The Demise of CREST and the Rise of Bluetooth 'Wireless' DCC

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
Bluetooth Wireless DCC anybody?

With the recent demise of the CREST Revolution. I was left with the dilemna of how to control my own high-power and external sound cards for large scale locomotives. - That is, in G, G3 and 5" scales which are currently controlled using extensive hardware integration with the CREST Revolution controller and it's associated receivers.

Having to rebuild and integrate everything with a new supplier is something I am not looking forward to.

Historically: Four or five years ago Navin and Lewis were advised to put a DCC output on the Revolution receiver so that the likes of ZIMO, LOKSOUND, etc could be used to provide onboard sound and if required - locomotive control until they were up and running with their own sound system architecture.

Well, I got shot to pieces with that idea - particularly from Luddites on the Aristo-Craft forum, (Who erroneously thought they had to build a whole DCC track network). The receiver 'would have been' and 'now is' the DCC network! Thus making cabling up a DCC track power system utterly redundant - just as it has now done so in reality.

After searching recently and ready to give up. A chance conversation with a fellow G3 designer stated that a 'Bluetooth Wireless DCC' system is now available which allows your favoured Aristo-Craft locomotives (and others) to be run under battery power.

This is Tom White's wireless specification for his G scale Aristo-Craft Dash-9 install.

Bluetooth Controlled Dash 9 update:
  • - Form factor similar to the Crest Revolution
  • - 200ft+ range
  • - Now supports 12amps continuous draw with peaks of up to 30 amps.
  • - Can now report motor amperage draw in real time
  • - Can theoretically read back voltage level as well
  • - Auxiliary motor voltage output to feed into a sound system for chuff chuff or pulsed smoke system.
  • - Cost as DIY: ~$35
  • - Cost ea @ 100: ~$20
Unfortunately the video he loaded is embedded in Facebook pages,

The system requires a DCC base station to which is attached a Bluetooth wireless transmitter, communicating with a Bluetooth wireless receiver with power output to the locomotives motor, Alternatively an external DCC Sound Decoder can be plugged into the Bluetooth Receivers DCC output socket.

Thus all the favoured sound systems from the likes of Soundtrax, Loksound, Zimo etc cab be used with your favoured sound program editors files. I.e. Legobiffoman, Paul Chetter, Howes Models etc. Thus, sounds such as these are possible:-
  • Battery box switch on/off
  • Cab Doors opening and closing
  • AWS and Fire Alarm test bells
  • Control Desk initialisation sirens
  • Oil pump primer sequences
  • Multiple Engine start sequences (cold and warm)
  • Dynamic Engine Running sounds matched to the power lever position
  • Engine shutdown sequence
  • Air tank popping (water release)
  • Variety of Air Horns
  • Pantograph raise & lower
  • Transformer Hum
  • Traction Motor Whine
  • Synchronised Cylinder Beats
  • Boiler STeam Raising
  • Boiler Blow Off Valves
  • Coal Shovelling
Etc, etc.

Ahem. Just remind me of what the CREST Revolution sound system did?

Well, the Bluetooth loco controller can be standard DCC controllers from the major DCC manufacturers or nice colourful Apps which reside on your tablet or Smartphone.

All the Bluetooth and DCC components replace the CREST Revolution equipment in its entirety. Admittedly, a commercial DCC Base Station is not cheap financially, neither are commercially programmed DCC Sound Cards, but the rest of the kit is as cheap as chips. Plus with the enormous range of sounds from all the commercial DCC sound suppliers . . . Decoders from Soundtrax cover most bases with US centric locomotives, whilst UK programmers cover many UK prototypes and the major European DCC decoder manufacturers cover many, many more US Centric and European Steam, Electric and Diesel prototypes.

CREST Revolution: "The King is dead, long live the King" - Although the Crown is due to be passed on anytime now.

Oh, if this was of any interest just do a websearch for the Dead Rail Society

Last edited:

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Bluetooth Wireless DCC anybody?

The system requires a DCC base station to which is attached a Bluetooth wireless transmitter, communicating with a Bluetooth wireless receiver with power output to the locomotives motor, Alternatively an external DCC Sound Decoder can be plugged into the Bluetooth Receivers DCC output socket.

