TRAM DRIVER ........ CONDUCTOR ......... CONDUCTRESS .......... anybody ????

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
This might be off topic but is there anyone on the "All Things Trams" or other Forums who has actually worked on trams as a crew member .......... by that I mean
Driver ....... Conductor ....... Conductress ????
Actually, I was a newbie trolleybus conductor (I know, rubber tires) based at Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland but was loaned out to Partick Depot for ONE day due to many sick calls.
Partick was 100% spaghetti-like iron rails and wheels ......... not a rubber tire in sight.
Dispatcher introduced me to my driver and off we went.
It was a Saturday, a 2 axle number 9 tramcar, (jeeliejaur), in Glaswegian, Auchenshuggle to Dalmuir West, straight track, 10 miles, 12 to Carmyle.
We got hammered both ways all day.
I learned a lot about trams, loved it and was thinking about building a Coronation tram in G gauge from a Meccano set. It will be very heavy and won't go thru' tunnels.

Attachments

• London-Road-at-Bridgeton-Cross-2.jpg
    London-Road-at-Bridgeton-Cross-2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 0
  • London-Road-at-Bridgeton-Cross-1.jpg
    London-Road-at-Bridgeton-Cross-1.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 0

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I got as far as a twenty minute lesson driving a PCC Car.

The occasion was a 10 year jubilee of a tram depot, with an open house and tram driving lessons. This was in The Hague in the early nineties.

Last edited:

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
I got as far as a twenty minute lesson on a PCC Car.

The occasion was a 10 year jubilee of a tram depot, with an open house and tram driving lessons. This was in The Hague in the early nineties.
No driving for me. It was "FARES PLEASE", money and tickets all day.

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bag. Is the spike for changing the points ???
No. I believe it is a key for opening the simple locks once [still?] used on doors and flaps covering the destination rolls and suchlike.
Ian

Reactions: 1 user

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Is the spike for changing the points ???

No, it's a "key" for opening various boxes/panels that might hold useful things, or conceal the controls for things that passengers should not be able to touch. If you look carefully, you can see a number punched into the key tang, which is matched to the bag number.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Pal of mine used to drive at Seaton, he was also involved at Crich but as ever with him fell out with both organisations some time back. He gets his driving kicks now with driving days at European Tram Systems and preservation grouos that allow such activities. I would never want to be involved with a group of Tram preservationists that would have me as a member.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Is the spike for changing the points ???
For changing points you need leverage, and thus a much longer spike. I actually did this on my tram lesson, they still had some non-automatic points here and there.

It is quite a tricky task, especially if you weigh about 50 kgs. :coldsweat:

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, ...... I remember seeing it now about 3 feet long with an eye at the top I think. Kinda crowbar.
The destination boards on Glasgow double deckers simply cranked, no spike needed as the pax couldn't reach them.
I was only on trams for one day ........... then............
back to trolley busses ........... 96 seated and 15 standees on the lower deck. It got busy, almost unworkable.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
No, it's a "key" for opening various boxes/panels that might hold useful things, or conceal the controls for things that passengers should not be able to touch. If you look carefully, you can see a number punched into the key tang, which is matched to the bag number.
Also known as a T key.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Also known as a T key.
Or coach key, 50 years ago most low security areas were secured with a turn latch that had a square hole, especially under storage on busses and coaches.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Or coach key, 50 years ago most low security areas were secured with a turn latch that had a square hole, especially under storage on busses and coaches.
I imagine these keys were quite widely used beyond tramways/railways. I had one to unlock the bonnet when I owned this:
1709571496052.png
Internet pic: it now lives in the US with its new registration. Key holes are on either side of the grille.

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
A kinda cowling release ............... push in and turn ............. like for aircraft maintenance on the ramp ??????

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Also known as a T key.
They were used everywhere, now seem to have been superceded by the more secure Triangle Key. Let's face it, the more ornate T Key lock can be opened by a large screwdriver

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Until recently, because the trams are out of commission, I drive at Summerlee in Coatbridge.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
They were used everywhere, now seem to have been superceded by the more secure Triangle Key. Let's face it, the more ornate T Key lock can be opened by a large screwdriver
As naughty teenagers we used one to open the box controlling the lights on the SR suburban electrics we took to and from school. We would turn them off when going through Boxhill tunnel.

Paul

Reactions: 1 user