Track Bases

rjstott

DIY, Photography, Electronics and Computers
8 Jan 2010
Lougratte, France
Best answers
I haven't started yet but have quite a large area available 20Mx20M at least. It will be a blank sheet although it's currently strewn with hazards such as walls, overgrowing plants etc. Anyway back to topic. I want (as does everyone) something flexible, durable, realistic easy to use and not too expensive. I have looked at lots of choices and was wondering whether there is experience of using Polyurethane foam sheets as you can buy for insulation.

It's not cheap here in France but it is impervious to insect damage (termites etc) easily cut and if covered with roofing felt would look fine and be a quiet ride. But perhaps attaching track might be more of a problem? I guess long fish hook pins (as used for underfloor heating) might work. Anyone gone this route or has a better suggestion?

Just a bit more on the thinking front. Basically planning single track lines with passing loops, perhaps two or more levels and set in Austria, Southern Germany most of the time but I do like American Mikados so scenery will be cuttings, plains and bridges that could be anywhere!

No sidings or shunting in view as I plan to run made up consists from a hidden yard (garage)!

Richard

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
if u want to go cheap, dig out your line about 4 or 5 cm deep, at least 20 cm wide, lay in a foil made of an old plastic-bag (for holding down the grass and plants) and then fill it up with stones (20mm sortation).
With what u digged out, u can make dams where the line needs to go higher.
Make a planum with some gravel (3-7mm, as gusto is) and then lay down tracks. Its not the best method, but its flexible, easy to build, cheap, very easy to change and it works.
Take a look on my layout at www.g-scale-structures.de or make a search on youtube for "CCRR", the roadrunneraccount will give 5 or 6 vids of my layout. Nearly all track is layed down like this.

That needs a bit of "dayly maintenance", but its prototypical and not too much work, especailly when u dont plan to have much switches out.

Greetings

Frank

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I know it may sound strange but the flyover embankment at nuneton junction was made out of huge polystryne blocks and then covered in soil and ballast so if it works on full size i can see no reason why it wont work scaled down.

http://www.vencel.co.uk/products/civil/design.htm

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
I know it may sound strange but the flyover embankment at nuneton junction was made out of huge polystryne blocks and then covered in soil and ballast so if it works on full size i can see no reason why it wont work scaled down.

http://www.vencel.co.uk/products/civil/design.htm

I was going to say something similar; several of the large embankments on the southern side of the M60 are also built on massive polystyrene blocks. They arrived as overwide, overlong trailer loads.
There are now trees growing presumably in hollows carved out of the blocks.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
The last time that I looked B&Q were selling large sheets of approx 2" thick expanded polystyrene in a mottled charcoal grey colour. Would blend in much better than the usual white stuff.
Edit: Forgot that you are in France...but maybe it is available there too...