The difficulty in getting a wide range of spare or detailing parts in G scale

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
In another thread a memeber, Don, was asking for a source of smoke stacks for a loco that he was bashing. There are precious few sources of USA outline detailing parts for G scale (1:29 to 1:20.3) or they are downright expensive like Accucraft. Ozark and Hartford seem the only ones at an economical price but their range is limited. In other scales there is a plethora of items available to hobbyists so that one can detail a loco for their particular line or era.
We of course can improvise and some of us are fantastic modellers who can make up something that looks exactly like a production item. But the rest of us can 'simulate to a degree' using odds and ends altered to suit our needs. A skill in its own rite.
In my case I want to convert an Aristocraft 2-8-8-2 Rio Grande to one that more resembles what actually plied the RG rails. This will involve some surgery on the loco but it also needs two compound air pumps mounted on the smoke box front and also some air tanks with airlines. The surgery and air tanks/lines are an easier proposition but the detailing in the air pumps is quite high and to make convincing facimiles is not going to be practical. So I hunted for some that were produced commercially.
The only compund pump that I could find was made by Accucraft (1/32 scale so just a little small) and it was the two pumps together, but at $99!!!!!. Ozark do a single non compound pump at a good price.
HO scale, of course have a ready supply of these and countless other detailing pieces.
Aristocraft and Bachmann have diagrams that show all of the parts used on their locos , but a great many of these parts are not readily available as they were not produced alongside the complete locos.
As G-scaling is pretty widespread throughout the States and Europe and most of the 'g-scalers' are interested in 'fiddling with and amending' their locos/rolling stock it seems that there is a market niche not being completely expoited (except for Ozark etc)....detailing parts for mainline and some narrow gauge in G scale (Fn3 included)
Oh well, anyone got any compound airpumps out there.........?

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
There are precious few sources of USA outline detailing parts for G scale (1:29 to 1:20.3)
HO scale, of course have a ready supply of these and countless other detailing pieces.

I think the problem may be related to the multiple scales used under the G scale umbrella.
H0 scale is 3.5mm/ft 1:87 and pretty well constant.
What is G scale? Quote:- (1:29 to 1:20.3)
Manufacturers can't produce one item to fit all the G scales.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rob
That is a good point but most USA outline that could do with detailing tends to be of the 1:29 variety and the 1:20.3 locos/rolling stock are pretty 'detailed-up' already so perhaps the 1:29 scale could do with the market being established. It would also cover 1:32 or even 1:24 as it is pretty close.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah , stating the need is easy but he hard part is getting it going. Any 'lost wax' or experienced resin artists out there!

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
I would be glad if someone would start a range of 1/29 parts I have even thought about that myself, I have used 1/32 bits but even that is not well served in bg USA stuff especially in the UK, and despite what a lot of shops state getting basic stuff such as decals and couplings is a nightmare,I often wait three months to get a 1/4 of what I wanted in the wrong scale, perhaps it would be a good idea to collect orders as a group and buy in bulk, and any surplus sold off, and 1/29 is three times HO, I have had etchings made and am having a loco developed exactely for these reasons, I do think they other related scales are better covered than 1/29, there is definately more available for narrow gauge,
beavercreek said:
Hi Rob
That is a good point but most USA outline that could do with detailing tends to be of the 1:29 variety and the 1:20.3 locos/rolling stock are pretty 'detailed-up' already so perhaps the 1:29 scale could do with the market being established. It would also cover 1:32 or even 1:24 as it is pretty close.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Mike
Do you happen to have a copie of the Feb 2008 Garden Railways mag as there is a step by step build of a Aristo Mallet into a Rio Grande Mallet No 3507 shows how to convert the smoke box door and the twin air pumps made from brass tubeing .

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Yeah , stating the need is easy but he hard part is getting it going. Any 'lost wax' or experienced resin artists out there!

If you can make (or get made) an original, Mike, I can probably cast them in white metal - it's what I do for a living! PM me if it sounds an interesting idea..... :D

Jon.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
So far as I can see the same problem applies to buildings. Are there any 1/29 weather proof buildings available either ready built or in kit form? I'm pretty sure the Aristo buildings are 1/22 or so.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
If you can make (or get made) an original, Mike, I can probably cast them in white metal - it's what I do for a living! PM me if it sounds an interesting idea..... :D

Jon.
I was going to suggest your fine self due to your business. The only problem is getting the original made. Of course one could buy it, in my case the compound pump, and then have copies made but it is still the forking out for the original which sort of defeats the the whole idea. BUT to make an original might, in this case (compund pump), will be beyond my modelling skills as like the one in the kit bash in Garden Railways Feb 2008 (thanks for the heads up Richie but they are way beyond my capabilities due to the small detailing finishes to the pumps which the author forgets to mention). I could do something but I know it will not be up to what I would be prepared to put on my loco and probably not what other people would be prepared to buy copies of!. Perfecionist..... moi?....naaaahhhh.
Everything else I could do but those darned pumps...I can see me resorting to the Accucraft pair!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
So far as I can see the same problem applies to buildings. Are there any 1/29 weather proof buildings available either ready built or in kit form? I'm pretty sure the Aristo buildings are 1/22 or so.
Yes Chris some of the Aristo building do seem to be smaller scale 1:32 (?) like their small station/warehouse buldings but then others like the Farm barn, Station waiting shelter and Tract house seem to be about 1:24 -1:22