The return of Taliesin, the single Fairlie...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
It had to happen I guess. Amazed with the success of the double Fairlie, and rightly so, it is a most wondrous model, Roundhouse have decided to resurrect the older single-Fairlie, 'Taliesin', with many improvements, according to their latest blurb.

Now, with all the new rolling stock for the Sandy River & Rangley Lakes RR being made by Bowaters, howsabout they resurrect their lovely little Forney?

Roundhouse, are you listening??

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I know my friend Steve would order one of those SRRL Forney locos if RH would reissue it. The 7/8th scale one is to large for his railway.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I know my friend Steve would order one of those SRRL Forney locos if RH would reissue it.
Me too! I have room for a 32mm layout on my apartment deck/lanai/balcony. The Bowater SR&RL models seem like a no brainer.

Tas devil

Registered
7 Oct 2015
Tasmania
Best answers
It had to happen I guess. Amazed with the success of the double Fairlie, and rightly so, it is a most wondrous model, Roundhouse have decided to resurrect the older single-Fairlie, 'Taliesin', with many improvements, according to their latest blurb.

Now, with all the new rolling stock for the Sandy River & Rangley Lakes RR being made by Bowaters, howsabout they resurrect their lovely little Forney?

Roundhouse, are you listening??
Do you think they would cater for a little forney? (a lame joke for the isolated)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Me too! I have room for a 32mm layout on my apartment deck/lanai/balcony. The Bowater SR&RL models seem like a no brainer.

It depends how big your balcony is - those Bowaters SR passenger cars are around two feet long and require some seriously large radii of curve to avoid either bowstringing or derailment.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I assume bowstringing is what we call stringlining.... good visual,.
Really? I never use either term. I assume you are referring to the possibility of the train being pulled off the rails on the curve. How is that like a bowstring or a string-line? Both of those are straight.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Explanation - the loco is trying to haul the train in a straight line. the train behind it is on a curve. The train derails across the inside of the curve. It happens in real life. Some call it bowstringing, some call it stringlining, others with less imagination call it the result of an eccentric misapplication of force across an inside radius. I've also heard it call short-cutting. All terms are applicable in this case.

If in doubt, try hauling a few two-foot long cars around a three-foot diameter circle and see the result.

Just in case you'all think I'm imagining this stuff - with grateful thanks to John Doughty.

1586632877075.png

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I understand the concept, thanks, was just noting the different term for what the US calls stringlining. Bowstring is even easier to visualize.

(boy do I understand the concept, I have a 3.4% grade and the longest train is 55 cars, so when I stringline, it's a fair amount of time putting them back in the rails!)

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Explanation - the loco is trying to haul the train in a straight line. the train behind it is on a curve. The train derails across the inside of the curve. It happens in real life. Some call it bowstringing, some call it stringlining, others with less imagination call it the result of an eccentric misapplication of force across an inside radius. I've also heard it call short-cutting. All terms are applicable in this case.

If in doubt, try hauling a few two-foot long cars around a three-foot diameter circle and see the result.

Just in case you'all think I'm imagining this stuff - with grateful thanks to John Doughty.

View attachment 264188

Tehachapi ???

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Bowstring is even easier to visualize.
Well, if you are thinking of the right kind of bow it is. My son plays cello, so when I think of a bow, I think musical - a long straight device. You're talking about a bow-and-arrow bow. Now I understand.

Nice photo.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tehachapi ???

Sacajawea?

Oh, right. We are not competing for odd Native American names, and it IS the entrance to the Eastbound tunnel #10 at the Tehachapi Loop. Of course, the helper didn't help much, as is continued to push......

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, if you are thinking of the right kind of bow it is. My son plays cello, so when I think of a bow, I think musical - a long straight device. You're talking about a bow-and-arrow bow. Now I understand.

Nice photo.

That's odd, I reckon that if you asked a hundred people to describe a bow, ninety-nine of them would mime drawing an arrow to somewhere around their ear, not playing a cello.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Needs to research, this.........

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
That's odd, I reckon that if you asked a hundred people to describe a bow, ninety-nine of them would mime drawing an arrow to somewhere around their ear, not playing a cello.

Or tie something up in their hair or around their neck. That would be a complicated derailment :wondering:

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Sacajawea?

Oh, right. We are not competing for odd Native American names, and it IS the entrance to the Eastbound tunnel #10 at the Tehachapi Loop. Of course, the helper didn't help much, as is continued to push......

DSCF2073.JPG

Been there, done that.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Some call it bowstringing, some call it stringlining, others with less imagination call it the result of an eccentric misapplication of force across an inside radius. I've also heard it call short-cutting.
Medically also known as a cure for constipation

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Guy who sits next to me at work, has got the t-shirt....... he actually comes from the Hood !
Oh, I passed through Oregon on the Coast Starlight. It was night time.

Yeah, but I've got the blisters. A pal of mine took the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, and was very disappointed to find that passing through one of America's greatest national wonders, the Glacier National Park, all happened at night.

Some others say that crossing the Canadian prairies is better done at night, as there is more of interest to see................Mrs tac and I took five days to do it, and were entranced by the birdish wildlife and places to go off-route. I'd do it again in a New York minute.