Thermalite Viaduct

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

I am considering constructing a viaduct from thermalite blocks- i have been watching our builder cut them with a hand saw...

They look very pourous are they vulnerable to water ingress and subsequent frost splitting?
Is there an easy way to cut curves into them?

Thanks, Ian

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it's been done here, but by whom I can't remember.

But for the arches, I think he used a drill and made several holes before knocking out the waste part, then he filed them down somehow?

Then I believe he rendered them, before scribing in stone work.

Might have been Mike....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
i dont know if we talk about the same. But i think.
Generally both my pics the piles are made of the same material, but this has some technical deadlines.

THIS is too small for that. The pile broke because its enough to get in touch with some cat-circuit to damage it:

9a42f6d1f723427da2d393c9b20ba79a.jpg

This last now for some time (2-3 Years) and doesnt seem to break the next few days...:

7e094ea8abd9411a9915811e4252bc66.jpg

Greetings

Frank

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks chaps - yes that thread was helpful - looks like it's worth sealing it somehow but otherwise a good bet...

funny as trammayo says - i have had problems with exterior paint and frost. I think the atmosphere was damp when I applied it and the frost did the rest!!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
coyote - if you mean you fashioned those peirs from a similar material - you really are very clever ....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
uhhhh...those foreign languages...couldnt we agree ALL human to use german?
It would be so easy! :D

Cogges, i dont understand completely why u call me clever... (even though...i LIKE to be clever.... :cool: )

All i wanted to say is that with this material, going under some measurements (who far depends on the whole construction) means that it is very easyly to break, and with those small dimensions, frost and water will be a much more interesting point than with bigger ones.

So my 8 x 4 inches block for the big aluminium-Bridge is a bit durable. Its a s deep in the ground as it looks out on the surface. I use some simple house-paintings to give it a grey-black appearance. But more and more, the original white comes through.

The small piers carrying the fish-girders were much thinner and didnt last for long.

Greetings

Frank

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have used thermalite blocks with good results. I used Thompsons waterproofer on them to help keep out the water (and therefore frost) - seems to work OK.
882cd0a45c884d01b06fb69ba4f186a0.jpg

a8381a23980f41c6a0709239ca0351ca.jpg

80b56bd829fb4d17ac88821102a89cc7.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Look for some of the Ruschbahn Posts. We used them, been in place for around 4 years with no problem. Finally getting round to lagging with cut Roof and Floor Tiles. I think that I shewed some pics on the recent thread about Curved viaducts.
JonD

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
Hi All,

I am considering constructing a viaduct from thermalite blocks- i have been watching our builder cut them with a hand saw...

They look very pourous are they vulnerable to water ingress and subsequent frost splitting?

Thanks, Ian

Think you should check out Gregh from down under, he's done some great work with the Australian equivalent!

regards
Rob

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Anybody know what thermalite blocks are called in the USA?

I was just talking to my local builder and he's never heard of anything like it. Down here in the South, most homes are wood framed and I've never seen the 'breeze blocks' like this. They have cinder blocks but those are much harder to carve than thermalite.

Any ideas?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Keep chatting to him. They are aerated cement, effectively a foam gone hard(ish) with the consistency of a Crunchie bar (cinder toffee over there). I'm fairly sure he'll cotton on sooner or later. To call them concrete is a bit of a misnomer as there is no aggregate in them so they're not really concrete. They'll most likely be known under some trade name. Durox (IT'S AN "O" :D ) is another name for them here, or Celcon. Try A 'Gargle' it might come up with something.

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I built a viaduct from this material 2 years ago. there is a photo in my railway section if you look at Rathlin railway when it was being put together. I cut the arch with a plaster hole saw about £5 at the local orange diy shop. I have had no problems with water or freezing. Given I live just out side Glasgow I would think it has had a fair test with 62 days of snow last winter. I then cut blockwork into the material with a saw and an old chisel and i am very pleased with it.
if you want some more photos send me you email address and i will be had to send you some. I find posting photos here a pain.
Brian

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I have also seen huge blocks used for below ground footings must be nearly 18"x18"x24" with interlocking tabs.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
Hi All,

Thanks, Ian
I have used what you call Thermalilte extensively - here in Australia it's called Hebel (same in US I think). Its generic name is AAC for autoclaved aerated concrete. But I have no experience with 'real' frost or freezing! There's been many other topics here and on GSM about it and I've certainly tested it for freezing by leaving it in water for a few hours then putting it in my freezer. No effect!
See my webpage here on how to use it.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/hebel.htm

I've used it for both bridges and buildings. So maybe try a simple building outside for a winter and let us all know the results.
673ffcae15c04072b7b5a790defbe075.jpg

I should add that all the arches in this viaduct have cracked over the years but it doesn't fall down , so maybe cracking doesn't matter anyhow.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
that is simply brilliant - i will keep people informed of my progress - will be a few months yet as I need the builders out the way- or more accurately i don't want to get in there way!

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
There was another one as well that put kitchen tiles on his. Can't remember who that was either.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've found out that Hebel is manufactured in Georgia here in the US. I've sent a message to them to ask where I can get it in Florida - we'll wait and see what they reply!