Truck and wheel help

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. New to the garden railway game, but I am a model builder. I'd like to get trucks, wheels and coupler sets, for scratch building boxcars, cabooses, passenger cars, etc for my upcoming LGB build out. (Winter project for the rolling stock) Basically, I want to build the rolling stock, and would like to just somehow affix my 'non' rolling stock scratch build and make it rolling stock. Any advice on products - I am getting overwhelmed and have little detail knowledge. Or decent articles would be appreciated. I am not overly particular on prototyping, but targeting 'roughly late 1800's - early 1900's. Not critical at all.
Advice? Thanks in advance!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Fred. Have you scanned the auction sites for old wagon bases? Or even looked into 3D printing?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
LGB plastic wheels appear to be something that many want to get rid of after converting to metal replacements. The plastic ones can be had cheep and make a good starting point.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
LGB plastic wheels appear to be something that many want to get rid of after converting to metal replacements. The plastic ones can be had cheep and make a good starting point.
I have a few dozen plastic wheels set, anybody want them :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a few dozen plastic wheels set, anybody want them :)
Mizzy put mine on EvilBuy for 50 pence a piece.

They sold like hot cakes....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Me too when I was ebaying big time, have a few in a box myself but this guy is Stateside. Sure there must be someone flogging them on ebay US?

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
It seems like I need to get a chassis of some sort, along with trucks and wheels? I can build everything on top, but I'd like to have a start at the wheel level, so to speak. If a chassis is the way to go, any advice would be appreciated. Like - which chassis and trucks/wheel combonation would work together. I am just struggling to find good info around this.

Thanks in advance!
Fred

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There are quite a few chassis in the LGB range length wise so if you see any on Ebay well worth a punt and would likely come with wheels. But are you going to build a 4 axle bogie vehicle? Similarly LGB bogies and possibly Piko ones could be available on Ebay.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It seems like I need to get a chassis of some sort, along with trucks and wheels? I can build everything on top, but I'd like to have a start at the wheel level, so to speak. If a chassis is the way to go, any advice would be appreciated. Like - which chassis and trucks/wheel combonation would work together. I am just struggling to find good info around this.

Thanks in advance!
Fred
Try looking at cheap flat wagon kits

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Unless you find a few Bachmann kits, there are no RTR US-style 'chassis' available. I build all my own, based loosely on this generic base. given your time period interest, this might be a good thing to emulate. Garden Railways magazine produced a whole range of different cars for builders - scratch or kit [using NWSL kits].

1695467866871.png
1695467942735.png
1695467895727.png

These trucks are the expensive Accucraft archbar style of you period.

Bachmann make them for around $10 - 15 - Accucraft's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more.

Write me if you need to see a sample plan.

Reactions: 1 users

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
Unless you find a few Bachmann kits, there are no RTR US-style 'chassis' available. I build all my own, based loosely on this generic base. given your time period interest, this might be a good thing to emulate. Garden Railways magazine produced a whole range of different cars for builders - scratch or kit [using NWSL kits].

View attachment 318928
View attachment 318930
View attachment 318929

These trucks are the expensive Accucraft archbar style of you period.

Bachmann make them for around $10 - 15 - Accucraft's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more.

Write me if you need to see a sample plan.
Tac - awesome! Yes, would love to take you up on your offer for for a sample plan. Thank you!

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Try looking at cheap flat wagon kits
Hartland made 4-wheel car kits very cheaply and they do come up on eBay and elsewhere. but not many 4-wheel US-style freight cars.

I agree with Tac that there is a dearth of basic chassis. You can buy junk cars and toss the bodywork, but making the basic frame as Tac did is a good start. Most flat, box and other freights were all built on the same frames.

I strongly recommend finding a copy of "Slim Gauge Cars" by Harold Carstens. It is full of plans of narrow-gauge cars and coaches. Out of print, but you can find used (pre-owned) copies.
Slim gauge cars - Harold H. Carstens: 9780911868722 - AbeBooks
Slim gauge cars: Harold H. Carstens: 9780911868722: Amazon.com: Books

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
Hartland made 4-wheel car kits very cheaply and they do come up on eBay and elsewhere. but not many 4-wheel US-style freight cars.

I agree with Tac that there is a dearth of basic chassis. You can buy junk cars and toss the bodywork, but making the basic frame as Tac did is a good start. Most flat, box and other freights were all built on the same frames.

I strongly recommend finding a copy of "Slim Gauge Cars" by Harold Carstens. It is full of plans of narrow-gauge cars and coaches. Out of print, but you can find used (pre-owned) copies.
Slim gauge cars - Harold H. Carstens: 9780911868722 - AbeBooks
Slim gauge cars: Harold H. Carstens: 9780911868722: Amazon.com: Books
Thank you! Just ordered a used copy. Appreciate the advice (One Fred to another :) )

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
Tac, unfortunately, nothing came thru. :( (I checked all of the usual suspects, spam, etc)

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
nothing came thru.
Nothing for me either. :confused:

Tac + Fred - I think GSC only flags a message in the 'Alerts' [top right bell symbol] unlike MLS (Mylargescale.com) which sends an email. LSC (Largescalecentral.com) also only tells you when you are on the site.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
How many Freds am I talking to here? Fred Seider - I'm sending this again using your email. Fred2179G - I sent nothing to you. Was I supposed to?

Quote - 'I'm assuming that you have actually built stuff before - using wood sections, styrene section and sheets - Evergreen/Plastruct and so on. And that you have ready asccess to such wood - I use a local model airplane store that cuts its own wood and does anything I ask for. [Shameless plug for Inwood Hobbies of Huntingdon].

2. When I get home I'll email you some scans - but please use my other email address as noted on the response.

Thanks

tac

Last edited: