Track laying advice please

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
Hi ,

I am new to G Scale and I have just started laying my track. I have decided for various reasons ( and to keep my wife happy) to lay the track on a raised wooden structure about 6/7 inches off the ground. It has taken me a while to construct the wooden elevation and I am now about to pin my track down.

My question is do you leave a small gap between the track pieces to allow for expansion in hot weather (just like the real railways). I am using Pico track.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Dave

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Leave a small gap on a cold day if it's a hot day butt them together loosely, a small gap also gives a nice clickity clack with metal wheel set!!

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
A 300mm length of LGB track will expand by approx 0.024mm for every degree celsius rise in temp. In my experience, don't fix your track too tightly and forget about expansion unless you have really long sections without a join.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]I use tie wraps as spacers, just stick them in the joints up on edge and pin the sleepers down, then remove the wraps, and all the gaps are then the same size ,leaving the track out doors a few hours before laying helps as well.
1a91267374364df09a693e0243382e85.jpg

I sent the wrong picture sorry
[/align]