Track wear

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
How about this for worn out track.
At Cheeky Monkey's today Mikes noo loco - did you know he has a noo loco(?) - - - kept derailing. He got no sympathy until Chas checked the track - - - - -
09bb8fbe73ee4840afbf1d369e80c42d.jpg

Now THAT is what you call worn. It was laid on a slope and the inner face had worn to the extent that it was beginning to eat into the fishplate at t'other end!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I honestly never knew the track could wear like that! That still must have taken some time.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Its not a bit of track blagged off Beatties when they used to leave a loco chugging round a circle of track ? I can't imagine a hobby layount running enough to cause that. Mike, prove me wrong.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
Just normal wear and tear over quite a few years I must admit. It is an uphill section and the worn rail was on the outer edge of the curve, it only came to light because of some realignment to gain a little more clearance to the garage wall, a certain somebody wanted to test a recently aquired Mallet (reputedely mr Lumphammers fave loco)

Now you have let the cat out of the bag. It's a black one.:D

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
just put some oil on the track

sounds daft? well a couple years ago i actually did this on my temp indoor layout to ease an older mogul on R1s-and yes it works-sorta-so long as the train is short and on a flat-

i too have a bit of slightly worn GB 1200mm lengths that i bought used-all of $3 US each-and they too have a bit of wear-really not an issue until it meets fresh track and those sharp clean track edges dont quite meet the slightly worn ones-seems to play a bit of havoc sometimes with the skates and sometimes flanges if entering a curve-

it seems quite a job to actually turn the rail-especially with the LGB spacer fishplates that are fitted to give it a uniform look like the 300mm straights

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They use an auto flange greaser at Crich. I'd swap the rails round (outer to inner - yes there is a length difference!) being a tight posterior that I am. Seem to remember someone posting a pic of a Piko loco on test at the Toy Fair - plenty of brass swarfe!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mick

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
The rail head also look very flat in the 'photo.
Of curiosity has a rail cleaning loco been used here?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yes a trackcleaner, and no it didnt cause the wear, other wises it would be the top off the rail...
its caused by the track geonmatry, it s very old, old track from a older garden railway, thats had a lot off years wear, and yes, chass dose do his own bit off long day testing.. it was at the top of a s curve going up hill.. notoicablly its the out side rail with the wear, were the flange would run...
heres the new adition to das Fleet..
Thomas
b7154d9c8313411683f0ac938bb73850.jpg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good from any angle:D
5117962645344ea0aaf67b309a8fd4ed.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Theres plenty like that in the 1-1 railway, grinding and rail swopping inside to outside are used to prolong the rails life..

I will try to get some pictures.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
heres the new adition to das Fleet..
Thomas

Ah, my mistake, I thought he was talking about Mr Lumphammer when he said it was black :rofl::rofl::rofl:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
Quote 'just put some oil on the track'

But won't that affect haulage capacity uphill and attract dirt?

you bet it does-
just a stupid kid experiment on my part-it did allevaiate binding and sqeaking on the curve however-
and i did end up cleaning it all off

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevedenver said:
Cheeky Monkey said:
Quote 'just put some oil on the track'

But won't that affect haulage capacity uphill and attract dirt?

you bet it does-
just a stupid kid experiment on my part-it did allevaiate binding and sqeaking on the curve however-
and i did end up cleaning it all off
In which case, I hope no-one followed your advice over the weekend!! :angry::angry: :wits::wits:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well actually, it works fine on tight corners with an engine that binds
as do the early moguls on R1
-it does reduce pulling ( and sudden stops) but if you have a flat layout its not a big deal-its not like they wont pull at all
as i said, it was an experiment
anyone would know that oil on the track would reduce pulling power
but if flanges bind, it can help

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Don't know if it's significant but that looks like Tenmille track to me - at least the sleepers look like Tenmille. I think Tenmille has a slightly lower profile than LGB.

Rik

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Don't know if it's significant but that looks like Tenmille track to me - at least the sleepers look like Tenmille. I think Tenmille has a slightly lower profile than LGB.

Rik
The track is definitely LGB.