The Boneworks

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Update

I've finished scribing/impressing the brickwork into the walls and am now in the process of tiling the roofs. It's nearly 1m long and so should look quite impressive once it is installed.

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

The beam engine which I'm presently printing out on my 3d printer, will be located in the engine house on the right hand end of the building.

It's coming together slowly but surely

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Getting closer!

The main structure is now finished and painted. It needs to be properly bedded-in and I need to finish off some of the detailing - eg guttering, plaque, door handle, fancy finial, etc. I could also do with the plants in the background growing quickly to hide the workshop!
IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

The beam engine is installed in the engine house, but I need to install lighting so it can be seen!

Rik

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap::clap:.......:clap::clap::clap::clap:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderfull

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful structure.

And although there isn't any light yet, I already love the idea of the big-windowed engine room.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A terrific piece of work! It looks like you might need to call a roofer, though: there's a few slipped slates up there!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Now more or less finished. I've 'concreted' the ridge tiles into place (with Milliput) and drawn, 3D printed and fixed in place the guttering and downspouts. All that's needed now is to bed it more firmly into the base and add some clutter and workmen. Not quite sure what sort of clutter will be needed - piles of steaming animal carcases, bags of fertliser, cartons and crates of gelatine???
IMG_1180.JPGIMG_1179.JPGIMG_1175.JPGIMG_1174.JPG
It's taken a bit longer to finish off than expected - partly due to problems with my computer and then the 3D printer, and a short break walking up mountains in N. Wales with a couple of mates. But I got there in the end!

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've now blogged the build for anyone who might be interested

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now more or less finished. I've 'concreted' the ridge tiles into place (with Milliput) and drawn, 3D printed and fixed in place the guttering and downspouts. All that's needed now is to bed it more firmly into the base and add some clutter and workmen. Not quite sure what sort of clutter will be needed - piles of steaming animal carcases, bags of fertliser, cartons and crates of gelatine???
View attachment 273857View attachment 273858View attachment 273859View attachment 273860
It's taken a bit longer to finish off than expected - partly due to problems with my computer and then the 3D printer, and a short break walking up mountains in N. Wales with a couple of mates. But I got there in the end!

Rik
Very nice large looking Industrial Premises, could be almost any Factory if that were needed. As for the clutter almost anything will do, bits of broken internal pipes of stuff that has been replaced in the Factory and never chucked out. I rather like to clutter up with bits of old rusty steel rod or tinplate small bits all adds to the general neglect found at a Factory of any kind. Some kind of bins with left over unused animal stuff may also work. Bit macabre I know.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
a short break walking up mountains in N. Wales with a couple of mates. But I got there in the end!

No point going up mountains, if you don't get to the top! :giggle::giggle:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite sure what sort of clutter will be needed - piles of steaming animal carcases, bags of fertliser, cartons and crates of gelatine???

Vultures :mask::mask::mask:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice large looking Industrial Premises, could be almost any Factory if that were needed. As for the clutter almost anything will do, bits of broken internal pipes of stuff that has been replaced in the Factory and never chucked out. I rather like to clutter up with bits of old rusty steel rod or tinplate small bits all adds to the general neglect found at a Factory of any kind. Some kind of bins with left over unused animal stuff may also work. Bit macabre I know.
Thanks Jon
I could print off a few random bits of machinery from the beam engine and have them lying about. I might even try drawing and 3d printing a couple of wheelbarrows stacked with animal bones.... You never know, someone might even have already drawn them.... There's some strange stuff out there on't'internet.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting......
Searching on Thingiverse for 'bones', the vast majority are human, with skulls being quite prominent, but there is the occasional dinosaur skeleton .....
6fab9833cf9b1f462fe8d15767ed4475_preview_featured.jpg

I suppose I could always rename it 'The Weird and Wonderful Bone Works'

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting......
Searching on Thingiverse for 'bones', the vast majority are human, with skulls being quite prominent, but there is the occasional dinosaur skeleton .....
View attachment 273922

I suppose I could always rename it 'The Weird and Wonderful Bone Works'

Rik
Chopped up bits of bones will be chooped up bits of bones. You could always just use the rear ones and have the front bit poking out of your undergrowth somewhere, I have a couple of Dino’s lurking in my Garden. Not everything needs to be taken seriously!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just seen this complete with download details, looks an interesting project that you may find of use.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Just seen this complete with download details, looks an interesting project that you may find of use.

I could sit and watch that for hours!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I could sit and watch that for hours!
You certainly need to get out more Paul! But seriously with a slightly longer prong at one end and a swing ing joint, one would make a superb power device for a model stationary Steam Pumping Engine, have always admired them plus Cornish Beam Engines and one of these should power one nicely. Though what a Cornish Beam Engine would be doing in East Germany May take some explaining!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You certainly need to get out more Paul! But seriously with a slightly longer prong at one end and a swing ing joint, one would make a superb power device for a model stationary Steam Pumping Engine, have always admired them plus Cornish Beam Engines and one of these should power one nicely. Though what a Cornish Beam Engine would be doing in East Germany May take some explaining!
There are certainly some in Holland - the technology was exported to Europe, but how far, I don't know.

It may simply have been that Germany didn't have a need for pumping engines in the same way - obviously the Dutch used them for clearing the polders :nod: :nod: