Track cleaning

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

I am a newbie here, not really new to the model railway scene but i have had a little experience in the past. What im after is a bit of advice about general upkeep and cleaning of the track. How often do you clean yours? I have a lot of LGB track which does get dirty failrly quickly. I also have a little bit of aristocraft track which does get dirty but cleans much easier. I have a hand cleaner which brings the track up to a lovely shine, i also have just bought a addon for my LGB truck that cleans as it is pulled by a train.

Another question is how do you clean the fishplates that connect the track?

Thanks in advance!

the mickster

garden railway,mtb,ufo's,my sons xbox when i get t
24 Oct 2009
Chesterfield
Best answers
Hi, I use all Aristocraft track and usually clean it once a week.When the track was layed i also put LGB graphite paste in the fish plates as well. so no need to clean these just the tops of the rails. I use an LGB track cleaning block zip tied to the bottom of a garden hoe...saves a lot of back ache..Regards Mick.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I also clean my track manually. I have an LGB track cleaning block that I mounted to the end of a drywall sanding pole. I only use it two or three times during the entire operating season, which is five months give or take. And I run my track cleaning train at least once a week. This is nothing more than a small flatcar with an LGB cleaning attachment fitted to the underside. I pull it with double headed Stainz locos.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/madman/100_1222.JPG

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/madman/100_1225.JPG

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Dylanlewis2000 said:
Hi all

I am a newbie here, not really new to the model railway scene but i have had a little experience in the past. What im after is a bit of advice about general upkeep and cleaning of the track. How often do you clean yours? I have a lot of LGB track which does get dirty failrly quickly. I also have a little bit of aristocraft track which does get dirty but cleans much easier. I have a hand cleaner which brings the track up to a lovely shine, i also have just bought a addon for my LGB truck that cleans as it is pulled by a train.

Another question is how do you clean the fishplates that connect the track?

Thanks in advance!
I clean my track with the LGB Track Cleaning Block and then a wagon with the track cleaning pads underneath as you do.

I use a half pea sized blob of Copperslip in my fishplates before joining the track. Works for me, but others wouls say different. If you need to clean inside the fishplates before connecting, try a cotton bud with some vinegar....

tram47

train , billard
8 Jan 2010
Lot & Garonne (47) France
Best answers
dans le jardin un coup de jet d'eau du tuyau d'arrosage , ensuite le passage de l'engin LGB .

in the garden a blow of throw of water of the pipe of watering, next the passage of the vehicle LGB

tram47

train , billard
8 Jan 2010
Best answers
le réseau d'ARES dans les Landes .
nettoyage au balais , arrosage , et engin LGB .

le réseau d'ARES dans les Landes .
nettoyage au balais , arrosage , et engin LGB .

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
Hi All,

I've just picked up some secondhand hand track and would like to spruce it up a bit before using it - it's got several years of grime, soil etc. on it. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that LGB track was dishwasher-safe, anybody know the truth? If not, anybody know a better method?

JJ.

tram47

train , billard
8 Jan 2010
Best answers
O.K. au lave vaisselle , même certains wagons !!!!!
O.K. To the washes crockery, certain same cars !!!!!

O.K . dishwasher-safe !!!!

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
tram47 said:
O.K. au lave vaisselle , même certains wagons !!!!!
O.K. To the washes crockery, certain same cars !!!!!

O.K . dishwasher-safe !!!!

Merci.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
lgb track cleaning block or loco

in my experience
while not the easiest-the LGB block by hand is by far the most effective-especially on turnouts and uneven places-the loco is a close second

i have a wonderful item by Overhead Railways which I have used for years (prior to paying for the loco)-it is an alumin frame with an axle at each end and two thumb screws on the center side beams- which act as pivots for the LGB track block  (one drills holes larger than the screws, which enter the block sides, and  which allows the block to float a bit   -

the block is set into the center of the frame-cleans lightly and continuosly -or if you add a large 5lb weight-cleans even more-but requires lots of loco push 

i suggest only using softer abrasives designed for rr track-those impregnated eraser type blocks for n scale, HO etc 

when track is scratched by steel wool, fine sandpaper etc, it creates deeper areas for worsening oxidation and dirt collection

i do not recommend the under car LGB pads-they do work but not very well-they are small, catch on joints and turnouts and use pads rather rapidly-but are better than naught

tram47

train , billard
8 Jan 2010
Best answers
i suggest only using softer abrasives designed for rr track-those impregnated eraser type blocks for n scale, HO etc

when track is scratched by steel wool, fine sandpaper etc, it creates deeper areas for worsening oxidation and dirt collection

les abrasifs créent des micro sillons ou trous qui provoquen t un étincelage = calamine = encrasement = mauvais roulement !!!!!
The abrasive ones create micro sillons or holes that provoquen t a étincelage = carbonizes = encrasement = bad rumble !!!!!

