Tolhurst Model Engineering?

ChessieRR

Registered
6 May 2011
Best answers
Have seen some videos on Youtube of coal fired models made by a Tolhurst Model Engineering. They looked pretty nice. Anyone know anything else about the company?

-Adam

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
They've been around a long time.
Make a quarry Hunslet and a VOR 2-6-2T.
Excellent reputation but quite pricey.
Of course, you get what you pay for.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Chris Tolhurst - Tolhurst Model Engineers 01284 728643 (from the Exeter Garden Railway Show web site). Chris
Chris does very nice work. You might like to consider a fully working 16mm scale W&L loco at £6,000 (or thereabouts). It has working sanders and steam injectors amongst other things. I just go up to his stand and drool once a year.
I have some of his GWR signals on my railway made up from his kits. They are superb, like all his work.
Steve

BRStandard

Railways- large or small, preferably steam. Skiing
5 Jul 2011
Wadebridge
Best answers
Tolhurst? Just about the best you can get, in my opinion.
Add delivery time scale to the price factor, but a superb product and well worth the money and waiting for.
I should have bought one a few years ago when I was looking at his VoR - I'd have had it now and it would have been cheaper in the long run than the route I followed.

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
Chris and his wife Sandra work to the highest of standards, the word 'bespoke' really has meaning here and the standard of finish is in my opinion unsurpassed in these Garden scales. Although they do appear expensive they are highly sought after so never an 'expensive mistake'. If you are thinking about one i should contact them now though as the 'retirement' word has cropped up. cheers, Rob

sir haydn

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Yes I heard that they where thinking retirment.

I think the W&L peacock is their grand finale. It would be very hard to top such engineering in such a small scale.

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
They are currently starting a batch of Quarry Hunslet's and it may be possible to still order one, the grand finale maybe, just maybe, a Gauge one engine, cheers Rob

ChessieRR

Registered
6 May 2011
Best answers
Thanks for the info. Is there any other way to contact besides phone, and is there a website showing the products?

Thank you.

-Adam

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
They do not have a website, but you can google various pictures etc that others have posted. It is a case of phoning or writing, cheers Rob

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ChessieRR said:
Thanks for the info. Is there any other way to contact besides phone, and is there a website showing the products?

Thank you.

-Adam

If the telephone number Steve mentioned in post #3 is correct, he must be quite close to me!

However, I couldn't find him using BT.com, so I guess Chris Tolhurst is ex directory.

Post Script:

Found him in the 'phone book and he's about 5 miles north of where I live....

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
I can confirm the number is correct, he is located in Lackford, Bury St Edmonds, i am sure if your interested he would be happy to invite you over.
As well as being a superb engineer he is also a really nice guy, cheers, Rob

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mayflower said:
I can confirm the number is correct, he is located in Lackford, Bury St Edmonds, i am sure if your interested he would be happy to invite you over.
As well as being a superb engineer he is also a really nice guy, cheers, Rob

Might see if we can do a visit from our MRC sometime?

One of our members might know him....

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
I would not delay if your thinking of ordering

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
I spoke to Sandra today and also enquired about ordering further engines, as things stand at the moment there is room for maybe two more hunslet's in the current batch, then just a gauge one engine to follow. So anyone wanting a hunslet now is the time to act, cheers, Rob

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Nearly everything has been said about these superb items of model engineering art. Best there is. There IS one more thing worth saying however, and this is that perhaps that these models are not something to start a coal-firing hobby career with. For instance the Countess has working dampers, injectors and sanders and is as scale as it it possible to get. Certainly worth getting something else from a reputable builder of coal fired steam to cut one's teeth on while one is waiting for a new Countess. The baby Hunslets (because of the size of the firebox) are a bu99er to fire and Simon Whenmouth spent a week learning to keep a fire in whilst on a firing stand ? let alone on a track. He now has several of these little beasts ? and they are absolutely lovely ? but I prefer something just a little more relaxing to fire myself.

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
Very true Tag, they are no compromise models, but are the finest quality and probably the best quality available. Yesterday i saw a VOR engine running and that seemed to be a smooth and easy runner, but the Hunslet's size dictates the need for frequent attention, cheers, Rob