Tour of LGB Factory - Nuremberg

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I don't recall seeing this video being posted before on here or GSM but my apologies if it has.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4cklmfnIM

The labour-intensive construction techniques maybe do help to explain the cost (and quality) of LGB products (and maybe why they ran into financial difficulties).

Hope you find it as interesting as I did

Rik

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting video - enjoyed it. Thanks for posting:clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yep I'll second Mick's comments?

Must have been quite a few employees made redundant when LGB Nurnberg closed down....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, seen that Large Scale Online one before but always worth another look :clap:
No harm in re-posting as there are bound to be folk who didn't catch it last time round.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I enjoyed it as well, but in a way I didn't know what to make of it. Does anyone know when it was shot ? They were assembling yellow Bernina railcars so I would have thought late nineties onwards, but that's as close as I can guess.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
have to say , not only interesting, but really explains the level of quality and skill
the molds alone, being made in house is indicative of the level of commitment, as most often those are produced outside

very much old world craftsmanship and quality in spirit-an often over used term , but in this case,
from a family business dedicated to the product
i really feel like i have watched what makes german manufacturing so often superb
and, all this in something as basic as toys/models

no wonder the product was top notch-it seems that each and every worker was a QC station unto themselves
watching the pad printing gives me new understanding of just how much time a single side panel for a beer car takes

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Think it was 2005

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Great watch, but agrre you can see why they went. I noticed an LGB lorry for example, lots of stock and didn't look like production was that well layed out. As said lots of man hours per product. However, it did make me sad watching it as all the people in it are out of a job and its a real end of an era. There's no way the quality is what it was.