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I use a pole sander with the finest sand paper attached to it. Once around the track lightly is all that is needed. I also use a scotch brite pad on the bottom of the pole sander. It does the same as the fine sanpaper but the pad does not last as long but cheaper.

Geoff the garden nav

Aristocraft locos & rolling stock, mid C20th to co
31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
I have experimented with various methods of cleaning and have finished up with a works cleaning train; a Rail Broom kit; Ebay from the US fixed onto a 20 foot flat car, looks a bit Heath Robinson but works rather well with power taken from the loco battery connector, loco, Norms Model Supplies track cleaner, fixed under an old baulk head 40 foot flat car (with marker lights added), short 20' gondola with Brand Bright cleaning pad and Aristo cleaning car which I have turned into a caboose, with clean pad removed (they don't work all that well) working marker lights added. It looks good out on the grade doing its stuff, takes a lot of back ace out of cleaning and means I can start a running session straightaway with a train.

Geoff the garden navvie

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I know everybody raves about there LGB cleaning Loco BUT mine has not been a 100% happy experience Until today!!
My problem was the loco had a hard time picking up current even on clean track I stripped it and cleaned and lubricated it just like your supposed to but 2 min's into another run it would start bucking and stopping. So today I thought I would do something about it. Stripped the drive bloc and rear body and fitted a LGB Loco aux. socket on the back wired directly to the main board at the Power in wiring from the motor block. Now when I put it on the track it has double the pickups and at last is a happy bunny, no stopping bucking just a smooth clean...................................

1e0124265304472ab6f36f8b958e24cc.jpg
fda36ccfb13d404cbfa6ce8953bd653b.jpg
780c54f7a453433c9a7655ed8944f197.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
stevedenver said:
i have a wonderful item by Overhead Railways which I have used for years (prior to paying for the loco)-it is an alumin frame with an axle at each end and two thumb screws on the center side beams- which act as pivots for the LGB track block (one drills holes larger than the screws, which enter the block sides, and which allows the block to float a bit -
Like this one Steve? mine came with a video mount also.....................
1104711efb554a2a85bbbb3d051144de.jpg

Video mount.
5c1ed69b153842dbb23b94704bdc2fe1.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
stevedenver said:
i have a wonderful item by Overhead Railways which I have used for years (prior to paying for the loco)-it is an alumin frame with an axle at each end and two thumb screws on the center side beams- which act as pivots for the LGB track block  (one drills holes larger than the screws, which enter the block sides, and  which allows the block to float a bit   -
Like this one Steve? mine came with a video mount also.....................
images

Video mount.
images

yes-thats it
not too bad a unit-not great but pretty good-especially when weighted-nicest part is the ease of removing the block for touch up on stubborn or below level areas -as well as ease of getting a replacement block (for the time at least-these blocks seem to have a very long life)

from time to time i have attempted to wrap an impregnated cloth-meths or lighter fluid- around the block to remove residue oil and gunk on the rail head after my live steam engines have run-also kinda sorta works -as the rag lifts the unit and the wheels tend to slip over the rail head, this becomes more a drag than using the flanges within the rails-someitmes it works fairly well

and regarding the track cleaning loco

-for those of you that have experienced limited slip or stalling

something i did thanks to some posters suggestion -i believe it was on this forum

in response to the cleaning loco stalling or slipping on grades and in particular, wet track, 

was to reverse the connectors to the grinding motor-so that the grinding wheels would rotate in the SAME direction as the loco wheels

i did this at the end of the fall-so have limited run time

but,

when i did run-the loco no longer stalls on some grades-when track is covered with sap, or wet, 
less risk of divots

and seems to work just fine regardless of loco speed, and also seem to reduce the bounce of the grinding unit when passing over points-downside is that the brass dust is sent aft rather than out the front  and thus collects in the cowl a bit more 

thus far i think its superior, as far as tracking of the grinder and traction
-but given the engineering lgb did on this unit -i wonder if im correct-obviously the grinding would be somewhat lessened due to relative speed of grinders and rail -but this only takes an additional pass or two at best 

if anyone else has done this and has observations/cautions id be very interested (not to divert the thread) 

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I just love that hi-tec coupling system in the first shot of Minimans :D
Good old Peco track cleaning rubber and creaky knees for my track, plus 2 or 3 wagons fitted with LGB track cleaner thingies that run around now and then. It works, so far...
Anyone got a www address or supplier info for the cleaning block holder? :eek:nphone:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
"g clean " by Overhead Railways
did a search -no luck-had a phone number on the frame but has worn off 
sorry

paul does yours still have the phone number?