The Harz System Trams

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
it is progressing Paul. Slowly, like most of my railway. The cabs and sides are done (but one side is the wrong way round! left to right). The motor block is now sourced and purchased. A plywood chassis is under construction. the un-powered bogie wheels will be LGB bearing pick up wheels and are now also here. Give me a year or two.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
it is progressing Paul. Slowly, like most of my railway. The cabs and sides are done (but one side is the wrong way round! left to right). The motor block is now sourced and purchased. A plywood chassis is under construction. the un-powered bogie wheels will be LGB bearing pick up wheels and are now also here. Give me a year or two.

Alan if there is the possibility of some Cab Ends I would also be interested.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
One day Jon - one day!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Am I wrong again, or is that system running on Metre gauge track?

No, you're not wrong, and yes, it's all metre gauge on the Harz system (of which the trams shown are at the Southernmost end, down into Nordhausen)....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The Nordhausen Tram system was expanded by the simple expedient of connecting up to the Harz Line just by Nordhausen Tram and Railway Station and purchasing some BiMode Trams. We think (well idiot politicians and DOT do) that Tram Train and BiMode are the new way ahead and need to be experimented with in a calculated way for special UK circumstances. Germany was doing Tram Train before the Wall came down in Chemnitz and the Harz BiMode Trams have been going for a good few years now. I first photed them in 2010 on my Steam Railway Trip to the Harz.
image.jpeg
The line to the Right below is the connecting line to the Nitdhausen HsB line.
image.jpeg
Here is a Tram just beyond the last picture where it enters the HSB lines proper.
image.jpeg
Well worth doing if you are in the area, oh and do not forget the Halberstadt Trams also Metre Gauge and long in jepordy of closure.
JonD

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
2 Points: 1/ I had no idea that LGB had "gone belly up". 2/ Were/are those Harz System tram/trains running on what looks like metre gauge?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew to answer your points.
1 LGB got trashed by a Banking issue perhaps a decade or so ago now. Subsequently taken over by Maerklin.
2 All the Harz Trains and Trams innthis thread are Metre Gauge, though of course there are SG Trains innthe Harz area.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew to answer your points.
1 LGB got trashed by a Banking issue perhaps a decade or so ago now. Subsequently taken over by Maerklin...........

....Who in turn have now been taken over by Simba-Dickie, the big German toy company - which at the end of the day is probably a much safer pair of hands for them than the bunch of Venture Capitalists who owned Marklin prior to that......

Jon.