Track Layout

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers
Anyone willing to help the new guy plan a small G scale layout. Just finished a little landscaping in front of house. I have a 6'x15' area to work that I don't have plans for and just had a son. Thought it might be fun to put a train in here. Have been trying to play around with SCARM to make something work, but haven't been able to quite make it work out. Given the small area, I would like to make use of a few tunnels/bridges to bring the track over its self in places. But, any layout I've pieced together I am afraid that the height at crossing will not allow enough clearance without making grade too steep. I've attached a few images of what I've been trying. I will make rocks and other features to give terrain interest - planning kind of a mountain setting. I have a PIKO Mogul 2-6-0 Steamer. Do not plan to run long sets. Maybe 3 cars and caboose. Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Attachments

• view1.jpg
    view1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • view2.jpg
    view2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • view3.jpg
    view3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • view4.jpg
    view4.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would go for something a little simpler, the gradients though nice to look at can be a bit of an issue. Also the tunnel is perhaps a little on the long side, logic suggests no longer than the length you can reach in with your arm x 2, as in your arm should just be able to reach a little past the middle. Though if you had paving slabs on the tunnel too then longer is fine as you can remove them to access a recalcitrant train. I have done a simpler concept for you with the tunnel at one end, this could be a bit longer than I suggest if you had removable panels to access the inside. The middle would be a hill or planting to hide the rear so that you get a feeling that the train has been somewhere, something you do not get when you can see it trundling around most of the line. Incidentally this design is based strongly on a superb garden railway seen many tpyears back in Continental Modeler, one that has i spired me a great deal.

You do not say if you have all round access, thus if only one side then my 2 Station concept would not work.
704C81F5-A6DB-47E6-9116-CF3188FFE320.jpeg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You have it right, in a layout that small, up and over will force you into way too steep grades. Also you have 3 "S" curves that will not help operation.

If you limit yourself to short trains, short cars, small locos you can do it, but it will be tough. All that said, you can do this, but the loco will work pretty hard.

You might have to limit the speed as the throttle required going up may be too fast going down. Also a train of 2 cars and a caboose is probably more realistic. Perhaps you could be helped with ball bearing wheelsets but you are still lifting cars in a short space.

Greg

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers
Thank you for the guidance. I agree, tunnel was long. My intent was for it to provide elevation in rear and also be a shelter to help protect the train from weather. Access though could be an issue. Sorry for not sharing enough info in original post. I would have access from 3 sides - my house would be the rear. Would like to add a couple buildings and stuff, but primary use will just be watching it go round and round with the 1 yr old son. Although, I would like to make it a nice space in front of house

Attached is a photo of actual space. From house to front edge (rocks) is 6ft. From patio (right) to light (left) is 15ft

[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• actual space.jpg
    actual space.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 0

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers
Agreed - 2 cars plus caboose more reasonable. My logic with adding S curves was to add track length. Was thinking if I could add length, would help me overcome grade issues - didn't quite work out though

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I see that you have an issue with the drop of the land. That could be a little but challenging for a beginer, perhaps the best bet may be to just do a simple oval with some embankments at the left where the land drops. Get a feel for things, old bricks could be used for those embankments with the other end having a trench dug with weed barrier and gravel in the bottom to get started. This will be relatively low cost and a great way to feel yourself into the Garden Railway world. Believe me it is a very different environment to an inside railway!

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers
Believe me it is a very different environment to an inside railway!

LOL - I never do the easy way. Too stubborn. Believe it or not, this will be my 1st railway. Never did one inside either - although I would love to. Amazed at the detail of work I see from others - but, I fear it would consume all my time and end in divorce....... Great advice though. Getting the area level should be doable. The top of rock wall installed across front is fairly close. Just need to back fill and bring up left side a few inches.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Have you a real name you can share?
As you'vefound out, there's plenty of advice available on here, just try to bear with the jokes. My tuppeny worth is keep it simple and build up slowly

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget to factor in access for house maintenence.

Welcome

Paul

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers
Don't forget to factor in access for house maintenence.

Good callout Paul - I most certainly would have overlooked. Cheers to getting your 1st up and running - can see you put a lot of work into it. Hope mine looks half as nice. I read your posts covering your build and couldn't help but note your constant reference to "sidings going to" here and there in the future. Seems you suffer from the same too many dreams - too short of time syndrome that I do. I am far from it, but I am already plotting how to get mine to other areas of house. Would like to end up in the terraced section in back but a lot of terrain to overcome. Starting small though - mostly for sons entertainment for now

Attachments

• terrace.jpg
    terrace.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
mostly for sons entertainment for now
Oh yes, of course. WE believe you :rofl::rofl:. We have to, that's what the other halves were told

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Good callout Paul - I most certainly would have overlooked. Cheers to getting your 1st up and running - can see you put a lot of work into it. Hope mine looks half as nice. I read your posts covering your build and couldn't help but note your constant reference to "sidings going to" here and there in the future. Seems you suffer from the same too many dreams - too short of time syndrome that I do. I am far from it, but I am already plotting how to get mine to other areas of house. Would like to end up in the terraced section in back but a lot of terrain to overcome. Starting small though - mostly for sons entertainment for now
Good plan to start small, but can certainly see lots of scope for future land grabs (for the trains). As you are new have you had a look at my build linked below, though my layout os a lot bigger than your current plans many of my concepts scale down perfectly.

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers

dunnyrail dunnyrail - you have been quite busy over the years. Looks impressive. Very helpful to see what kind of materials/methods others have used to overcome challenges - thank you for sharing

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Jason, I like the back of your house better for a railroad. But I understand that you’re already set in mind with the new beds up front. I also believe your son wants to hangout and play where ever you are working and he’ll be happy where ever you chose to play. With my limited experience I have to observations to offer.
- my grandsons were here for a visit yesterday. First time since I set the track outside. Like with my kids and their friends that played with the train inside they want to make the consist as long as possible; so plan at first a loop as level as possible.
-second- dig an easily accessible cut for him to straddle the track while the train runs between his legs; you’ll suffer fewer derailments.

Edgar

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers

Edgar: great advice - I will especially take note of the 2nd part. I agree, the back yard has much more potential and is where I dream to make it something special. But, much practice and hard work must be completed first