toy CRANE into signal gantry.JUNE 2010s

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
this is my own idea of kitbashing tht i been doing from my old ex toy crane tht i dont need it anymore so i give a go for kitbashing into signal gantry.....i know it sound silly but it worth it....save me monies.................

hope u like it...so this weekend im doing paint it up and weathering it and aslo of course for details as well..................any comments?

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
prime up ready for painting this weekend....

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Yet another wonderful creation from you Steven looks Great :clap:

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
thks for the nice comments about my kitbashing richie!!!...glad u say it.......

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Steven thats, a great use and its well made.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
the toy crain s are brillent for bashing¬!nicely done:clap:

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
mike said:
the toy crain s are brillent for bashing¬!nicely done:clap:
many thks mike for yr kindness comments..yes it does with toy crane into something else...clever way and save monies..............

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Dave Hub said:
Steven thats, a great use and its well made.

many thks dave for yr kindness comments.....cheers................

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Looking good, Steven. What are you using for the signals?

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
sunday 11st of july..SPAIN BEAT HOLLAND!!.......evening.......painted up matt satin acryilla paint and aslo spare signal leds from my old a.craft siganl gantry.....this week will weathering it all up into rusty and soot and dirts.......aslo bit of details as well.............

pbmm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
good morning gents dull and wet at the moment but will it last dout it so got to get my head into planning mode got to do some repaire work

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
C&S said:
Looking good, Steven. What are you using for the signals?
hi c and s..
just doing free standing like a display without wiring.........but i have another proper one near the fish pond............with wiring up and blinking led....photos below...from A.CRAFT

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Some US railroads used a single lamp in a large circular target (or sometimes two mounted vertically on a pole on the gantry. Large "penny" washers with a small section of half-tube for the shade (either plastic or brass) would be an easy way of making one of this type. A blob of white glue or epoxy coloured with nail varnish would then give you a red lens.

BTW did you get my pm with price/postage on the parcel of parts you wanted from me?

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hey gang, i love that idea using the toy cranes for gantry bridges....i do like my PIKO bridge but it wasn't easy to put together!

take a look at the above photo. i am not into "scratchbuilding" so much, as i feel that my efforts are never really satisfying and the fact i dont have a nice workshop/garage to tool in, that makes a huge difference in how i go about creating stuff.

thus, "kit bashing" is much more my style, it takes less tools and doesnt really cost much .

to create this coal loading crane i took a tonka crane truck, removed the crane (within 5 minutes!) and mounted it onto a "kitchen cutting board" from walmart. i used a cutting board because 1) its cut to perfect size already, its finished, 2) its fairly cheap and its thick.

then,...a trip to home depot provides the legs--grey metal shelving brackets (the 12"/15" length ones) make excellent supports and look really "industrial". screw these to the underbelly and there you have it--an overhead G scale METAL crane with working scoop bucket.

the coal loading center require the same legs but some scratchbuilt styrene bins. to empty the contents into the gondola cars below, i glue-gunned coffee thermos tops (the black lids with a "door" that swings open so you can drink out of them) to the underbelly of the structure...works great! the coal goes out the bottom "door" into the wagon!

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
steven large said:
sunday 11st of july..SPAIN BEAT HOLLAND!!.......evening.......painted up matt satin acryilla paint and aslo spare signal leds from my old a.craft siganl gantry.....this week will weathering it all up into rusty and soot and dirts.......aslo bit of details as well.............

very very nice! here is the PIKO kit built up...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
metzbahner said:
steven large said:

very very nice! here is the PIKO kit built up...

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/lehmanntrainatthesignal.jpg/ < Link To
lehmanntrainatthesignal.jpg

Uploaded with http://imageshack.us/ < Link To ImageShack.us

kool photos....nice!!!!!...............look superb!!!!!.......