dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to high-jack the excellent thread on Building Tramway Catenary, I decided to answer ione of the posts by these pictures showing some details of how the overhead was built on the Ruschbahn. This was built mostly by myself, though it has to be stated to very high expectations by the owner of the line!

Firstly we needed to get some decent size wire, owner got this. Cant state the gauge but you can see that it is smaller than N Gauge rail. We tried this rail and many others, none cut the mustard in terms of fineness or strength. This was particularly so with the n gauge rail which did not support the pan well enough. We then hit on the concept of Tensioning The Wire like they do on the real thing. For tghis we use Fencing tensioners in hidden places. This is OK for long runs of wire, but for short runs we use the Squires Mini Turnbuckles (Section 26 in the Cat Fittings etc) these are good in Open Situations and can be used so that more than 1 is in a piece of wire. In some situations you can even resort to a pan passing over them.

The real secret is the Buttons, these are fabricated from a Meccano type Skrew as seen below:-
c15c0a99be0f47c587f1f272ceae6e93.jpg

8cfdd711c0404e01a149200a8bb29744.jpg

On the above picture, the Contact Wire is going from Left To Right on the Test set Up. The Cross Wire is the other thinner one. The Contact Wire for Main Line applications is doubled and joined to give that typical Rising and Lowering of the second wire with a thiner wire soldered between the two. We do not like soldering that much and try to ensure that any soldered joints do not take tension. The buttons allow both the top wire and lower wire to move so that expabnsion is allowed.

The buttons thread onto the cross wires that are suspended from Steel Rod that had been scored on the top and had a small grove cut on the lathe so that cross wires can be hung. On the viaduct we built Double Masts as seen below:-
9bda56e48e3c43db958afc8386a534fb.jpg

Some of the effect of the overhead can be seen in the following pictures:-
c92c7bbca9b541d1927e28ce953fda41.jpg

5e69830bf7ae445ea85fc7eb66e1d251.jpg

0855bd976c4a4bacafa70b791577bd27.jpg

d0b46b2aa0fa49b6bee1677f6e7dcc3b.jpg

05e0332d9bbb4b02aaf740fb2d9a9ff9.jpg

Note how insignificant the overhead looks in relation to its surroundings. Just the effect that the Ruschfuhrer was looking for.

Finally you must have a Work Train to deal with the delivery of all the poles etc.
78e99d445df446888b253844a0e845f3.jpg

06f19f47fc6e4acb9ec9a1a1d7f65069.jpg

This is of necessity a shortened account as I am not near the Ruschbahn at the moment to give fuller details.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice tips and info John, I like the idea of the Meccano screws, that could be changed to brass screws. Perhaps the mods could combine the two threads, if that is OK with you, to make all info a one stop resource thread for all. :wave: Alyn

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
themole said:
Nice tips and info John, I like the idea of the Meccano screws, that could be changed to brass screws. Perhaps the mods could combine the two threads, if that is OK with you, to make all info a one stop resource thread for all. :wave: Alyn

No problem with that, I just did not want to hi-jack the other thread but needed to respond to the fact that you can do overhead outside with few problems from birds. Though we have had to make minor repairs due to the antics of Ducks.
JonD

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
themole said:

No problem with that, I just did not want to hi-jack the other thread but needed to respond to the fact that you can do overhead outside with few problems from birds. Though we have had to make minor repairs due to the antics of Ducks.
JonD

I'll agree with you John. Ours has been done three years now ( RHB type) and beforee that
tramway. Cost being the prime factor for using tramway. But in hind site if you are doing the job do it properly
I used LGB running wire and 1.6 mm suspension wire with 1 mm hangers all soldered together.
A long and tedious job done during the cold winter evenings
a4b688d26b394853900fa5fc75dda7b7.jpg

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Some interesting effects
a1f64b3cab27464c8358f466c3e7afa3.jpg

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
.... Though we have had to make minor repairs due to the antics of Ducks.
JonD

Thanks for the detailed description. I 'dips me lid' to your construction skills. But I have enough maintence of track, without overhead to look after. Your article will be a great reference.
I'd love even a short section, but to go anywhere on my line you have to cross a path and I can imagine the damage to overhead and people when they trip. Also here in Syndey we have large possums http://www.australianfauna.com/brushtailpossum.php which rampage around at night

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
gregh said:
dunnyrail said:
.... Though we have had to make minor repairs due to the antics of Ducks.
JonD

Thanks for the detailed description. I 'dips me lid' to your construction skills. But I have enough maintence of track, without overhead to look after. Your article will be a great reference.
I'd love even a short section, but to go anywhere on my line you have to cross a path and I can imagine the damage to overhead and people when they trip. Also here in Syndey we have large possums http://www.australianfauna.com/brushtailpossum.php which rampage around at night
Greg the possum problem could be "eliminated" by hooking up the works of a single wire electric fence to the overhead only at night....traping, poisioning, shooting are all illegal and totally futile.... Unkless you mistake the possums for feral cats which is sort of easy to do.....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks to you guys in UK and Down Under. Your approval of my efforts is much appreciated.

Hm glad we do not have them Possum things over here. I think that they have them in NZ too, I was shown some of the sort of damage that they vcan do to Trees when I was out there in 1987. Nasty.
JOnD

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
Many thanks to you guys in UK and Down Under. Your approval of my efforts is much appreciated.

Hm glad we do not have them Possum things over here. I think that they have them in NZ too, I was shown some of the sort of damage that they vcan do to Trees when I was out there in 1987. Nasty.
JOnD

Well the Kiwis have decared possums a noxious pest.... I had quite an ejoyable pie, possum being the filling LOL LOL I jest not....