turning a toy into a model

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
i am converting an old toy train into a powerful switching/freight locomotive with aduino cameras and bluetooth/battery control any body know how to put a new drive system indiesel locomotive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can find small drive systems, from tamiya, but you said "powerful".... that means a real, rugged drive system, and I would get one from a similar loco. You have a European loco with 3 axles not evenly spaced, you won't find that in US G scale production locos.

If that loco is a clone of an LGB, that is where I would start.

Greg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
You can find small drive systems, from tamiya, but you said "powerful".... that means a real, rugged drive system, and I would get one from a similar loco. You have a European loco with 3 axles not evenly spaced, you won't find that in US G scale production locos.

If that loco is a clone of an LGB, that is where I would start.

Greg
well i was planning on putting a stepper motor in with a gear set but this is my first locomotive and here is better picture of the insidesScreenshot 2021-10-06 4.10.29 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, right off, a better resolution picture will help a lot in the future.

Yes, it is a toy train mechanism, but knowing the brand would help.

The issue will be axles, gears, and drivetrain and to a lesser extent motor.

Stepper motor? no way, you want a good old DC motor... and you really need to think your R/C system through first... a stepper motor would be a bad choice for a number of reasons, but I'm wondering if that came from a robotics experience...

You run the motor from an H bridge, added to your computer. I assume you want remote control via wi-fi or bluetooth?

Greg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
OK, right off, a better resolution picture will help a lot in the future.

Yes, it is a toy train mechanism, but knowing the brand would help.

The issue will be axles, gears, and drivetrain and to a lesser extent motor.

Stepper motor? no way, you want a good old DC motor... and you really need to think your R/C system through first... a stepper motor would be a bad choice for a number of reasons, but I'm wondering if that came from a robotics experience...

You run the motor from an H bridge, added to your computer. I assume you want remote control via wi-fi or bluetooth?

Greg
ok somebody told me a stepper motor would be good for something like a switcher and also the original mechanism died years ago when a gear broke and fried the motor so we are putting a brand new mechanism in

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Is that the original running gear for that engine? Looks more like a steamers

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is that the original running gear for that engine? Looks more like a steamers
Paul,
One of the 'toy' brands.. Oriental in origin..
They use the same chassis, pistons, cylinders, and all, with just a diesel body plonked on top!
I have also seen a 'European' version, with pantograph! :wondering:

I can see where the stepper idea comes from..
Precise, repeatable positioning. - Good for automation, but you could not guarantee a car would be in the exact same place, each time it was uncoupled.
Tamiya do some motor/gearbox combinations, but look for something for a truck, and not a racing car!
Might be worth getting one of the motor and gears 'science' sets? - Whilst it will probably be too big to fit this loco, it will give you a grounding in gears and ratio's etc.
Sorry if you already know this stuff?

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose, as Greg has picked up on, how much power do you want from a powerful loco?

You can have a reasonable tractive effort from a model simply with low gearing, but it does depend on the weight of the trains that you want to haul.

One of the problems that I have repeated faced when trying to scratch build mechanisms, is the difficulty of getting wheels, bearing, gears etc with the appropriate diameter holes to suit available axles / shafts.

I have generally given up with that, and have turned to quality Gauge 1 gearboxes which are available here in the UK at some cost, but which provide the robustness needed for heavier trains.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Silk purses from sows ear's comes to mind. Rarely, if ever works in mu experience. Invest in a decent base product and work from there if you must. Max

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Could you use the Playmobil 0-6-0 diesel motor block? That has RC already built in.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Paul,
One of the 'toy' brands.. Oriental in origin..
They use the same chassis, pistons, cylinders, and all, with just a diesel body plonked on top!
I have also seen a 'European' version, with pantograph! :wondering:

I can see where the stepper idea comes from..
Precise, repeatable positioning. - Good for automation, but you could not guarantee a car would be in the exact same place, each time it was uncoupled.
Tamiya do some motor/gearbox combinations, but look for something for a truck, and not a racing car!
Might be worth getting one of the motor and gears 'science' sets? - Whilst it will probably be too big to fit this loco, it will give you a grounding in gears and ratio's etc.
Sorry if you already know this stuff?

PhilP
well i have some gears and a 3D printer the problem is that i don't how to put the gears in

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose, as Greg has picked up on, how much power do you want from a powerful loco?

You can have a reasonable tractive effort from a model simply with low gearing, but it does depend on the weight of the trains that you want to haul.

One of the problems that I have repeated faced when trying to scratch build mechanisms, is the difficulty of getting wheels, bearing, gears etc with the appropriate diameter holes to suit available axles / shafts.

I have generally given up with that, and have turned to quality Gauge 1 gearboxes which are available here in the UK at some cost, but which provide the robustness needed for heavier trains.
i really just want something that can manage 5 or 6 cars on a 3% grade

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
i really just want something that can manage 5 or 6 cars on a 3% grade
5 or 6 cars might not be too bad, but factor in the 3% and I think a simple gearing using plastic or delrin gears could struggle.

The Gauge 1 boys, and manufacturers like Bachmann use multi-stage gearboxes to reduce the strain on the gear train.

I'm not even sure that a Tamiya truck gearbox would cope with that requirement.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
5 or 6 cars might not be too bad, but factor in the 3% and I think a simple gearing using plastic or delrin gears could struggle.

The Gauge 1 boys, and manufacturers like Bachmann use multi-stage gearboxes to reduce the strain on the gear train.

I'm not even sure that a Tamiya truck gearbox would cope with that requirement.
hmmmm well its a deadrail system so can use rubbber traction tires and maybe little sand