Trestle-mounted oil tank

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've started work on my track-side, trestle-mounted oil tank.
I still need to make a ladder and platform, plus get to grips with weathering it.

The tank could do with an outlet, a hose and nozzle I think, or it will bug me

I was thinking of paracord or the hose any recommendations for a nozzle and outlet valve?20201205_113712.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I still need to make a ladder and platform, plus get to grips with weathering it.

I was thinking of paracord or the hose any recommendations for a nozzle and outlet valve?View attachment 277100
I think I'd make a better base for it, the laptop won't last long outside :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the tank-mounted hose-reel, is a little over-scale as well? :wondering::p:D:D

Another alternative for the hose, would be small-bore heatshrink.. The black has a nice dull finish to it.

For an outlet, on the hose: Look at 1/24 doll's house fittings.. A back-entry tap, could be used on the end of the hose?

PhilP.

• Haha

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Oh okay, I'll lose the huge spool of filament, laptop and printer :D You rivet counters are all the same.. :p

Great thinking re the heatshrink Phil. Heatshrink over the paracord or some wire, would give a nice finish, with some malliability of positioning...

Good idea re: doll's house fittings, I'll do some googling for spigots....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If you use fairly thin wire, and wrap thinner wire round it, then cover the lot in heat shrink, it will look like the reinforced hoses that's used for such things

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

I was thinking of paracord or the hose any recommendations for a nozzle and outlet valve?View attachment 277100

For the hose have look at shoe laces, the type used in gym shoes are flat but hollow and can look like a canvas hose, the end can be bent carefully to simulate a nozzle.
Dress making press studs make good tap operating wheels.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
It may be worth taking a look in the toy section of your local cheap / discount shop.
They often have toy cars with petrol pumps that could be adapted. Also Hobby's do a set of 3 pumps for under a tenner.
Paul.

Last edited:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I note that you have covered getting the fuel out of the tank, buts It's worth considering how your fuel / oil gets into the tank in the first place. There will need to be a inlet pipe from near ground level and possibly a pump system / house to raise your fuel up to the tank. Normally there would be a stand pipe with a screw on / quick fit connector for use with flexible pipe to connect to road or rail delivery vehicles. Otherwise it'd going to be a lot of trips up a ladder with a jerry can to keep it filled.;)
Examples:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C6EN2N/diesel-storage-tank-at-a-railway-station-C6EN2N.jpg

Personally, I'm keen on somewhat run down looking fueling points. Plenty of scope for disused piping / fuel drums, dodgy blokes having a crafty ciggie next to the no smoking sign and all the other detritus that tends to build up around them.
Regards
Paul.

Last edited:

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul, that's brilliant. Good point about the refilling too :D