Interesting.

Sounds very much like the Tam Valley system except using Bluetooth to carry the DCC signals over the air, and having a direct motor output on the receiver.

Is this a new development from BlueRail? Their web site doesn't mention anything about this system, only one where the receiver is directly controller via a blue tooth smart phone.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting.

Sounds very much like the Tam Valley system except using Bluetooth to carry the DCC signals over the air, and having a direct motor output on the receiver.

Is this a new development from BlueRail? Their web site doesn't mention anything about this system, only one where the receiver is directly controller via a blue tooth smart phone.

Yes it is new, apparently the first system in the UK is currently being put together with a ZIMO sound chip.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
The video in your post is for the kit advertised on the web site. It works without any additional equipment, i.e. no base station. They talk about sound, but I don't know how this works. The expansion port is for a "future sound board". Thee is no mention on how to connect a DCC decoder. This all leaves me a little confused.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
The video in your post is for the kit advertised on the web site. It works without any additional equipment, i.e. no base station. They talk about sound, but I don't know how this works. The expansion port is for a "future sound board". Thee is no mention on how to connect a DCC decoder. This all leaves me a little confused.

Why? The description is accurate even if the video isn't.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Doddy, this sounds interesting, but still needs a DCC Base Station. Much bit like the Tam Valley set up, one of which I have but not started to play with yet. My only wish is that someone would introduce something like the European Incompliant CVP Products Air Wire or the still awaited Massoth DRC set up. Both of which would appear to NOT to need a DCC Base Station. But we are where we are for the moment and I have been watching the developments with a system that looks pretty much like this in UK for smaller gauges. It has been a long time comming.

There was a superb article in Model Railroader about putting (or should I say cramming) a Battery Setup in a USA Diesel which used the folowing parts:-
- CVP Reciever and T500 Wireless Throttle
- S-Cab Voltage Reulator
- Sound Traxx Decoder
The resulting job Included Track Recharging IF power present plus a Jumper Cable which when reversed allowed conventional DCC Operation. All very clever and implemented in a typical well excecuted US Way.

For myself I currently have 4 Battery Aristo Operated Locomotives, admittedly lacking in the way that the varying Sound Systems can be activated. But it has to be said that the level of fine control with the Aristo Hand Sets is superb. Sadly I mourne the demise of Arist Crest and the promise of better things that may have happened to the Product had its development continued.

But looks like Battery is turning a corner and perhaps in 10 or so years we will be mourning the demise of DCC Track Power! Though perhaps not as Analogue is still hanging in with Gaugemaster even proposing a new system.
JonD

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I read today, in a post on another (American) Forum that the REVO is not dead. It has been sold by Crest before they closed down.
It is also mentioned that Aristo moulds may make a come back but unlikely to be the great value they were as Aristo products.
We shall see how this pans out.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
I read today, in a post on another (American) Forum that the REVO is not dead. It has been sold by Crest before they closed down.
It is also mentioned that Aristo moulds may make a come back but unlikely to be the great value they were as Aristo products.
We shall see how this pans out.

I've been looking at BlueRail Trains control. Looks similar to the Bachmann HO Bluetooth thing. They are hinting at higher power receivers coming. I have several LGB engines, and all of my Hartland that should work with the power curves they advertise half way down the page.

http://bluerailtrains.com/blue-horse/

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As I understand the Bluetooth system, you DO need a CS to do the DCC processing, but it is not supplying the power to the loco's (assuming onboard battery for this), so you can use a smaller scale CS, so reducing the cost. - Still substantial, I admit.

Or have I got it wrong?

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
As I understand the Bluetooth system, you DO need a CS to do the DCC processing, but it is not supplying the power to the loco's (assuming onboard battery for this), so you can use a smaller scale CS, so reducing the cost. - Still substantial, I admit.

Or have I got it wrong?

As I read the install instructions on website for Blue Rail, it can be mounted in the tender or locomotive and run from DC track power or onboard batteries with no other hardware, like the Revolution was.. But I need to re-read them before I order one.