Track Power Feeds

Orgiva

Registered
2 Jan 2016
Alpujarras
Best answers
Country flag
I'm about to go from an Aristocraft Train Engineer to the LGB MTS system. From my TE, I have a pair of track power cable feeds to my rails, to guarantee power over the length of the line.

Can I do the same thing with the Central Station, i.e. putboth of the track feed cables into the Central Station, or is this, either, not possible or not necessary?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, so you have power feeds to two different places on your line? given that you've already got the polarity of the two feeds correct, I'd say yes go ahead and use both feeds just as you do now, ensuring the same polarity/pair matching of the wires.

How easy it is to physically connect both feeds to your MTS box I cannot say as I run an NCE system.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, go for it. I have several (5 I think) feeds to the track. One wire from the central station to a nylon block connector under a signal box model that then splits to various points on the layout

Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I am quite useless at soldering except that I have used a small gas powered iron, the type which looks like a fountain pen on steroids (!) to successfully solder power connections to LGB track. I always use aggressive flux and clean it off afterwards. Ordinary flux I find to be hopeless.o_O
For around 8yrs I was able to run with just a single power connector to a total of at least 100m of track. The brass rail acting effectively as a busbar. All rail connectors were the simple push type with conductive grease applied. After that I resorted to Hillman clamps with just a second power connector.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Agressive flux is normally acid-based, which will eventually corrode your copper. You should only use rosin/resin based flux.

You can get those pen torches with a slip on "copper tip" so you can solder and it won't burn up your flux.

Greg