Thermal expansion track section

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
We have some problems caused (I think) by thermal expansion, living in Cyprus so most likely the case.

There was an LGB adjustable track in one section when I first joined the group which fell apart, it was removed and a section of track cut to fit. Does anyone have experience of expansion tracks? Is the LGB adjustable track an expansion track or only an adjustable section?

I have been looking at the SplitJaw site as I am interested in their rail clamps, I see they have an expansion track which certainly looks the part, does anyone have experience of this product?

Robin

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's an adjustable piece of track designed to fit an odd space, rather than an expansion piece Robin.

If you use Split Jaw or any other clamps, I reckon you will have the same problems, as your joints will be fixed tight, so your track will expand and move.

On 12 in/ft railways, they paint the side of the rails white in hotter countries, to help reflect the heat.

I wonder if this has ever been tried on G scale track....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Post deleted as Gizzy answered the question whilst I was typing and posting.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Further to my last post, I had a look at this site for the SplitJaw expansion track, as I've never heard of this product.

It looks like it might be suitable for your needs Robin, as it is designed for the US market. Southern States can be quite warm compared to our mild UK climate.

Perhaps one of our American friends have more experience of this item....

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy and playmofire for your rapid response. I was unimpressed by the LGB adjustable track, it seemed much to delicate for an outside environment and it literally fell apart.

We are using the LGB track clamps which work well but I find gaps around this time of year as things begin to cool down. The track is mainly floating so should allow for movement, because of the track base we need to fix in places which may not be helping.

Painting one side of the track white is interesting, the sun is quite high here in the summer and it would be difficult to chose which side to paint.

Robin

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
I thought there might be a response from the US later as it is made there.

There clamps are expensive to import into Cyprus but look well made.

Robin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the Split Jaw thing it would be entirely possible with a lot of filing (good barstuard file required) to make your own. A few of these located around the line may be a big help for you. You would I believe need to do jumper wires for power security as the rail interference fit would not be reliable for power transfer when the rail tarnishes.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy and playmofire

Painting one side of the track white is interesting, the sun is quite high here in the summer and it would be difficult to chose which side to paint.

Robin
In that case I would paint both sides of the track, both inside and outside the rail.

Regarding fixing of the track where it doesn't float, try using a looser screw and have an over-sized hole in the sleepers to allow for expansion movement....

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon

I have enough to do keeping what we have running, not sure about making my own. However if I did I would make them longer, I think one problem with the LGB track was its short length, its what is making me hesitate with the SplitJaw product. The SplitJaw track comes with 4 compression cable connectors to ensure connectivity.

Robin

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I think the problem would be ensuring electrical continuity between the sliding 'scarfed' pieces, hence the need for jumper wires. If you know someone with a milling machine they might be able to cut some pieces of rail in a similar way; it would just be a case of seeing if they would slide through the LGB track chairs.
Given the coefficient of expansion for brass, I'm surprised this topic hasn't cropped up more.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
It is common to associate rail expansion with horozontal misalignment i.e. a track buckle. However, it is known (and I've seen it), that track can buckle vertically too, even the full size stuff.
What would happen in G scale, is that the track will lift itself up out of the ballast, as has happened on my Taita Gorge Railway.
Also remember that the coefficient of expansion rule only applies to the metal in a free, unrestained, state.... the theoretical expansion is 'converted' to a stress in the rail, relying on fastenings and ballast to keep it in line. Get crook fastenings, and/or a ballast deficiency, then look out, the track will buckle.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar problem (living in Australia) and my solution was the make some track joiners that were a looser fit horizontally but not vertically, I made quite a few to the point that they make up a high percentage of my joiners.
I left a gap of about 1-2mm which seemed to work.
To make them I cut a piece of brass them folded it over a piece of offcut track to form the joiner
As I use battery power problems aren't an issue to overcome poor connection issues I would put a jumper of multi core wire either soldered (preferable) or screwed to the the track either side.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
living in a semi-desert, i found out, that LGB brassrail reacts to a daily temperature difference of 30°C (about 54°F) by expanding or retacting about 2mm (1/12" ) per foot.
my solution was/is to use short pieces of track (1ft), nailing each piece down on one end and leaving a gap between trackpieces. the thickness of a creditcard is enougth, if track is layed on warm, but not hot days.
as long, as i had my outdoor layout, track was separated by hooves, wheels, boots and children, but not by temperature.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Wouldn't a couple of long straight runs of unpinned flexitrack work as a large expansion piece? When we had that hot weather early this year, my straights were more "S" shaped than straight, but there was no problems with running

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Having thought about Dunnyrail and Northsider posts above I do know someone with a milling machine. I will take a section of track to see what he thinks. If I have a result I will post it with pictures.
Robin

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Wouldn't a couple of long straight runs of unpinned flexitrack work as a large expansion piece?

i would not know. when i still played outside, i had no longer trackpieces.

but my estimated guess would be: using long (four or five foot) track should work well, if connected by clamps and nailed down on both ends, but not in the middle.
(indoors i never had problems with the five foot rails i built into my 12 foot bridge)

steigung24.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have had the LGB expansion track on my RR for over 15 years and it never fell apart. It is on a 40 foot run and both ends are 90 degree curves.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB expansion track
These are quite common over this side of the pond, as we get big swings in temp from summer to winter. They work well. I imagine the split-jaw will work too.