Tortoise Turnout Motors

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
I have several Tortoise Turnout Motors by Circuitron that I used for n scale. I’ve built a mock-up and they are strong enough with enough throw for my G scale turnouts. I’m wondering if I’d be able to protect them in “weather-proof” boxes so the elements don’t corrode them. Anyone with experience or ideas?

Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would have though a big worry may be small insects getting inside the delicate gears, they can and do get in through the smallest of gaps.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have several Tortoise Turnout Motors by Circuitron that I used for n scale. I’ve built a mock-up and they are strong enough with enough throw for my G scale turnouts. I’m wondering if I’d be able to protect them in “weather-proof” boxes so the elements don’t corrode them. Anyone with experience or ideas?

Thanks
My local area GSS group's layout has two, for indoor or occasional fine weather outdoor use, fitted under the baseboard operating "Peco" G scale turnouts. If I recall correctly these are at about the limit of the motor's throw. Regarding outdoor operation I suspect it's down to how weatherproof your weatherproofing is and the brand of turnout.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of things that can corrode in humidity that will occur even in a "weatherproof" enclosure. With the limitation in travel and the exposed contacts, I think you would be way better off with LGB or similar motors.

Reactions: 1 user

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of things that can corrode in humidity that will occur even in a "weatherproof" enclosure. With the limitation in travel and the exposed contacts, I think you would be way better off with LGB or similar motors.
Thank you, I see what you mean, I keep thinking I can design something that will work. Or, even better find someone who has already accomplished it and copy them.