Thinking about an airbrush.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've always shied away from buying an airbrush and do all my painting with brushes. However, I've just acquired a compressor for the workshop, so thought I might dip my toe in the water, or paint, so to speak.

So, recommendations for a starter airbrush please folks.

Simple, effective, hopefully not too expensive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I've just done the same thing.
The man in the model shop recommended Badger, which they didn't sell. So I hunted around and found a single action bottom feed starter kit. I can't remember the number, but it's 200 something. Comes with a little tutorial booklet.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Like most things you get what you pay for, i have some cheap Badger ones, £20-30 ideal for general panel work but i also have a 30 year old Devillbiss £100 + now i use for light edge weathering and fine lines truth is the cheaper they are the less detail you will get and be harder to get a good finish. Try these http://www.everythingairbrush.com ...to practise stupid thing to say but :thumbup:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got a Badger 200 and didn't get on with it, it's ok for a paint job but not weathering or delicate painting. My double action brush that I have now wasn't expensive (£50ish) but works a treat.

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Double Action and lots and lots of practice. Clarkes el Cheapo double action works quite well....... after a fashion.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yes double action is the way to go cover all aspects (pun not intended). It is more difficult to master but it does give you full control over the effect that you are going for.
Having said that a cheap single action bottom feeder brush can give really good results by using different techniques like bouncing the spray to give the more subtle results for weathering etc.

As has been said before, no matter what brush you use, just practice like mad on an old piece of kit and ALWAYS clean the brush after use...some cheaper ones may need cleaning during use

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I can thoroughly recommend this one as an excellent compromise between quality and price. An internet search may find it at an even lower price. The advantage of a top (gravity) feed is that the pressure supplied by your compressor is less crucial.

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?osCsid=a60ef7cb919bcef03f3b0d073a986c38&products_id=21056 < Link To https://airbrushes.com/pr...&products_id=21056

Personally, I swear by using Tamiya acrylics too. Much easier to thin and clean, plus pretty much 100% reliable when it comes to drying matt etc.

I still use aerosols for overall painting, using the airbrush for detailed work and weathering. But that's really down to personal preference.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all.

I'll study your suggestions.

It's another skill to learn as I enter my dotage!

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
its a bit of a minefield,,, single / double bottom feed top feed etc

i bought a testors aztek kit which is a bit of a jack of all trades

and is easy to clean and can be used to paint lots of diferent things

i bought the metal version, its well made and is convertible between single

and double action,,,,, which could be usefull

but having sprayed a few cars it comes down to practice and if you have the

touch of a kak handed knuckle dragger it wont matter what gun you buy

not used it yet,,,,,,, but seen excellent results from other people,,

i would see whats on ebay and maby pick up a cheep used bargain

and then practice,,,,

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
You have to clean them well and get the paint mix right. A £300 airbrush with a dirty needle and too thick paint will be worse than a clean £30 airbrush with the right mix.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

daveyb

25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
there is so many different paints,laquers, paint effects, sizes of models
lining , weathering, etc etc,,, bonkers,,

it really takes some research to know everything

but i supose getting a gun and putting down paint is the only way to go

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Double-action with a small top feed cup works best for me for most things. Double-action for control and variation in thickness/quantity: top feed cup as I tend to use small amounts of paint for models so can simply add a few drops at a time via a pippette.

I've got three airbrushes, one's a Badger single-action bottom feed, one's a Paasche and I forget the brand of the other one (it was given to me a long time ago). The Badger only gets used for broad scenic work.

I was taught keep the paint quite thin, about the consistency of skimmed milk.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
If you get a bottom feeder (as I have) make sure you can get the screw-cap jars for the paint for a couple of reasons:
1) Like Mel I use tamiya acrylics and their jars screw straight on and can be re-used when empty (you will always need to dilute the paint initially).
2) Excess paint can be stored and used again.
Like all things, quality costs but is cheaper in the long run (groan).

Whatever you do, DO NOT practice in the kitchen - you would be surprised at the coverage :rofl:

daveyb

25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
good knowledge there nick,,,,,

im gonna have to pick brains in the near future,,,

have a gp9 to paint in cp red and an f3 to convert to an fp7 and paint in cp red too

and thats just the tip of the iceberg,,,,,,, eak etc

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I know I've had a a say,But the very best Air Brush that I have used, was the Grex Tritium TX.
I got to use it at the Big Train Show in California. So simple and good results at the first attempt. Next time I over there, it's top of my list to buy.
http://www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/tritium.php5

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Had to dig my airbrush out to see what brand it is. Still using an extremely vintage Paasche Model H that still works with a careful paint mix.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everyone. Much good advice there, as always.

M

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Badger bottom feed but after talking to the plastic model guys at work I going to get a double action cup fed one. There is one going real cheap at an auto parts chain here that is a good starter one.
Advantages are less paint wastage and better control.
As for thinning paint I have used methylated spirit and craft paint in a 50/50 mix to paint a loco, as recommended by them and it worked a treat, it was cheap and easy to clean up afterwards.
They have also recommended using a lacquer thinner, again at 50/50 ratio I tried it and it works real well at thinning acrylics, it "flashes off" very quickly to give an excellent finish.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I'm not a skilled user. End of that story; maybe I should do a course but I envy those who can spray flames and other interesting designs using an airbrush. I do have a very fine gravity feed spray gun though with a 50mm wide fan that I use to spray models with. I have a tip to help with cleaning. Find a large plastic jar and put a hole in the lid and a hole in the side just big enough to get the nozzel into, put cleaning solution into the spray pot, push nozzel into its hole and spray the cleaner through aiming tangentially into the jar. You create a small cyclone in the jar the cleaning fluid falls to the bottom the air escapes out the hole in the lid. Then put the whole thing into a small ultrasonic cleaner for 10 mins, comes out like new....
The cleaner has other good uses too like cleaning out motors, bearings and any intricate cleaning....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Ult...n_15&hash=item4853007c27&_uhb=1#ht_6871wt_934