The GWW is born

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
This week i have mainly been clearing my garden ready for building the Grange Woad Wailway
019-1.jpg
" border="0" />
Believe me it wasn't like this 2 days ago
023-2.jpg
" border="0" />
And after all the hard work i had to see if i had enough room
Well i hadn't banked on rad 3 curves taking up as much space but on the bright side il need less track :thumbdown:
The main idea is to have a large station on the rasied bed above the wobbly brick wall and a return loop around the large tree stump once ive cleared the logs away
022-2.jpg
" border="0" />
The mainline will come out along the fence around over the waterfall and along the back fence (still not decide what to have in the way of a fence would like a hedge but takes to long to grow) Then come down a level and do something like ive laid it out but returning to the station. First job to do is sink the pond and move the frogs from the old pond before they start breading as im going to fill it part in and makeit into a stream the will start at the pond and continue all the way to the house to join up with the one i made a few years back
021-1.jpg
" border="0" />
026-1.jpg
" border="0" />
" border="0" />The virgin run of the GWW
012-1.jpg
" border="0" />
013-1.jpg
" border="0" />

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Looks like you're going to be busy, Tony - keep up the good work.

John

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
smallish, branch line loco s eh?!!;)

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
I see reverse S curves. Those reverse S curves on the left side of the 2nd pic will come back to haunt you with derailments on longer rolling stock, I highly recommend adding at least a 12" straight between each changes in curve direction. Offered with your best interests in mind.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have fun. All the hard work will be worth it.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
vsmith said:
I see reverse S curves. Those reverse S curves on the left side of the 2nd pic will come back to haunt you with derailments on longer rolling stock, I highly recommend adding at least a 12" straight between each changes in curve direction. Offered with your best interests in mind.

Yes many thanks for that advice what you see on the floor is me playing trains as a reward for hard work and it will not be staying although i intend running on that part later on, that track is temp
Right off out in the wilderness to dig a hole for the new pond, clear the logs and level the station area
later
Tony

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like to record the work done. These are before and during works in my garden.
1aa48566d80b42af8868d52a094a3f89.jpg

59a60e38caa84542827113c7274a981a.jpg

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Based on my experience I would recommend 12 foot minimum diameter for American stuff if possible.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Tony - hope the frogs don't croak it in the move! Seriously though, you've got quite a lot of space - a blank canvas. I would plan mine differently if I had known about sites like this one 5 years ago. Good luck and I look forward to further pictures of your progress.

Mick

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
You will have some fun building your railway and you have aching muscles in places where you didn't think you had muscles, but a pint or three will ease the aches

Jisonga

Garden Railways, Motor Sport, Games Consoles.
24 Oct 2009
South East England.
Best answers
Possibilities, Thats what makes this hobby so interesting.

You get an idea then as work progress's you see new opportunities reveal themselves.

You may have to change your ideas, add to them or if your garden looks different when cleared in the cold light of day scrap them and start a fresh, but that for me is part of the fun of garden railways the constant evolving landscape and ideas to match it.

I for one will be following this topic with interest to see how you go about using the space you have cleared.

Jason.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Today i have been mainly........... working out how to fit a camel thought the eye of a needle.
For ages while planning this venture Thought "Main station on wall raised bit with reverse loop around old tree no problem".
Il let the pictures tell the story but im sure the gap between tree and fence was bigger than it is and those RAD 3 curves are far to big and i hadnt banked on having to build a trestal bridge so early on in the project but im sure Brunel over came bigger problems
063.jpg
"
058.jpg

Im pleased with the way the pond waterfall bridge bit is coming but its all early days

066.jpg

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
The trestle bridge is coming on a treat. :D

Jisonga

Garden Railways, Motor Sport, Games Consoles.
24 Oct 2009
South East England.
Best answers
How many times have i been caught by just how much room this g scale lark takes up, but as always theres always a way round and in your case it squeazing the line past that tree.

Keep up the good work.

Jason.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Jisonga said:
How many times have i been caught by just how much room this g scale lark takes up, but as always theres always a way round and in your case it squeazing the line past that tree.

Keep up the good work.

Jason.

Jason like all of us ive made plans worked out routes etc but its amazing you start off with a big garden worring the pile of track you have will get lost and then when it comes down to reality thats the least of my problems. i mean that return loop around the tree i would have sworn on wifes life i could get a twin track round there with room to spare but on the bright il need less track and its looking better than id imagined cant wait to see something running on it for the first time though thats a while off, got to design and build a trestle for where it over hangs the wall
HAY HO
Tony

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Today i have mainly.................. Been laying some track......YEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive built a wall for the return loop around the tree and made a start on the station complex (track laid loose) The untreaded planks are to be the platforms. The outer tracks that go around the outer loop are the mainline which has a min of rad 3 for the bigger locos everthing else is for running LGB etc.
Plenty of creasote (yes you can still buy it) on the wood and layed the wood on roofing felt
022.jpg
"
Still got to build a trestle for the sticky out bit and a fence in case loco derails on the bend

013.jpg
"
bit of a bottom clenching moment watching the mallet running around the bend with no safety net but all was well
014.jpg
"
The mess at the back is the base for the Train shed and the Green shelf with the pile of track is where the track will enter

019.jpg
"
Station as it will be Though some playing with platform lengths and heights are in order

020.jpg
"
At the other end something like this with In mainline on left and coming out on the right. The one in the middle is a small stuff only branch line

027.jpg
"
And finally as it seems to be important on these threads to have a forman of the "works" let me introduce Gordon. And like all good manager types seems to do a lot of leaning

034.jpg
"
037.jpg
" border="0" />

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
looking good tony
youll soon be playing host to the east anglian massive;)

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
mmts said:
looking good tony
youll soon be playing host to the east anglian massive;)
many thanks will be a little while yet but no problem
Hows the tram ?
Should have kept it but didnt think it would get used
Tony