
Look for a economical motor block and put that under it.
I put a USA trains block under mine and it worked fine, I later carved it up and used the parts as the front for my railcar, the other half is an old LGB coach.

Edit: If I remember correctly the guage is not correct for 45mm track either.

1633639565429.jpeg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think the clue is in the question - your post #5 says the gear is toast. I think you have to ask the reason why.

Large scale locos end up doing quite a bit of work, and the drive trains take the brunt of it.
well what should do about the drive train then i have 2 gear the need to be in there though since i can put a new gear on the axle

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
well what should do about the drive train then i have 2 gear the need to be in there though since i can put a new gear on the axle
The way that I'd be tempted to approach it would be to try and obtain a gear wheel with identical properties (number of teeth and axle bore) to the knackered one, and do the simplest like for like replacement and see whether the loco can cope with the demand.

If something else fails on the drive train, then you haven't wasted much money, and I'd follow Greg's suggestion and look for a reasonably priced chassis (LGB or Piko) and pop it underneath your loco body.

If it survives, you're in clover :cool:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If the loco in the first picture is what you are working with then my advice, which come from experience with one, is keep the body and throw the rest away.
The drive is that weak it could not pull the skin of a rice pudding and will fail under a heavy load which is what has happened to yours.
Look for a economical motor block and put that under it.
I put a USA trains block under mine and it worked fine, I later carved it up and used the parts as the front for my railcar, the other half is an old LGB coach.

Edit: If I remember correctly the guage is not correct for 45mm track either.

View attachment 290882
Sound realistic advice.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Right now, it might be a good time to get a pair of calipers, to measure gauge, and the gear, and possible fitment of a different drive.

Harbor Freight has serviceable ones at a good price - $20

63731_W3.jpg