Track Cleaning Locos "Survey"

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
When I started in G scale in '76 the TCL was not around, so during that time track cleaning consisted of a black of wood & a sheet of emery paper!

OK So 30 odd years later, my track cleaning equipment remains exactly the same!

I did contemplate buying a TCL when they were launched but there were a few reports of problems with them so instead of spending the £250 ish they were in those days on one, I bought a second RhB crocodile instead!

Personally I dont see any problem in hand cleaning the track, it gives one a chance to get close to it once in a while to repack the ballast and perhaps pull out some weeds before they get too big!!

Its not as if my lines have been large, but they were definately not small ones,

My recommendation to any one contemplating a TCL is to think carefully as to whether you would rather have a loco you will use frequently which looks like a loco or tie your money up in something that may save you a bit of time, but not be used on a fequent basis.

There is just one other point though I would make, I have a large loco policy!!

I tend to run only the larger LGB locos, those with 2 motors, the main reason being is that performance is usually faultless and I like large locos, this has a bearing on track cleaning requirements, as the multiple driven wheels tend to keep the track cleaner in use, although I know of one guy who runs several small locos who just couples or 3 together to clean his track!!
Steve I agree that with a short length of track the TLC is superfluous but with 90m at ground level, some of it not easy to access and advancing years :banghead: the TLC is a winner for me!:D

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Aw pooh ! I've just been out to look at my (potentially) delaminating wheels, which aren't a problem, but I've lost the collywobble thingy that goes on the roof to control the speed :impatient::wits::crying:

Ah well, thats the weekend crawling round the railway....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Dtsteam said:
Aw pooh ! I've just been out to look at my (potentially) delaminating wheels, which aren't a problem, but I've lost the collywobble thingy that goes on the roof to control the speed :impatient::wits::crying:

Ah well, thats the weekend crawling round the railway....

I shouldn't worry they are a poor fit in any event!

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
:rofl::rofl:
Absolutely brilliant !

I have a shot at drill so i might try one as well !

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Cool! There's a lot of £.

Hope they weren't all cleaning there wouldn't be much track behind...

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
The P/way gang have been out on the T.V.B.L. today cleaning the track. The main problem was (privet) leaves on the line, and the latest type of track cleaner was in use.

It doesn't have wheels that wear out or stringy bits that get all caught up in the mechanics, nor does it foul the points.

It does however fall down in a couple of ways, it doesn't get the steam oil off the rail and it's a little tricky to use on the section that's 4ft off the ground.

I have no idea how it will work with the 'wrong' kind of snow!

:happy::rofl::happy:

Mikado

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Best answers
[*]How long owned? ---------------------8 years, running hours 23[*]Digital version or older analogue? --------Digital[*]Any failures? ------------------None, totally reliable running/cleaning, but have lost a chrome surround from a light[*]Failures that prevented track cleaning operations?------- No failures but R5 points need a small amount of manual attention[*]Would you buy it again?---------- Certainly, my hobby is running trains, not cleaning the rails.[*]Usually run dragging a rail cleaning fluid dispenser tank car and a caboose fitted with LGB abrasive pads One pass is all that is required

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I bought the original version about 20 years ago and I have since used once every year. It is highly effective and extremely reliable and quite flashy. The kids love it.
About a year ago, I bought the digital version manufactured by Marklin LGB in Hangary. It is equally effective and reliable, but it is not as attractive .

I think It is one of the best loco LGB has ever concieved, a technical marvel.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]I got this gadget from the networld and it works brilliant ,I fixed under a boxcar and after just the first pass aruond it cleans the rail top just where its needed, using it in ordinary train runs the pick up of the locos is vastly improved.
It cant cope with debris on the track like twigs, but not much does really.

I also noticed since I got mine the price has doubled.
167f56b943724cbf9950192c7e30f3e9.jpg

[/align]

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
Well the TCL was never high up on my list of toy's to bye, then the christmas before last there was a new one in with my present's (RED ONE) It is very good save's a lot of bending down (that is getting more of a struggle these day's) Not had trouble on radius one point's not so good on wet track. I sometime's Run another loco with it so it doe's not stick and dig's it self in on one spot, also help's it get up the hill's a bit better All in all a good loco don't know if I would want to pay £500 thou I surpose that will seam cheap in a couple of year's time

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Well I use one of those white pan scrubbing things with the sponge back & a bucket of warm soapy water about twice a year, then rinse it off with a watering can of cold water . Cost negligible. If it has rained since my last session I get out the aristo track cleaning caboose & do about 8 laps of the track. Then clean the block afterwards. It cost I think about £ 40 off e-bay. The occasional bird dropping needs attention with the scrubber again.
No problems with current pick up at all,so far . Live steam has not made any difference as yet although I do my oiling around well before I intend to start & away from the track.
If I had the money to buy the LGB track cleaner would I buy one? No there are plenty of other goodies I would rather have .
Cheers Garry

Kevin

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Mids
Best answers
Country flag
I've had a digital TCL for two years now and I have to say, it is one of the best buys so far; equal to going MTS in my books. I've had no probs with it but I do regularly check the plastic wheels as advised on this board. In summary, I think it is one of those things you would never be without once you have owned one. I use another loco in consist mode to help the TCL up inclines.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Heres mine Cost 80euro Contained in package from Germany 1 lgb container, Track cleaner in three parts, crude sound unit. led lights and a Robbe speed controler. Latter sold foe £30.00 on evilbay. Container value about £20.00 Shall we say £ 20..00 for the cleaner . Good value or what?
52141a43c6f8461cae5369f281e1ad93.jpg

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
so what model is that one i thought there was only really one? it looks great

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
I wrote a short article for Garden Rail many moons ago extolling the virtues of the Track Cleaning Loco. It saves a lot of strain on your back, and if you have ground level track that is difficult to access, or in tunnel, then it becomes indispensible IMHO. But £500? - even I would think more than twice about that. I recall I paid Jonothan about £150 secondhand if my memory serves me rightFailure? Bearing on the cleaning end seized up and had to be replaced, together with the motor (I wrote an item on this on GSM but still have the pics if anyone's interested) - not so easy to do in today's spare part climate I guess. But I was really lost whilst it was out of service!

5b8b3ab9f60b4b68a07cd96b9e71fa82.jpg

Picture as published in GR showing the effect of one pass of the Track Cleaning Loco across a set of points - the cleaning is readily apparent!

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
so what model is that one i thought there was only really one? it looks great

It is a standard lgb cleverly modified gets a lot of attention. What about the price?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
the price is awesome!